Bicycle/Ellusionist & other dark playing card decks

Essjay

ZKEI said:
If you like the Anne Stokes, have you checked the Alchemy 1977 England?

However, IMO, such illustrated decks look nice, but lack some kinds of the classical playing card magic. If I need card decks with illustrations, I would choose from a wide range of the tarot decks instead.

:)

Thanks ZKEI, this is a great deck!

Oh dear, I feel this thread has created a new obsession for me :D

DaughterOfDanu

I never knew there were so many really nice playing card decks.
I fell in love with the Karnival Dead Eyes. I'm ordering it now and I can't wait to get it in. Usually I'm not one for overly gorey/bloody/gothy decks in my collection (Yet I'm a huge fan of survival horror videogames) but this deck is a must have.

Le Fanu

Essjay said:
Oh dear, I feel this thread has created a new obsession for me :D
They're so cheap! How can you complain? A solution for card lovers in times of crisis...})

strings of life

Le Fanu said:
So true!

The postman has just been and delivered my Bicycle 1800s deck (dark blue backs). It is stunning. So, so beautiful. I am totally in love with it; the distressed details, the fabulousness of the cardstock; so smooth, fans like a dream. a deck you just want to shuffle forever. If any of you held this in your hands, you would vow to learn cartomantic pip reading with a Poker deck. What an incentive a deck like this is! And only a fiver!

I shall certainly need more!
Ah, I ordered this one last night. I'm taking tarotmama's cartomancy reading e-class now and it seemed perfect. I can't wait to see it in person after your review.

2 more suggestions:

- I ordered comic book artist Frank Miller's Sin City (based on the comic book which became the film directed by Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez). Link here. Cost 2.99. I can't wait for it to arrive!

- Another was an Etsy find that I recommended to Le Fanu. The card stock is a bit thin since it is self-published, but the cards are charming. I traded mine and just reacquired it from the person I traded it to ;). Portable Fortitude: 54 Talismans for Home and Abroad. The artist just got funding via Kickstarter to publish a second edition. There's a great video interview with her here. All of the cards can be viewed on her web site.

Flaxen

aurarcana said:
- Another was an Etsy find that I recommended to Le Fanu. The card stock is a bit thin since it is self-published, but the cards are charming. I traded mine and just reacquired it from the person I traded it to ;). Portable Fortitude: 54 Talismans for Home and Abroad. The artist just got funding via Kickstarter to publish a second edition. There's a great video interview with her here. All of the cards can be viewed on her web site.

I really like this one - what a great find, aurarcana.

Essjay

Flaxen said:
I really like this one - what a great find, aurarcana.

I agree, what a beautiful deck.

Le Fanu - so true, I can be guilt free, hoorah! :D

Le Fanu

aurarcana said:
Another was an Etsy find that I recommended to Le Fanu. The card stock is a bit thin since it is self-published, but the cards are charming. I traded mine and just reacquired it from the person I traded it to ;). Portable Fortitude: 54 Talismans for Home and Abroad. The artist just got funding via Kickstarter to publish a second edition. There's a great video interview with her here. All of the cards can be viewed on her web site.
I hope this is in that other thread, "decks similar to the Playing Card Oracles" as this deck is the most similar deck I have seen to it yet. I don't have it yet but may get myself one. What I love about these Bicycle ones is that they maintain traditional Playing Card design, same courts, same pips, but with interferences, distortions, ageing. I have not been able to stop playing with my 1800s deck (and I found a beautiful little soft leather case by Fossil which perfectly fits the deck in its box, and which I can use to carry it around). I'm in awe of the cardstock. So flexible but you can feel that it will last forever. This would be my dream cardstock and I have no idea why this isn't used for tarot decks. Or why U.S Games don't go into partnership with Bicycle. I would love tarot cards like this.

Can't wait for my others to arrive. Finally I think I'm getting a sense of the different decks and which ones I like. After all, the 1800s one may well end up being my favourite!

Rhinemaiden

Le Fanu, isn't it fun to discover a new facet to collecting? You may have convinced me to go for the Bicycle 1800 deck... I rec'd The Key to the Kingdom yesterday (transformation deck and book - stunning art!) and am seeking out other transformation decks...;)

so many decks out there, so little space! :D

--------------

here's a link to some transformation decks:

http://www.gamesetal.net/tro.html

Le Fanu

I :heart: Transformational decks... (I assume you know the LoS Goethe Playing Cards??)

One thing I find myself thinking is where I can get some more nice leather card cases. I think I'm going to need some more... tarot bags are a bit too big for conventional playing cards. Sometimes, leather cigarette cases work but the Bicycle decks are slightly wider and don't fit. Anyone know any Europe-based stockists?