The Black Light BOTA

agviz

I colored in a BOTA deck using Sharpie Neon markers and a few other ultraviolet markers. They're extremely vibrant when illuminated with black light, especially on a black tablecloth where they almost seem to be floating in space. In one sense they are quite eye-popping, but in another sense I find they have an almost hypnotic meditative effect. These went over BIG at a recent tarot party I held.

The colors aren't entirely consistent with the intended colors for the BOTA deck in part because of the color limitations of the markers. But also because I wanted to try some "stream of thought" visualization for how I felt about the meaning of each card.

I developed (somewhat) different looks for the suits - lines for wands, circles for cups, etc. Some cards came out better than others. It was certainly a learning experience. Ultimately, this is a precursor for a black light deck I'd like to do with all original artwork... if time will ever permit.

Oh, and I made a box for them too.

Attachments

• BLBOTA1.jpg
    BLBOTA1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 751
  • BLBOTA2.jpg
    BLBOTA2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 563
  • BLBOTA3.jpg
    BLBOTA3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 551
  • BLBOTA4.jpg
    BLBOTA4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 546
  • BLBOTA box.jpg
    BLBOTA box.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 538

Laura Borealis

Nice job! I love your backgrounds, and your box is superb.

reall

WoW! FANTASTIC COLORS AND BACKGROUND!^^ YOU DEFINITELY HAVE ART TALENT!^^ LOLZ

Babalon Jones

This is great! I have a soft spot for black light stuff. You did a really nice job with the colors and backgrounds too. :)

lefty

edited, but they're really nice

Alta

I love that look and you did a fabulous job choosing the colours. I am impressed!

agviz

Thanks for all the very nice comments. Glad you guys like the deck.

Lefty, I love that image. Yeah, black light is indeed a comforting throwback to the '70s for me too. That period was certainly on my mind for at least part of the time while I worked on the cards.

rwcarter

I love you agviz. That deck popped me awake faster than two cups of coffee.

Did you use any kind of sealant to keep the markers from leeching off onto the back of whatever card is next to it? I have a lot of BOTAs and while I doubt I could do any of them the justice that you did, I'd use a BOTA that looked like yours.

I'll be your new best friend forever if you make me one.... :D Or at least give me some more detail on what you did. And I am SO jealous of that box! Does "green with envy" mix well with that deck? :laugh:

tarotbear

Wow! This is just amazing! Thank you for giving us a 'reveal'.