Book of Law Study Group 1.25

Aeon418

Use gematria, and Understand. That's Binah, the sephira to which the Neschamah (spiritual intuition) is normally attributed.

So it's not gematria as a pure intellectual exercise. But one backed up by spiritual insight.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
ON is an important word within the initiatory structure of the solar/phallic OTO. And it's value, 120, was important within the Golden Dawn 5=6 Tiphareth/Adeptus Minor ceremony because of it's link back to the mythical Christian Rosenkreutz of the Fama & Confesio Fraternitatis, and the inscription on his tomb. Post CXX Annos Patebo. After 120 years I will open.*
*(If I have time later I will post a quote from P.F.Case's, True and Invisible Rosicrucian Order.)

I found a PDF version. http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/UserFiles/en/file/pdf/The_True_And_Invisible_Rosicrucian_Order.pdf

Familiar story, interesting. I read it out of context though. Will try to read it today.

Aeon418 said:
Therion. Babalon.

Wow. ON is everywhere.

similia said:
A loose tangent, but I also read this line as generally expressing the importance of using gematria to understand the BoL.

Okay. Okay. I will order a darn book.

:laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I found a PDF version.
Good lord! Everything seems to be on a free pdf these days.

I remember the old days when you had to hunt books down Indiana Jones style. :laugh:

Always Wondering

Well this one's a keeper and definitely worth a hard copy.

My list is growing again. :bugeyed: I wish I lived near a decent library.

AW

cardlady22

initial letters

Dalet- empty (wo)man at the door [4]

Alef- master reveals Himself; which reveals the true state of our own self [1]

Mem- stream/wells of wisdom; 13 flows (makes me think of the 13 cards per suit!) [40]
*40 is the value of the Ace of Spades*

Yygdrasilian

"No, really, they're just shadows..."

Aeon418 said:
Use gematria, and Understand. That's Binah, the sephira to which the Neschamah (spiritual intuition) is normally attributed.

So it's not gematria as a pure intellectual exercise. But one backed up by spiritual insight.

Aiwass/Crowley may not exactly be referring to Gematria in 1.25 as 2+5 =7 and the 7 Planets of the Hexahedron/METATRON also fit into 1.7 as a STAR (albeit a six-pointed One, but it would fit nicely in 1 1 as a key that includes six).

Gematria may provide some good anecdotes from time to time, but the barrage of ‘insights’ is enough to render them all meaningless....or worse. On the face of it, the idea of a quantifiable rationale organizing our words into divine formulas sounds appealing; and, I’ll admit, there do appear to be magical formulas encoded by a few key Hebrew words; but looking for the great chain being with a calculator and dictionary is surely a roadmap to the booby hatch - especially if One is invoking ‘the spirits’. It smacks of the sort of schizoid ‘logic’ that might impel a person into writing an over-arching theory of all & everything on their own walls....in poop.

I’m not trying to disparage your contributions to the field as I have gained some useful insights from this brand of ‘metaphysical mathematics’.
I just have to wonder, ultimately, if it’s somehow missing the point.

Of course, one could make the same case for my own cartomaniacal ‘strings of dashes, numbers, cards, etc.’; but at least I offer a view to these systems that correlates to observable phenomena. In fact, I find it odd that, being an etymologically inclined polymath, you seem to prefer scoffing at the implications of my findings rather than test the Tarot-as-calendar model itself to see if it actually works.

Or maybe Crowley intended us to compile a list of every word that equals 56, or some derivation thereof, map out their connections to one another, and form a religion around it. Call it, maybe, Elevengalical Qabalianity. ;) ...but I doubt it.

Aeon418

Yygdrasilian said:
Aiwass/Crowley may not exactly be referring to Gematria in 1.25
Maybe, maybe not. If you think it means something else, fine. I don't have to agree with you, nor you with me. If you think Liber AL is a continuation of the mayan calendar, good luck to you. Success is your proof, or lack of it.

<text removed by moderator>

ravenest

Yygdrasilian said:
Gematria may provide some good anecdotes from time to time, but the barrage of ‘insights’ is enough to render them all meaningless....or worse. On the face of it, the idea of a quantifiable rationale organizing our words into divine formulas sounds appealing; and, I’ll admit, there do appear to be magical formulas encoded by a few key Hebrew words; but looking for the great chain being with a calculator and dictionary is surely a roadmap to the booby hatch - especially if One is invoking ‘the spirits’. It smacks of the sort of schizoid ‘logic’ that might impel a person into writing an over-arching theory of all & everything on their own walls....in poop.

Good LORD! I nearly agree with you! Why? cause I seen it!!! (not the poop :laugh: )

BUT lets not forget the last part of the line ... : AND UNDERSTAND.

The above resultant gematric psychosis does not end in Understanding ... from an objective point of view ... but maybe from a subjective one ;)

Yygdrasilian

...and Understand

Aeon418 said:
Maybe, maybe not. If you think it means something else, fine. I don't have to agree with you, nor you with me. If you think Liber AL is a continuation of the mayan calendar, good luck to you. Success is your proof, or lack of it.

<text removed by moderator>
I don't actually think Liber AL is a continuation of the Mayan calendar.
But The Book of Thoth would appear to be a device for calculating synodic cycles and orbital periods for the 7 'Planets' known to the ancient world. It's possible connection to ancient civilizations or the origins of Christianity doesn't seem to be much of a topic for conversation however...

Aeon418

Yygdrasilian said:
But The Book of Thoth would appear to be a device for calculating synodic cycles and orbital periods....
And..... what exactly does any of that have to do with the Thoth Tarot deck? I'm not talking about "The Book of Thoth" as tarot in general, but the Crowley/Harris Thoth deck.

Edit: No childish ASCII art answers please.