Early Grimaud vs. Modern

Abrac

I've been checking out this modern Marseille deck by France Cartes (Grimaud) at Roderick Somerville's playingcardsales.com. The reds in this deck look almost orange. Can anyone who might have this deck tell me if this is how they actually look? I'm assuming this version is post 1980. I couldn't get a direct link to the cards. This is a link to their Home page. It is the Ancien Tarot de Marseille, Catalog Reference-13679, French only titles:

http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards/

Compare that deck to say, this one:

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3865

-fof

Sulis

I have a newer Grimaud - I got it just last week.

I don't have an older version to compare it with but the reds look a little orangey. I think they look quite red but my husband and daughter think they are more orange.

I've attached some images.

I think your older version does have a red that looks a little darker.

Attachments

• Grimaud 10 de Coupes.jpg
    Grimaud 10 de Coupes.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Grimaud Valet d'Epees.jpg
    Grimaud Valet d'Epees.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Grimaud Reyne d'Epee.jpg
    Grimaud Reyne d'Epee.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 212

coredil

On most TDM Grimaud I have (with copyright from 1963, 1980 and 1981) the red is quite the same as on the scans Sulis has posted.

I have an older one, probably from between 1949 and 1963, with a very thick cardstock that feels like paper and not like plastic, a beige background instead of white) and a matt finish.
The colors do not glance like the newer decks.
The red seems also a little bit more orange.

You can see Scans of this deck here:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/grimaud-marseilles/
Though it is said this is a deck from 1970, I am quite sure the scans are from an older deck like mine: because of the "B.P GRIMAUD PARIS" copyright, the place of the copyright, the beige background color and the black frame which is very near to the border of the cards.

BTW these were tips for "hunters" looking for and older Grimaud TdM ;)

The red color on the pictures in Marteaus book "Le Tarot de Marseille" (1949 printing and 1977 printing) have a more "carmine red". I guess it is due to the printing on paper instead of cardstock.

Best regards

Rusty Neon

fools_fool said:

I have this French-titles deck, in the green box with English-only (U.K. market) instructions. (I'm sure there's a version with French-only instructions, as the box with LWB still has extra room in it, but such a version must be much more rare.) I really like these cards because they're made of laminated, relatively thick/stiff cardstock and are very clunky. Now clunky isn't a bad thing in this instance. It makes individual cards feel like they have "substance". Though these cards' hues differ from the 1930 deck hues, I still find that their flesh colours are more flesh and more distinguishable from the yellows, than the cards of the modern French-titles Grimaud that I bought retail in 2002. And the blues are not oversaturated like the modern Grimaud.

In addition, for its colours, I also like the out-of-print Dusserre photoreproduction of the Grimaud 1930 deck with BN (Bibliothèque Nationale) imprints on the bottom of each card. However, in some cases, the photoreproduction quality if somewhat blurry as if a bit out of focus. I like the colours of this photoreproduction even better than the green box Grimaud.

Abrac

Thanks everyone for all the great info!

Fulgour - Apprecitate the link to the images.

Sulis - The reds in the images you posted look red to me. It looks like an attractive deck. The Sommerville images don't look quite right for some reason.

coredil - Thanks for the tips. I am hunting for a Grimaud Marseille at the moment, and normally I like the older cards that have that paper feel to them, as you mentioned. I don't plan it that way, it just seems like it usually works out that way.

Rusty Neon - I borrowed the link directly from your post, I hope you didn't mind. It's a great picture. I like the colors of that deck. I'm not sure how I would like the stiff, laminated card stock, but it's hard to say unless you have actually handled it.

Thanks again...

-fof

catlin

coredil said:
You can see Scans of this deck here:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/grimaud-marseilles/
Though it is said this is a deck from 1970, I am quite sure the scans are from an older deck like mine: because of the "B.P GRIMAUD PARIS" copyright, the place of the copyright, the beige background color and the black frame which is very near to the border of the cards.

BTW these were tips for "hunters" looking for and older Grimaud TdM ;)

*ARG* I am pretty sure that my long lost TdM was an old edition of this deck (catlin runs of to kick her but some more times)

Rusty Neon

FoF ... The clunky feel to the green-box cards also comes from the relatively thick cardstock. I'm amending my earlier post accordingly.