21 cards:for beginners:easiest way to learn: simple

All Is One

Which Way Is Left?

I do know a lot of left handed guitar players. Considering the challenge of picking it up strung for a rightie, that's impressive.

My sister was a leftie all through school, and the desks, the notebooks, everything is for righties.

All spreads that go linearly I lay out from left to right, but had never thought about it. The idea of going right to left seems like time travel. I thought about it and tried to imagine doing it and it seems like you are undoing rather than doing.

Must be because we read left to right, or maybe there is a natural order to this.

I've always been fairly dyslexic on left and right. I don't understand it, and it's embarrassing to tell people. My dad only got me this far by holding out both hands index and thumb in the "gun" shape in front of you and picking the one that makes an "L" so you get the picture of my left/right dyslexia.

I know a left turn is the difficult one in the car.

This is no joking matter. I have to think about which way is left and right for awhile before I get it. People have laughed quite a bit at me in the past.

I'm going to try the variation mentioned.....3 rows of 9 cards. Because 3, 6 and 9 are my favorite numbers. And because 27 adds up to nine. Perfect all around.

Docc Rudolph

Nearby cards and comic strips

While doing this kind of layout, I've noticed that cards directly above or below, or both, may have a significant relationship to each other. So, for example, a card in the "past" row may relate directly to the card at the same position in the "present" row... while the card at that position in the "future" row may indicate potentials on that particular subject.

Not always, but often enough to pay attention to.

Mum says this is the "easiest way to learn" reading with Tarot. Maybe so...

I grew up reading a lot of comic books. The first time I dared to read the cards for someone I didn't already know, I layed the cards out in a row, looked at them, and realized that they looked a bit like a comic strip. Then I looked at the pictures and asked myself, what story is this telling me about this stranger sitting in front of me? Then I told the Querent that story, using him as the main character in this Tarot comic strip.

It worked very well, and the man told me it was accurate and helpful for him... which helped strengthen my fragile confidence at that time. So this three row layout can be seen as an expansion of that... It's not the only way to see or use it, just one I've found useful from time to time.

By the way, the deck I was using that time was the Rider Waite, which some people think looks a bit like a comic book anyway... so that may have made it even easier.

Blessed be...

Lokismile

The left hand, and many associations, is also viewed as true potential and unapologetic individuality; the measure and mixture of our inner self that assists us in "crossing the abyss" of whatever you want to insert here: conformity, limited thought and depth, the hand (way of life) you "should" use, etc.
The resulting landing is your expressive, vibrant true self, beyond simple actualization.
Hope to make it someday he he.

I actually, honestly cannot recall which I draw with at the moment. When cards are fanned (a rarity for me), I've out of comfort to my natural usage I think I always pull with the right. But when cutting a deck intuitively in one hand and placing the "top" card, I hold with the right and draw place with the left.
A matter of comfort and consistency probably works for most people, but If I were new I'd start with the left.

entropy

All Is One said:
I know a left turn is the difficult one in the car.

I have trouble with right and left too... In college, I kept track of my left by oncoming traffic either walking or driving. Then I went to Scotland and lived there for six months and I've not been "right" since. :) My wedding ring used to help, but now that I don't wear it anymore, I get a lot of screaming "your other left!"

All Is One

entropy said:
I have trouble with right and left too... In college, I kept track of my left by oncoming traffic either walking or driving. Then I went to Scotland and lived there for six months and I've not been "right" since. :) My wedding ring used to help, but now that I don't wear it anymore, I get a lot of screaming "your other left!"

It's good to know that I'm not alone. I think people getting so annoyed when I struggle with it is odd. I'm directionally challenged. :)

Seafra

Interesting stuff. I naturally do a horizontal line left to right and assumed it was connected to past to future and matching the way we read words.

I have a left/right prob too. Bracelets on left wrist with none on right is my cheat sheet.

All Is One

Seafra said:
Interesting stuff. I naturally do a horizontal line left to right and assumed it was connected to past to future and matching the way we read words.

I have a left/right prob too. Bracelets on left wrist with none on right is my cheat sheet.

Bracelets! Brilliant.

The 21 or the 27 card spread really does work. It's great. I learned to look at which way the people face in this spread. Since I just went back (again and again) to the Thoth, I'm going to do one of these tonight.

Prendergast

When I first learned the cards I was shown a seven card spread, left to right.
past, present, future, your control, fate card, obstacle, final solution.
I found it very easy to do.
In fact it is my most used spread for general stuff.
I devised a similar one to the 21 card spread but with only six cards per row.
Not used it in a while though.

re the left/right hand thing. I had to learn to write left handed when at school with a broken right arm. No skiving then.