Can Anyone Help Me Identify These Tumbled Rocks?

gregory

Sister is back:

[FONT=&quot]judging a stone just by its colour can be very deceptive. I stand by my previous comments, and attach pix in support of this. The mystery stone is partially transparent according to the owner, which supports its being a heavily included quartz. I have never seen transparent Seraphinite or serpentine other than Bowenite (which it certainly isn’t!), but I guess they too could be included in quartz. Quartz will grow around just about anything. [/FONT]

And see the attached she sent. I think she's got it, honestly :) But feel free to differ.

Oh - and she just won this year's lapidary trophy again ! She IS good !

Attachments

• The tumbled stones.pdf
    363 KB · Views: 260

Marie-Bernard

And she says (she did some before from here once... and the photography thing is huge for her !):

Any help ?

Thank your sister times a million from me, gregory. Also give her my apologies for the poor picture quality. She was a huge help. I'd be lost without her, geologically speaking. ;)

gregory

Any time :) Just ask.

singerofpeace

I would bet money on the upper left being "smoky" Quartz (Quartz with inclusions sounds apt)- but definitely not seraphinite. The purple one looks dyed to me, honestly- it could be rhodonite or sugilite, I guess, but dyed stones (probably some type of jasper) are so much more prevalent, and could easily look just like that. Speaking of jasper, that's my guess for the reddish one too- but the bottom left I would need to see how it felt and if any colors moved in the light to have any useful input. :)

Stones are so fun!!

Pam O

I would bet money on the upper left being "smoky" Quartz (Quartz with inclusions sounds apt)- but definitely not seraphinite. The purple one looks dyed to me, honestly- it could be rhodonite or sugilite, I guess, but dyed stones (probably some type of jasper) are so much more prevalent, and could easily look just like that. Speaking of jasper, that's my guess for the reddish one too- but the bottom left I would need to see how it felt and if any colors moved in the light to have any useful input. :)

Stones are so fun!!

I agree with this too, from my perspective with the pictures, in my little stone obsessed world.... And they are only pictures, so we can't get our hands on them, or a jeweler's loop, etc... I have thought that was tumbled lower grade smokey quartz from the first time I saw it.... Who knows? Are there any cool rock shops in your town to get ideas from someone who can see and feel your rocks in person?

linnie

Hello... pics of stones can be so tricky... because you mentioned the transparency of the top left stone, I'm going to call it either lodalite or smokey quartz with fractures which create the striations of different colours, but I'm feeling like lodolte with chlorite, magnesite and tourmaline inclusions. Top right feels like charoite or even a pinkish sugilite. I thought it may be rhodonite, but I've never seen rhodonite looking so purple, as it tends towards pink-orange. Bottom right feels very much like a jasper, maybe a Fancy jasper of mookaite, or just something like brecciated jasper. The colourways and patternings of jasper cross into one another easily because they come in endless possibilities :)

I know you called the lower left stone opaque... if it is, then it could be blue tiger eye if it has the chatoyant sheen associated with that stone... if not, it could be a blue-black onyx, as sometimes if there is some white matrix rock included in the specimen, the black can look bluish... but, and I'm leaning towards this, if it is even a little bit transparent, which it looks when you examine the very edges of it, then it looks like a very deep blue-green apatite, which is so dense that it looks almost black, which most people will discredit, but I've seen one not unlike this one... :) Lovely stones, either way!! :Oops... just noticed all these other posts...