Mexican Loteria Card Riddles

.traveller.

Awesome! You are a goddess amongst women! All hail AJ! :party:

Bernice

Thought these links might be of interest;

firemaidens' post: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=33138&page=2&pp=10&highlight=loteria
Firemaiden: What is interesting is the loteria cards seem to go back to 15th century Italy - on the history page from website of new loteria artist, Teresa Villegas, there are some reproductions of antique tablas.
http://www.teresavillegas.com/ll_pages/ll_history.html

And translated Riddles here:
http://www.hipark.austin.isd.tenet.edu/latino/translation.html

But without AJs interpretations...:)

Bee :)

AJ

AJ said:
Some special fun...these have been published since 1887, predating the pedigree of many decks and styles
My quote above was based on the set I got. Either way they've been around for awhile. I think these are more fun to use than a Lenormand or Sybilla.

Traveller, Goddess got your cards in the mail yesterday, keep yer eyebulbs peeled for the mariachi music~

Thank you for the additional links Bernice! I never thought to look here at AT. Not much that hasn't been covered already :)

.traveller.

Aaaahhhhhhh!!!! <jumps up and down excitedly> *squeals*

You'll have to let me read for you :)
I've been holding off checking out the links and reading the riddles until they arrive.

Poor mailman, I haven't tackled him in ages, he won't be expecting it.

DragonFae

Okay Cards 11-20 in the corect order....lol...(I re typed the ones I had up already in the correct order and added the missing ones...so now 1-20 are up...in the correct order for copying and pasting into a word doc....)

11. El Melon: : Me lo das me lo quitas: The Melon: I can take it or leave it.

Interpretations: Simply take it or leave it, you decide OR It is time to make a decision OR Which ever choice you make won't have a big impact.

12. El Valiente: Por que le corres cobarde trayendo tan buen punal....The Hero: Why are you running like a coward when you are carrying such a good dagger?

Interpretations: Do not be afraid, you have what you need to be successful. OR Don't let fear rule this situation.

13. El Gorrito: Ponle su gorrito al nene no se nos vaya a resfriar: The Little Bonnet: Put the baby's little cap on, let's don't cause him to catch cold.

Interpretations: Someone needs protected or shielded in this issue OR Take care of those you care about

14. La Muerte: La muerte sirqui siaca. Death: Skinny death.

Interpretations: Denying self something, Dissatisfaction with body/self, Lovesick or missing someone

15. La Pera: El que espera desespera. The Pear: He who waits despairs.

Interpretations: Do not wait too long or you will despair OR someone is giving up in this situation OR waiting is not the best choice here...take action.

16. La Bandera: Verde blanco y colorado, ta badnera del soldado: The Flag: Green, white, and red, the flag of the soldier

Interpretations: Stand behind what you believe in OR There are strong beliefs in this situation and people will defend their position.

17. El Bandolon: Tocando su bandolon esta el mariachi Simon. The Mandolin The mariachi Simon is playing his big mandolin.

Interpretations: Someone is playing music in this situation (making others dance). OR Keep cheerful, follow the beat.

18. El Violoncello: Creciendo se fue hasta el Cielo y como no fue violon.Tuvo que ser violocello: The Cello: Growing he went up to heaven and because he wasn't a violin, he had to be a cello.

Interpretations: Grow up and recognize the harsh realities of life OR When something blocks your way, go another direction OR Even if you can't have what you want, you can enjoy what you have.

19. La Garza: Al otro lado del rio, tengo me banco de arena, donde se sienta me chata pico de garza moreno. The Heron: On the other side of the river is the sandbar where sits my honey with a beak like a brown heron.

Interpretations: True love is there but you might have a ways to go to find it. OR Look and you will find what you are seeking, maybe in an unlikely place.

20. El Pajaro: Tu me traces a puros brincos como pajaro en la rama: The Bird: You've got me jumping to it like a bird on a branch.

Interpretations: Someone/something is pulling your chain or making you jumpy. OR Don't just pretend to take action and flutter around...actually DO something about this issue. OR a certain level of nervousness is present.

Bernice

Thankyou DragonFae :)

Bee :)

.traveller.

DragonFae said:
26. El Negrito: El que se comio el azucar: The Negro: He who ate the sugar.

Interpretations: Someone is experiencing difficulty but is still seeing the sweetness of life OR We do what we need to do to get through life.

Thanks for this, I was wondering how to work this card into a reading. I'm not too happy with the Apache card either, that might have to be my "stereotype" card.

DragonFae

Yes being sensitive is important but one also has to remember the historical times of these cards and also the culture of Mexican...the inclusion of these two cards.... for example Mexico does have the Black Madonna as part of their culture also so...so idk....

I need to get back to putting the riddles up...in order....I have gotten off track on this project!!

DragonFae

21. La Mano: La nam de un criminal: The Hand: The hand of a criminal

Interpretations: Someone in the issue is being dishonest OR People do not change their true nature. OR Be careful of the choices you make.

22. La Bota: Una bota es igual Porte: The Boot: One boot is the same as the other.

Interpretations: Of two choices, one is as good as the other OR Nothing has changed OR You might "see" things differently but you are more alike than you think.

23. La Luna: El farol de enamorados: The Moon: The lantern of lovers

Interpretations: Love or romance is present OR Be careful that strong emotion is not influencing the situation OR Put a brighter light on the situation, something is clouding your vision.

24. El Cotorro: Cotora, daca la pata y empiezame. The Parrot: Parrot, land here and chat with me.

Interpretations: Somone needs to talk to you or you need to talk to someone. OR Don't get so busy that you do not listen to others.

25. El Borracho: A ue borracho tan necio ya no lo puedo aguantar. The Drunk: I cannot put up with the foolish drunk.

Interpretations: Someone is being foolish in their ways or drinking too much. OR Be cautious about overindulgence of any kind. OR Remember what your actions look like to others.

26. El Negrito: El que se comio el azucar: The Negro: He who ate the sugar.

Interpretations: Someone is experiencing difficulty but is still seeing the sweetness of life OR We do what we need to do to get through life.

27. El Corazon: No me extranes corazon que regresso en el camion: The Heart: Don't miss me, heart, because I will retun in a truck.

Interpretations: Don't give up OR This love is true OR A longing for someone or something.

28. La Sandia: La barriga que Juan tenia ere empacho de sandia. The Watermelon: John's belly was stuffed full of watermelon.

Interpretations: Things are going well. OR Indulge in the pleasures of life OR There is enough here, do not worry.

29. El Tambor: No te arrugues cuero viejo que te quiero pa'tambor. The Drum: Don't wrinkle old leather, because I want you for my drum.

Interpretations: Careful, someone wants you. OR There is value here. OR Things may not be as they appear.

30. El Camaron: Camaron que se duerme se lo lleva al corriente. The Shrimp: The shrimp that sleeps is carried by the current.

Interpretations: He who hesitates is lost. OR Take some action or you will be pulled about by others. OR Take control of the situation. OR Being passive is not the best choice here.

AJ

I've been wondering if we should put up a one time reading circle for these, see how we do? The kind where 1 reads for 2 reads for 3 reads for 1