MidCenturian Tarot, Rider-Waite abstracted modern

garmonbozia

Has anyone else seen the MidCenturian Tarot deck on indiegogo?

I really like artwork. I wanna say it reminds me of art deco style, but I don't think that quite fits.....or maybe it does.....

Can anyone with a bit of art history knowledge identify the style of the artwork, if it does fit into any particular genre? Whatever it is, I like it.

FYI, it only has two days left for its funding period.

Nemia

Here is the link.

It's not Art Deco, it's not slick enough for Art Deco IMO. It's a graphic style like some famous children book's illustrators have used in the 60s and 70s when Black Pedagogy was ousted for good. A bit like Eric Carle, a bit like the German artists Marlene Reidel and Graziela Preiser. I don't know American graphic artists and illustrators well enough but I'm sure in the 60s and 70s this was an international trend: fresh, seemingly naive, clear, colourful.

An echo from the world of "serious" art would be Matisse with his papercuts, and pop artist Peter Blake. That's only my associations, of course, I don't know where the artist studied and what she likes.

I like the deck. It reminds me a bit of the deck somebody made from torn paper - but it dares to approach the hallowed RWS with a playful distance.