Why use reversals?

Josipa

I tried using reversed cards and decided against it. For me the cards have enough meaning on their own without needing to reverse them. I use my intuition in order to decide whether the card needs to be interpreted in its positive sense or as a warning. How do you see this?

VisionQuest

I do not use reversals either. Although I'm open to the possibility in the future.

.::Cerridwen::.

I'm too new to use them! I shuffle my deck so it doesn't happen...

Al Si'ra

I've tried using the reversals yet later on i found it lets say too mathematical- i mean the way you shuffle the cards decide how many reversals you will get etc..the thought of this annoyed me a bit..and i also actually have hard time relating to the readings in which there are reversals..
The message will somehow reach me whether thare are reversals or not..BUT i respect other ways as well; but i just can't work with them..
But i see the point; i mean the reversals give a much more clear message than the upright ones..But i leave that to my intuition :)

Citrin

"Officially" I do not use reversals, mostly because it feels forced. If I wanted to use them I would have to turn cards around, and that is too mechanical. So the way I shuffle I don't get any, but if one card would come out reversed I would think it over and ponder about what it would mean. But I've never felt like I needed to add reversals to my readings.

MercyMe

I tend not to use reversals, but some decks seem to lend themselves to using them while other decks don't...at least for me. So I will use them sometimes. I think tarot has enough wealth of differing cards and meanings in each card that reversals aren't necessary, but when using reversals an added nuance can be added to the reading. I am still new to reversals, but I would like to become competent with them. I may still prefer to read most spreads upright, but I'd like to know I can read reversed cards when I feel led to.

~Mercy

Free Flight

I am big in the Pro - Reversal camp. There have been many many threads on this subject, if you do a search on reversals you will find some interesting links.

To reverse or not to reverse is a very personal issue. Some people wouldnt read without reversals and some people would never read with reversals.

Each side has its own merits and as each reading style is unique so is the decision to reverse.

Moonchild1721

I also choose not to use reversals, but I do keep in mind both the regular and reversed interpretations when I do a reading. I'm not against reversals, I just don't feel comfortable with them yet.
Samantha

PlatinumDove

I don't necessarily use reversals all the time, if it comes up, then it comes up, and no biggy. A card, any card, can be read both positively and negatively, it just depends on how your inner voice speaks to you for that particular reading.

Milamber

I did a reading (a CC to be exact) back when I started learning the tarot, which I had nearly completely understood, except for one card -- the Ace of Swords. I believe it was in the 8th position, which in the variant of the CC I use, represented others' view of the situation at hand. I can't remember exactly what the question was, or any of the other cards, but I do remember that much.

The Ace made no sense to me until a thought occurred to me, and I manually turned it around, so that it was reversed. One blink, and everything fit together. I've used reversals ever since.

For me, reversed cards can have entirely different meanings (especially when some cards look very different reversed than upright), or simply help to indicate their position or purpose within a spread. I don't have any particular way of reading them, but they do seem to serve a purpose every time I see one. For me, it would be much harder to read without them than with -- but I always have been a tad different. :p