Beginning the journey- a second deck

VioletMoon

Hi all! i'm pretty new to this forum but I've been thinking about this for a while and I thought it would be nice to hear/ see some thoughts by more seasoned readers and learn about your experiences.

I'm very very new to tarot- only a few months. I've loved divination and had many tarot readings in the past, but I was inspired by a recent reading to to begin learning, as a lot of the information was to "connect with myself more." I loved the deck the reader used, and bought that one. It was Siolo Thompson's Linestrider Tarot which I think was a little bit of a mistake because all of the learning/ reading I've been doing is based on the RW system (Dusty White's book among others). However, i just love the imagery and it really feels so uplifting to me.

I did just buy a second deck, the Morgan Greer. I went for this one because of how much more traditional it is in its imagery. I guess, now though, I'm struggling to connect to it and connect to the meanings because I now associate the meanings with that deck and with the less traditional images. I also don't know (as in rotely memorized) all the traditional keywords/ meanings yet either, so maybe it's too early for a second deck? Or maybe I'm just over thinking?

So I guess what I want to know is, when you were at this point in your learning and tarot journey, how was it for you to get your second deck? I feel very out of sorts and much less confident with the new deck, to the point where I'm almost put off by it. It also feels different, which is weird for me- stiffer, more waxy, which I'm not at all used to. I want to play with the cards and grow my intuition and learn, which is why I bought a second more traditional deck (I've been bitten!), but I feel weird with the Morgan Greer. Maybe I'm just not used to it? Or am I trying to run before I'm walking? Any thoughts or ideas? How was it for you when you branched out to more than one deck?

page of ghosts

I don't have the Linestrider but I have seen the images and think it's beautiful. The Morgan-Greer I do own and it's one of my favs, but I can see how it might be a little off-putting if you're used to the 1st deck. Linstrider is very soft, has a lot of "air" around the images and very subdued watercolour art. Morgan-Greer comes at you with all it's 70's vibes (the thing I love about it) with closeups and very strong bold colours. There is a difference for sure and that might be what you're reacting to. Also the cardstock for my MG is very flexible and it has a very shiny and sleek finish to it, I have the regular size edition that I got a few years back.

I struggled a bit to find "the perfect deck" to connect with before I realised that there probably isn't one, so it took some time before I settled down and started to really make an effort with the decks I had. It's something I'm still working on to be honest and I wish I had taken my time to really work with the 1st and 2nd decks I owned instead of being like "hmm this isn't the great revelation at 1st try as I had hoped, better try something different". I don't think it's necessarily too soon to get another deck if you've worked with the Linestrider for a while, I think it's very interesting to look at different decks. Especially since most of mine are close to the RWS, which I think the Linestrider is from my google skills? It's not a direct clone so not all cards are the same, but it might try to convey the same / similar idea with the artists own associtions.

I personally like to compare images in different decks and don't necessarily try to memorize keywords. I'm aware of them since I've read a lot of books but I try to think of them as vague concepts or a guide, not something set in stone. I try to look at what the people in the cards are doing and what I'm drawn to as that can give me a clue too. Books are what I enjoy too, for ideas and new insights. I think of myself as soft intermediate, as in not a total beginner but not the great expert either. I'm slowly learning to imagine stories and motives for the people I see in the cards so that's fun too.

But for the comparisons, which I think might be useful, I take a card and think of something typically associated with it. You can pick a keyword from your book if you're not familiar with the cards yet, but maybe also try without one. And then, look at the cards and think of how they are different and similar, and how the artist has tried to capture the idea of the keyword. But also is there anything you see for yourself that you think builds up under the idea a card is trying to show?

This is something I have done with cards I struggle with, but now it may come more naturally to me. Today I got the Jolanda tarot in the mail and studying the deck, which is in a lot of cards not very RWS, I got some interesting insights. Like in the Death card, a card associated with change and transitions (sometimes painful but necessary) there were some fish and I was thinking about our water-dwelling ancestors who slowly evolved into amphibiums and crawled onto land. A drastic change for sure. I don't know if the creator intended for that but that's the train of thought I ended up with!

VioletMoon

. Linstrider is very soft, has a lot of "air" around the images and very subdued watercolour art. Morgan-Greer comes at you with all it's 70's vibes (the thing I love about it) with closeups and very strong bold colours. There is a difference for sure and that might be what you're reacting to.
For sure... The Morgan Greer has a much harder feel to it visually and that waxy feel has been off putting, but interesting. I can see that this might be a good "tough love" kind of deck where the Linestrider is much kinder and softer emotionally as well as visually. But I kind of like the MG visuals, because they seem to be more in line with traditional meanings. I've never thought of the Chariot as being so bold and confident before.

. Especially since most of mine are close to the RWS, which I think the Linestrider is from my google skills? It's not a direct clone so not all cards are the same, but it might try to convey the same / similar idea with the artists own associtions.
It's definitely derivative of the RWS, and there are a lot of the same visual imagery, but it's still a drastic difference for me.

.I personally like to compare images in different decks and don't necessarily try to memorize keywords.
I don't either... I just meant that I don't have a good enough "stock" kind of knowledge to help me carry over from one to another, but I like the idea of comparing the two, which I've been doing just now, to get a feel for how they are alike and different. I never knew how different difference decks could feel! It's so new and weird and exciting. Thanks so much for your comments.

page of ghosts

For sure... The Morgan Greer has a much harder feel to it visually and that waxy feel has been off putting, but interesting. I can see that this might be a good "tough love" kind of deck where the Linestrider is much kinder and softer emotionally as well as visually. But I kind of like the MG visuals, because they seem to be more in line with traditional meanings. I've never thought of the Chariot as being so bold and confident before.

(..)

I don't either... I just meant that I don't have a good enough "stock" kind of knowledge to help me carry over from one to another, but I like the idea of comparing the two, which I've been doing just now, to get a feel for how they are alike and different. I never knew how different difference decks could feel! It's so new and weird and exciting. Thanks so much for your comments.

MG can be kind of literal to me. Not mean, more like.. doesn't wrap things up in soft blankets and speaks directly. I've heard people say they feel it's a "masculine" deck. When I did an interview spread with it the "what's your most defining characteristic" position was the emperor and I don't feel like he is the guy who is vagueing around and being mystical :D

It's good to know that you're not too wrought up in the keywords. I don't know if I read it badly or it didn't come clearly out in the original post, I just thought there is more to tarot than memorizing and I feel like some newbies can worry too much about that part. Keywords are definetely useful to have in the back of your head, I easily get confused (less now though!) so I'm glad I know of them so I can better get what I'm looking at, so if that's something you wanna work on go for it. Now I'm in general working on really looking at the images so I can understand what about it makes a card say change or upheaval, so sort of connecting deeper to the ideas of typical keywords if that makes any sense.

VioletMoon

Hah, I got the Emperor for what it will teach me! I definitely got a sense of it being a much "stronger" deck in the messages it gives. (Full spread is in your readings).

The more I use this deck, the more I'm warming up to it.

C_McQueen

I had misplaced my only deck for several months and so I bought a second deck. Connecting with it was a little weird since at the time, I didn't actually like the deck very much. Eventually I found the first deck again and began using the second deck when I felt like mixing it up. The second deck definitely gave me much more intense readings and I think that it was a good experience to have to read with it for a while because I now like that deck much more.

EmpyreanKnight

The second deck I bought was some years ago when I was still in college. It was the Original Rider Waite, and I remember that armed with only the LWB, I wasn't really able to make much headway into the cards. I was also focusing on my grades then, so most of my hobbies just fell to the wayside.

I've been seriously studying the Tarot for about a year and a half now, and the Original is one of the decks in my collection that I use the most. I have built some rapport with it, and I have to say that it reads really well. I guess if one just puts enough time, focus, and effort on learning a new system, one would eventually be able to be competent at it. I began with the Thoth before I dived into the RWS, so I know what I'm talking about.

Tobe

Despite what you may have read. Tarot Cards are really, just a tool.
Although mastering it sounds mystical (you need to build a connection...etc), it's LITERALLY the same of learning how to use a keyboard. Do you build connection with your keyboard? No! of course not, cause it's a tool. It doesn't talk or breathe! When you get a new deck and you feel as though you are not "connecting" to it, it is only because it's a new deck. NEW to your eyes and your comfort zone, you're not used to it yet. But, just take your time and you will eventually able to read backward with it.

I can say this confidently because I now own over 20 collection of tarot decks, each of them I can say that I'm able to read with no problem.

It's like using keyboards that you own, and keyboards that is provided in a public library. The buttons' locations might seem wacky at first, but it's still the same concept and same location in the end. No matter how much the art varies, each Tarot system circulate the same central idea in each card.

You can think of it as part of you, like the masters in different areas. Such as a good blacksmith will have his or her own set of tools, or a good painter will use the same brush for years... These tools are "part" of them, damaging these tools are same as damaging their fingers.

But NEVER, NEVER treat the cards as though they are a separated beings. Remember this in your heart, you own them. Not the other way around. You are the one that's reading them. Giving too much credits to the cards themselves aren't wise to do.

So don't worry, it's not the cards don't "like" you, they can't. Cause they can't think. It's just that they are new to you.

Wheel of Fantastic

I started with tarot in 2004 with the Original Rider Waite because it was what I thought of as a proper deck and easily available. Couldn't get on with the linework or the horrible (to me) colours. Next deck - Robin Wood; the smiley blonde women actually disturbed me! Next deck? Morgan Greer? Liked the colours but felt the pictures were too close up to really provide information etc, etc.

Cut to now. With hindsight - and you'll hear this a lot - what you want is a deck with artwork you really like AND follows one of the three main traditions (RWS, Thoth, Marseille) so is easy to learn with. My favourite deck for many years was the Deviant Moon (RWS based). I still use it but my other favourites include the Albano Waite and, yes, the Morgan Greer which now sings to me - bright strong colours are my thing.

Warning: along this journey I picked up many other decks - beware tarot deck buying addiction!

Barleywine

As a "child (well, young adult) of the '70s," I thought I would like the Morgan Greer better than I do. I use it, but the court card faces are just a bit too "in your face" for my liking. For strong, vibrant colors in the RWS tradition, I like the Albanao Waite (the Radiant is just a little too garish) and the Gilded Tarot, and for something more mellow, the Centennial RWS and the Robin Wood. I think, though, if I were looking for a deck with a similar feel to the MG, it would be the Connolly (despite its "kinder, gentler" non-threatening softness and it's occasional Christian allusions). These are all decks I use in my professional practice.