Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

autumn star

right now, my only regret is not that the Spiral Tarot is not what I thought it would be. The borders alone are definitely the ugliest of any tarot deck - what were they thinking??

I love that deck! It's one of my favorites.

At the moment I am kind of regretting getting the Gaian - I've had it for a few months but I can't really connect to it and rarely feel drawn to using it.

Bhavana

At the moment I am kind of regretting getting the Gaian - I've had it for a few months but I can't really connect to it and rarely feel drawn to using it.

I almost paid full price for the Gaian at Barnes n Noble last week....took me forever to decide not to - glad I didn't. I just knew it would be one of those decks that I wouldn't use.

Wee_Gypsy

Wizards Tarot-Kind-of....

...and its weird, it ISN'T the actual deck itself because I enjoy the art with in the deck (Wizards Tarot) as well as other decks by Corrine Kenner that are on my to get list-

Its just the book that puts those biases up for me that I know I shoulden't have....*sigh*

Does anyone know what I mean with the book (that goes with it?)
It seems like Disney movieish...or gimicy??? I don't know can find the right word?
So it IS really the book (NOT the deck...)

**Wishes Llewellyn would've offered the deck by itself, and I didn't open the book, they do this with soo many other decks too**

(I know I have to ignore it, because the deck is cool stand-alone)-

nevermind...this ones more a Llewyllen issue...nevermind

Wee_Gypsy

watercup

Sweet Twilight...impossible to read with... strange without depth.

Witch's Tarot...so 80's and the Court Cards all alike and the long skinny feet and legs on the High Priestess...I only bought it because I was going through a Fire must equal swords period so I must use those decks.

Thoth...I will keep it but it is dark and sometimes a bit too revealing...I also feel it transports me back in time to a place where monsters lurked in sewers...sad rain against leaded glass windows...but I love it and hate it all at once.

Radiant Waite....too much yucky orange!

Northern Shadows...I was grossed out by the carved stones in the Queen of Swords scalp!

Kissa

Silicon Dawn

Silicon Dawn... I was really intrigued by the concept but first decided it wasn't for me. After some time, browsing Egypt's webiste on many occasions & reading raving reviews here, I bought it but it just doesn't speak to me (at the best). I feel so old and traditional but some images just shock me, not the nudity but the latent sexuality in many cards. I was never a Thoth girl and I think last time I felt so disturbed by a deck was with Aleister's baby.

frac_ture

Sweet Twilight...impossible to read with... strange without depth.

Witch's Tarot...so 80's and the Court Cards all alike and the long skinny feet and legs on the High Priestess...I only bought it because I was going through a Fire must equal swords period so I must use those decks.

Thoth...I will keep it but it is dark and sometimes a bit too revealing...I also feel it transports me back in time to a place where monsters lurked in sewers...sad rain against leaded glass windows...but I love it and hate it all at once.

I just got Sweet Twilight a few days ago, and I love it! Just...unqualified love for it, right out of the box.

I feel kind of like you do about Thoth, though: it's really difficult for me, and challenging, and a little bit unsettling, but I do intend to stick with it.

The deck I kind of regret buying -- but one you might like, due to the "swords = fire" thing -- is the Fantastical Creatures Tarot. Part of what doesn't work for me is exactly the fact that swords are supposed to represent fire in it, and wands are air. I just can't seem to get to a place where that works for me! I try to be an open-minded person, you know, but...no, in my world, swords are air, and wands are fire, and that's how it is!! Also, I guess I'd been hoping for less fairies and less animals in fancy dress, and more straight up mythical monsters.

exxyea

Soul Lessons and Soul Purpose Oracle Cards --> I like the cards' messages, but unfortunately, they never seem to apply to me whenever I read with them.

Oracle of Visions --> I love the images by Ciro Marchetti, but I got a bad copy of the cards (which apparently I'm not the only one)... The deck looked used when I opened it, there were indents and marks on the cards, some were bent, one didn't have gilded edges... It was a disappointment, since the artwork is just beautiful... and it was $70+ in total after shipping.

blackstormhawk

The deck I kind of regret buying -- but one you might like, due to the "swords = fire" thing -- is the Fantastical Creatures Tarot. Part of what doesn't work for me is exactly the fact that swords are supposed to represent fire in it, and wands are air. I just can't seem to get to a place where that works for me! I try to be an open-minded person, you know, but...no, in my world, swords are air, and wands are fire, and that's how it is!! Also, I guess I'd been hoping for less fairies and less animals in fancy dress, and more straight up mythical monsters.

IIRC, all of Lisa Hunt's decks are "switched." I was given the Fantastical Creatures as a gift, and find it to be a very expressive, easy to read deck ... and I'm one of those swords are air people! Other than in the hands of an angel, when was the last time you burned a sword?

frac_ture

IIRC, all of Lisa Hunt's decks are "switched." I was given the Fantastical Creatures as a gift, and find it to be a very expressive, easy to read deck ... and I'm one of those swords are air people! Other than in the hands of an angel, when was the last time you burned a sword?

I feel kind of embarrassed that this is a problem for me -- this swords/wands, air/fire switch thing -- but it kind of is. I don't know for sure if it would be a total deal-breaker for me, but in this case, when combined with the shortage of out and out mythical monster images that I'd been hoping for, I can't seem to get past all of it.

And to be fair, Lisa is a very talented artist (the images from her new ghost-themed deck look pretty great). It's just that I happen to love mythical monsters (the truly monstrous types, not just regular Earth animals with wings, or centaurs, or fauns, unicorns, Pegasus, etc.), and a quick browse through a Reader's Copy at my local occult shop had me erroneously thinking that I was getting a deck full of them -- by chance, the first few cards I pulled were the ones I ended up liking the best, including the griffin, the hippocampus, the minotaur, and the amphisbaena. Now if I found a deck that had those kinds of fantastical creatures as its focus, I'd be all over it!