Confused about crystal names...

Tigerangel

I recently watched a video by hibiscus moon, and she was talking about TM crystals and that it was way for sellers to charge extra, so when you go to a crystal fair never ask for what your looking for by its trademarked name instead look for crystals that are being sold by there metaphysical mineral name, and normally the name would be trademarked when it came from a certain place or mine.

I agree with you its so confusing when one crystal is given more than one name to it, then the slap a trademark on it, one nice simple name for each crystal would suit me, but with the amount of crystal varieties and combinations of minerals within the one stone, I don't see simplicity ever being a part of the crystal world.

I've added a blog I found talking about the trade marketing of crystals you might find it interesting to read.

http://crystal-information.com/the-trademarking-of-crystals/

celticnoodle

I'm very unknowledgeable about this stuff...

Padma? CN? Goth? Anyone? :)
I really don't know that much and was about to tell you to PM Padma directly. :laugh:

Thank you, Padma! You are awesome and a walking gem/stone encyclopedia! lol :)
I agree! :)

Also Delitz is as well, btw and I'm sure there are many others here too.

I agree with Padma, and in regards to "Azeztulite" I would like to point out that even if the story about the mysterious "Azez" is true, that pretty white quartz with the nice vibrations is literally *everywhere* in North Carolina. I could, right now, pick up a shovel and dig up boulders of it in my yard. True or not, the price alone makes it a scam.
This is the 2nd time I've read about this crystal today and heard they are from NC. Very cool!

I know NY has the Herkimer Diamond and my husband has an office friend who grew up in Herkimer. He told the hubby they were always finding the herkimer diamonds whenever they dug in their yard.

I am hoping to go there for my birthday in October. I also am hoping that I can find some fine specimens of this crystal! Maybe I should just go digging outside of the mines in peoples yards! :laugh:

*kidding*

:D

EmpressArwen

I recently watched a video by hibiscus moon, and she was talking about TM crystals and that it was way for sellers to charge extra, so when you go to a crystal fair never ask for what your looking for by its trademarked name instead look for crystals that are being sold by there metaphysical mineral name, and normally the name would be trademarked when it came from a certain place or mine.

I agree with you its so confusing when one crystal is given more than one name to it, then the slap a trademark on it, one nice simple name for each crystal would suit me, but with the amount of crystal varieties and combinations of minerals within the one stone, I don't see simplicity ever being a part of the crystal world.

I've added a blog I found talking about the trade marketing of crystals you might find it interesting to read.

Haha! That blog is great and very informative! Thank you!

EmpressArwen

I agree with Padma, and in regards to "Azeztulite" I would like to point out that even if the story about the mysterious "Azez" is true, that pretty white quartz with the nice vibrations is literally *everywhere* in North Carolina. I could, right now, pick up a shovel and dig up boulders of it in my yard. True or not, the price alone makes it a scam.

This is crazy to me...how someone can trademark something that is readily available to everyone?!

Redfaery

This is crazy to me...how someone can trademark something that is readily available to everyone?!
It's the name and the story that goes with it that's trademarked, I believe. You can't *really* trademark the stone itself. :) But you CAN sell it under a trademarked name.

EmpressArwen

It's the name and the story that goes with it that's trademarked, I believe. You can't *really* trademark the stone itself. :) But you CAN sell it under a trademarked name.

Ah I see! Lol Still crazy! ;)

Padma

Tigerangel, that was a great blog post. I loved it, thanks for sharing! The sad part is Robert Simmons actually put out an amazing book called the Book of Stones, with Naisha Ahsian, which has *great* info in it. As he also included the Azez stones (I skipped that chapter, thanks, cynical me! :rolleyes:) I felt he side swiped at the credulity of his otherwise very well researched and excellent book in regard to crystal healing work.

I guess some people just get caught up in the hype and the $$$. It is too bad, as he is otherwise a credible, intelligent, and informative voice in the crystal healing world.

EmpressArwen

I read the page about the Azezulite (probably misspelling) on Simmons page...well, I mean, maybe he is being completely sincere?? I have no idea but I guess I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that. I don't believe in the Azez but I believe in all kinds of strange things that others dont so who knows? lol Also it sounds like he charges these stones in some kind of labyrinth with a pyramid. This sounds strange to me but I've seen lots of stones being sold that say they are charged with reiki energy,so I guess this would be similiar?

I guess the sticking point for me is moving to New Zealand appropriating all the stones/crystals there and renaming to make a profit. Maybe he really does think its right....hmmmm. Seems...odd.

EmpyreanKnight

Apparently, some crystals are supposed to be stronger than others depending where they come from, according to some of the crystal bibles I have read. But personally, I do not find this to be true. In my long experience of using crystals, they all work equally well if they are meant to be those that should work with you. In other words, if you get the crystal that seems to choose you, or the crystal that best fits the cure for your issue, you are good to go!

In regard to the TM crystals, I personally think it is a money grab. This is based upon the opinion of various mineralogical societies, who say the TM'd stones are the same in composition to their trade-mark free equals. ;) I'd say that anyone who tells you a stone from a specific region works better than the same stone from another region is just as misled as those who claim TM stones work better than their un-TM'd sisters and brothers.

Thanks for this, Padma! I myself am leaning more towards the incredulous side, though other viewpoints are very much welcome.

Though, hmmmmmm, I think the collecting bug's bit me, and I aim to collect the 12 synergy stones - one for each month of the year. Of the 12, only 2 are trademarked - Azeztulite and Satyaloka Quartz, so I don't think it will hurt.

I only have the Pocket Book of Stones, but it is still is a treasure trove! One does get both curious and wary of all those trademarked crystals though.

EmpyreanKnight

Also it sounds like he charges these stones in some kind of labyrinth with a pyramid. This sounds strange to me but I've seen lots of stones being sold that say they are charged with reiki energy,so I guess this would be similiar?

Yup, this is just what I was thinking, EmpressArwen. Perhaps they perform special purification/cleansing/charging rituals on the crystals, or they undergo some highly secret esoteric processes that somehow amplifies their energies. But are these really effective?

Regarding the "they're still similar" line, one can ask the same questions of naturally-occuring versus laboratory-created crystals. If structurally and chemically they are just the same, why do we feel that natural crystals are just more powerful than their man-made doppelgangers? Is it the processes they went through, oftentimes spanning millenia, that make them more potent? Some trademarked crystals went through special processes (though admittedly human-induced), so doesn't that make them superior too, somehow?

I guess when it comes down to it, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, although our metaphysical experiences with the crystals we work with can hardly be objectively and scientifically tested, and will of course vary from one person to another. Anyway, perhaps some members here have bought some trademarked crystals? I wonder what their experience was when they meditated or worked with azeztulite for example, compared to when they did the same to a similarly-colored quartz. Does the azeztulite have a higher energy, stronger vibrations, did they provoke more vivid sensations and visions, were they more effective, etc. compared to a quartz that is mineralogically the same to it?