La Lune (the Moon) - how may it be read?

Tarotphelia

Fulgour said:
And those dogs are....

The wolf totem of one of the original Italian witch families,the Lucani , of course.

Sophie

Dark Inquisitor said:
But if it's a river , then there won't be any tides for the moon to influence . ???

Oo-er! there are some pretty impressive tidal rivers around (the Thames, the Severn - don't know if either of them have crayfish though. Not quite as romantic as the Nile either ;))

smleite

As above, so below. The cycles of nature demonstrate the deepest spiritual truths, and none are so eloquent as the heavenly cycles of the moon and the sun.

Imagine a night scene where the moon shines over a surface of water, as in this card. Well, in La Lune you don’t get to see the moon’s reflection on the water (a bit awkward, no?), but you would, in real life. In such a scene, two levels of illusion are represented. The first illusion is the moonlight itself, since the moon is simply reflecting the sunrays; the second illusion is about the reflection of the moon in the waters. There is a child’s story about a wolf and a fox (!), where the fox leads the wolf to believe the moon’s reflection in the water of a well is a big cheese…

It could be a metaphor of life, where some of us never raise their heads to see the moon, and live according to the illusion that the moon’s reflection is a solid body we can reach – thus diving further away from our aim, since the reflection takes us in the exact opposite direction of the real moon. Others realize the illusion, and turn their eyes to the heavenly body; those are closer to reach it, but in their attempt they will, at a certain point, get painfully aware of the striking distance at which the moon is. Oddly, it seems very close only to those that believe it to be down in the well… this reminds me of some modern “spiritual schools” that promise fast spiritual fulfilment… heaven at the reach of your hand.

Anyway, those who are aware of “reality” – where the moon is, and how far it is – and that try to “live by the moon”, are still very far from the actual light source. But at least they follow a guide that turns their eyes in the right direction! Still, there is danger for them too. At a certain point, they will have to loose sight of the moon; otherwise they will follow its nightly orbit endlessly, and will never be there when the sun rises. For those who understand that “there must be something else” (and an eclipse could be a sign for them, for instance), a time will come when there will be nothing. A dark night of the soul, in the middle of the night that is an ordinary life. They will have to stay there, looking up, staring at a desert sky, from which the moon has already retreated but to which the sun has not yet raised. Those who succeed will be rewarded, for as we all know, few things in life are so worth of trust as the daily arrival of the sun.

Of course, there are always the stars to help keeping the promise alive.

Silvia

tmgrl2

Silvia....what a lovey post on La Lune.

Thank you!

terri

These threads have been wonderful and I hope to print them out when we have managed to get through all 78!

roppo

philosophical crayfish

Well, traditionally the Moon has been associated with strange ideas and conceits, may I be permitted to post here my latest wild guess.

Recently I pondered on the d'Este cards; the Diogenes-Sun card especially took my heart. As far as I know Diogenes appears nowhere but on the d'Este. Where did he go?

With the question in my mind I browsed and consulted some books till I found a very interesting thing. My Radom House Dictionary shows a picture of crayfish with its Latin name "Cambarus diogenes". Later I found the hermit crab family is called "diogenes". I am no etymologist and have no idea how these sea-creatures were called in 16th or 17th centuries Europe. Some one with definte knowledge would be greatly welcome!

I am under the impression that in early cards the astronomical three, Star & Moon & Sun, are interchangeable in their designs. If the crayfish of Marsaille is another figure of Diogenes, then the dogs might be easily explained; the philosopher is often depicted with his canine friends.

full deck

A thought upon La Papesse and La Lune

Perhaps the difference between the Papesse and the Moon is while the Moon speaks of the psychological and mystical urges that, at first, have no name, it is the Papesse that knows them and is intimate with such.

Moonbow

I see the Moon as being more about emotions and the Papesse as being the holder of secrets, maybe they are right there written in her book.

Perhaps we we are thinking along similar lines Full Deck.

Fulgour

full deck said:
Perhaps the difference between the Papesse and the Moon is while the Moon speaks of the psychological and mystical urges that, at first, have no name, it is the Papesse that knows them and is intimate with such.
NO 18

Letters that indicate Planets are:
2 - 3 - 4 - 11 - 17 - 20 - 22

Even by the Golden Dawn's angle:
1 - 2 - 3 - 10 - 16 - 19 - 21

XVIII The Moon never alphabetically aligns with a planet (or satellite).
Tsade is Letter 18 and signifies the 11th Month ~ Aquarius.