Crystals & Goddesses

Hemera

I´m always interested in learning which Crystals are liked to Goddesses. Some connections seem very arbitrary and sort of fabricated. Or maybe I should rather say personal. (-Maybe the person has meditated on it and asked the crystal and found the connection?)
Anyway, some connections seem to come from colors, like Aphrodite-Love-Pink-Rose Quartz and it´s okay. But it would be nice to hear if anyone knows about any connections or traditions that go a bit deeper than just color?

I read (in Hekate Soteira by Sarah Iles Johnston) that there is a connection between Hekate and Sapphire that´s not just made with the dark blue color of the night in mind. Apparently Hekate´s wheel was used as a tool for magic (for invoking her) and the instructions for making such a wheel stated that the center stone should be a sapphire. To complicate matters, it seems that also Lapis Lazuli was called Sapphire back in 300 BCE.

Another such connection I bumped into just last week was Goddess Pele and Peridot. I had automatically assumed that Pele as a Goddes of volcanoes would be connected with red or orange crystals and have some of them as her attribute. But it seems that the olive green Peridot is her stone because it is the one stone (in addition to the diamond) that is born deep in volcanoes. Apparently there is a lot of Peridot in Hawaii, a lot of it ground into dark sand during the centuries and millennia. I think it is fascinating.
Wikipedia said:
Olivine, of which peridot is a type, is a common mineral in mafic and ultramafic rocks, and it is often found in lavas and in peridotite xenoliths of the mantle, which lavas carry to the surface; but gem quality peridot only occurs in a fraction of these settings

Falcor

Rutilated Quartz

Rutilated Quartz is related to Venus.

There is a beautiful myth about her bathing at Earth's waters and some hair fell down into the water. By the time she has discovered the loss and came back to retrieve it, the water turned to ice. Charmed by the beauty of her hair in the transparent ice the goddess turned it into an unusual stone and left it on Earth.

volosatik_2.jpg

Tanga

I´m always interested in learning which Crystals are liked to Goddesses...

Yes, interesting...

I would never think of Sapphire as reflecting the dark of the night... and I might think of Lapis Lazuli as Nuit...(The Egyptian night sky that holds Chaos back from the world).
Lapis Lazuli was a stone of the Gods in Egypt - so I think it could be linked to all of them there.

Pele and Peridot? Hmmm - I should wear it more often in her name/character :joke:
(perhaps I'm already too cheeky).

Rutilated Quartz is related to Venus.
There is a beautiful myth about her bathing at Earth's waters and some hair fell down into the water...
volosatik_2.jpg

Hmm - so I have Venus strewn all over my therapy room! Not sure about that... :)

I know Venus' nail clipping are Onyx,
Amethyst is the product of Dionysus's tears,
Labradorite are the fallen northern lights,
and the story of Apache's tear...:
http://crystal-cure.com/article-myths.html

JadePixie

Freyja's tears were Amber from what I've read, Amber and Gold are sacred to her.

Tanga

Freyja's tears were Amber from what I've read, Amber and Gold are sacred to her.

Freyja wore/wears a magickal necklace of amber (and jet I think) - called Brisingamen.
http://www.nastrond.net/freyasnecklace.html
And her tears turn to Amber when they fall in the sea, and to gold when they fall on land...

And - that's one reason why some pagans may have a ceremonial necklace of Amber - as a nod to her, particularly if they work with that Pantheon (Asatru) - and a representation of the Earth/Mother Goddess generally, and of the stars.
"I am the beauty of the green earth... and the white moon amoungst the stars... from me all things proceed, and to me all things must return...behold! I am the mother of all living... and I am that which is attained at the end of desire"
- The Charge of the Goddess

(Pardon me - had to add this quote for the dramatic effect :joke:).

JadePixie

Thanks for the info Tanga, I've been working a bit with Frigg/Freyja lately and am enjoying researching her mythology :)