First Grand Tableau, question about columns and timelines

danieljuk

I've been doing Lenormand for over a year but never tried a GT, I just thought it was too complex for what I know. However had a go last week at doing one for myself. It was very interesting and I did it as quite a beginner. I didn't do diagonals and lots of more advanced techniques. I went simple and hope to keep doing them and to build on it.

My question is about rows and columns. I know that rows are influence and columns are time. The rest of the row before your significator card column is your past, the column you are in is the present and to the right is your future on the same row. But what does it mean where the card is?

I did my GT spread and my "gentleman" significator card was in the penultimate column in the top row in a 8 x 4 + 4 spread. So my future was one card. What does it mean the more to the right you are? Does it mean you are coming to the end of your life? in a "life timeline" type way or does it mean like the tarot that its a cycle. When you get to the World you go back to the beginning. I was just interested what the placement means and what it would mean if it's the last column.

I can't find anything online about what the actual positioning in time means and so would love any insight on it

Padma

I only found two references in regard to position, Danieljuk - that if the significator was in the top row or two, that it (or you!) had more influence on the events about to occur, and that if it was in the very last row, the predictions would play out very quickly.

I would be interested to hear what more experienced readers would have to say about this!

ladybird

I reshuffle and throw the cards again if the Significator lands in the top row.

As far as the Significator being all the way to the right, it could indicate that the past has a big influence in what's happening, depending in what direction s/he is facing. For example, if the Significator is facing East (right), not much of the future is known. If the Significator is in the last column but faces West (left), then much of the past isn't known but the future is seen. I tend to read in directions and prefer Lenormands that have the Significators facing one way and the other.

But then you may have a deck where the Significator cards don't face a certain direction. In that case, you can just take it as an unknown at the moment. Of course, you can always reshuffle and start again.

DownUnderNZer

Never done the 8 x 4 + 4, but one of the German woman that taught me the Lenormand did that style whereas the other did 9 x 4...which is what I learnt.

However, if the SIGNIFICATOR is at the top of the GT, so in your case the MAN card - what cards are to the RIGHT of it are what is transitioning from the PRESENT to the NEAR FUTURE then to FUTURE as in what cards come after to the end of that row from flanking him to far away. I am basing this on if there are 3 or more cards. I am not sure if you are near Position One: Horseman/Rider or Position Seven: Snake. (Houses).

I would say there is an end of a cycle coming up if the SIGNIFICATOR is up that high. :)

In other words, what the card is facing is yet to come, only as the spread goes it is near the end.

I've been doing Lenormand for over a year but never tried a GT, I just thought it was too complex for what I know. However had a go last week at doing one for myself. It was very interesting and I did it as quite a beginner. I didn't do diagonals and lots of more advanced techniques. I went simple and hope to keep doing them and to build on it.

My question is about rows and columns. I know that rows are influence and columns are time. The rest of the row before your significator card column is your past, the column you are in is the present and to the right is your future on the same row. But what does it mean where the card is?

I did my GT spread and my "gentleman" significator card was in the penultimate column in the top row in a 8 x 4 + 4 spread. So my future was one card. What does it mean the more to the right you are? Does it mean you are coming to the end of your life? in a "life timeline" type way or does it mean like the tarot that its a cycle. When you get to the World you go back to the beginning. I was just interested what the placement means and what it would mean if it's the last column.

I can't find anything online about what the actual positioning in time means and so would love any insight on it

Padma

So what happens if the significator is at the very end, and is one of the last few cards? What happens if it IS the last card? in the GT, such as in House of Anchor or House of Cross?

DownUnderNZer

So what happens if the significator is at the very end, and is one of the last few cards? What happens if it IS the last card? in the GT, such as in House of Anchor or House of Cross?

Everything above that card is yet to come, so distant future.

However, the sitter may not be asking about people, but something else. So, the MAN and WOMAN might not be important in the reading depending on what the person wants to know.

If a sitter was asking about LOVE then the MAN card on Anchor would be focused on WORK more so than matters of the heart whereas on the CROSS perhaps upset and worried. And then you would have to look at corners, squares, diagonals and pairing. (To each her/his own method). A lot has to be factored in.....

If the question was about a female's HEALTH, for example, then the MAN card would not come in to it. Positions have to be looked at as well, also....distance.

Others may have different ways of looking at the GT.

As for the 8 x 4 + 4....the last four are supposed to have an overall feel for the reading and extra message.

Padma

Oh, thanks, DND! I asked about that in a thread I recently posted in the Lenormand readings part but no one was answering, lol! That was very useful, thanks! :D

Teheuti

I've found that when the Significator is at the top, then the person has far more control over the future. When the Significator is at the bottom then most things are outside of their control (directed by others).

I was the Significator in House 1 of a very important GT - all the issues that came up were previewed in the spread but, being forewarned, I was able to avoid what would have been a very difficult and very expensive (if it came to pass) situation that was clearly shown.

In readings in which the Significator is among the Fate cards (bottom row of 4), then it is almost like watching the situation play out. Sometimes the GT is describing what others are going through that we can do little about, even if we have a role in the situation. However, I'm still experimenting with how much control this person can have.

Ronia

My question is about rows and columns. I know that rows are influence and columns are time.

I've never heard of such rule nor have I use it.

The rest of the row before your significator card column is your past, the column you are in is the present and to the right is your future on the same row. But what does it mean where the card is?

That very much depends on what question the GT was answering. When I do a monthly GT apparently the whole spread covers the month, there is no past. If I do a GT on love life the significators and the surrounding cards tell the love story and describe the climate in personal life, relation between women and men in such a GT describes the querent and the people he/she is interested in. What it means when the significator is where?

I did my GT spread and my "gentleman" significator card was in the penultimate column in the top row in a 8 x 4 + 4 spread. So my future was one card.

How come? If the significator is the first card then all the GT is all future, if there was no time frame assigned to the GT.

What does it mean the more to the right you are? Does it mean you are coming to the end of your life?

It means you are ending a chapter of your life. If the cards suggest you're facing an ending of your life it will be signified by combos related to your health and life, not by the position of the significator alone. The fate cards in the 8x4x4 (the only GT format I use) are usually pointing at the ultimate outcome of the whole spread.

in a "life timeline" type way or does it mean like the tarot that its a cycle. When you get to the World you go back to the beginning.

Life is a cycle. It doesn't matter if you use cards or not, it's not going to change. To the best of my knowledge, once it's ended, it's ended, what happens after that is unknown to me if anything.

Practice and your cards will help you learn what they mean.