Reyne De Baton Has Copyright On Her

Abrac

Well, the Ancien Tarot De Marseille I ordered arrived yesterday. Its copyright says "Grimaud 1980," French only titles, the box is a bluish purple.

Not only is there a copyright notice on every card, the Rene De Baton has an extra one running vertically along the left side of her chest. Anyone ever noticed this? It blends into her dress quite nicely, almost like it was done intentionally.

Not content with merely plastering copyrights all over the card margins, are manufacturers now resorting to subliminal advertising as well??????

-fof

coredil

Hello Fools-fool,

I had to smile (friendly) about your indignation :)
I am not aware of any Marteau/Grimaud TdM without copyright on the Reyne de Baton.
Some earlier copy of this deck (I guess between 1930 and 1963) have copyright on almost all major arcanes and on all court cards, the pips are without copyright.
But they are not so easy to find.

Best regards

Lillie

Fools Fool.

I know exactly what you mean.

So has mine.

1980, french titles only, blue box.

It's some kind of weird over print thing, I suppose.
Like something slipped somewhere, and she got an extra one on her dress.

I don't know what else to say, except yeah! mine too.

Rusty Neon

Yes, I can see that in my 1980, French titles only, blue box Grimaud deck. That really is clever on Grimaud's part. I guess their intent is to make it so that someone counterfeiting the deck would clip off the side copyright notices but could forget to cover up the copyright on the Reyne de Baton's person, thereby exposing themselves to a copyright infringement action. However, any culprit who is copying the deck would do better colour-wise and quality-wise to copy an earlier Grimaud version.

As well, 1980 is the 50th anniversary of the original 1930 publication date. Perhaps that's an important point in time for copyright validity in French law. That likely explains some minor line-change details, colour change details, and, perhaps even the detail like the copyright notice on the Queen of Rods.

Now, I'll never be able to look at the 1980 Grimaud Queen of Rods without seeing that darned copyright notice! :)

I wonder if U.S. Games did anything similar in the body of cards when they put on the 1971 copyright notices on the Rider-Waite deck.