Picky Faeries

lark

Last summer I made over 200 tarot bags to sell at craft shows. I decided to put all 66 of my decks in my bags too. You have not suffered untill you have sat on the floor surrounded by 200+ tarot bags and your Faerie Oracle deck. Picky , picky, picky. They finally chose a purple bag with silver stars and peacock colored irridecent beads. So far they've been happy.

Ruby Red Slippers

And just how did they choose? Love to hear more of this story!!!

RRS

Astraea

They really are picky! I found mine all sorts of nice boxes and bags, but they weren't having any of them. Eventually I spotted a tin box with flowers painted on top at a gift/antique shop, and there was no mistaking that this was where they wanted to live -- the idea was impressed upon me with great certainty. Do tell us more about how your fairies chose their bag.

lark

How faeries chose there bags

Well purple with silver stars is not what I would have picked out for them. I was leaning more towards a lovely brown, orange, and red floral with little berries on it and a monarch butterfly applique in the corner.
But they would have none of it.
They yelled NAAAAAAA
And made that noise with their tongues-- you know the one where alot of spit flys out of your mouth---
How about yellow giraffes? NO! ( I broke a coffee cup.)
How about pink and blue with poodles? NO! (the vacum cleaner bag broke.)
How about little ponies? NO! (strange water puddle on the kitchen floor.)
How about black cats and blue moons, doesn't that sound nice? NO! (no hot water for my shower.)
Bluebirds, roses, butterflies, a happy sun?
NO NO NO NO !!!!!
It started to rain when the sun was still out.
Ladybugs invaded the house.
My husband said " No thanks honey I'm a little tired.)???!!!
I got a wart.
OK OK
How about purple with silver stars and a cute little sparkley fairy girl in the corner?
All was quiet. Success at last.
I gave the lovely brown floral to the Fairy Ring.
But that's another story.

Astraea

What an entertaining description! And just the sort of thing that I have come to expect of the Faeries. They hardly ever seem to agree with our choices of homes for them, and there are no two ways about it! Their purple bag with silver stars sounds absolutely lovely.

TCarbonell

homes

i just got my deck about 3 days ago and i love love love it! and as i read the threads about the perfect home for the oracle, and read how picky the faeries are, i was kinda anxious to see what home mine would pick. well, i can tell you this much, i didn't expect to be 'nudged' or 'compelled' the way i am right now. so far, i've kept them in teh box, and this morning when i put the deck back in the box after having pulled a daily card, i sensed as though the deck was gonna fly out of my hands! it did NOT want to go in the box! it's the funniest thing. i guess it's time to go shopping. ;-)

lark

finding faerie homes is a delicate bussiness

Hi TCarbonell, Congrats on your new deck. And welcome to the world of faeries. Let us know what they pick.
Maybe you could even do a little spread with your cards and see if they give you any suggestions. Then post it here.

All of us fearie people will be waiting to hear with our pointy little ears. And our antenna waving.

Octopus

Oh yes, it is more than right *lol* to say that faeries keep changing their mind often!
My deck first said that it didn't care for box, bag or stone case. I haven't made a bag for the oracle yet as I am learning to... knit. A while ago they asked for a knitted green bag with ornament (I wonder how I'm going to do this?). Sometime ago I had to take them on a trip with me, so they agreed to live in a simple white bag for a while. Now they stated that a simple white bag is not enough for... ME. (Huh??) Yes, they told me so. (I still can't believe they did!) *lol* I bet it was the Master Maker's idea since he had helped me on designing a leather bag for my Tarot deck.

Alta

My Faeries share a wooden box with two dragon flies carved on it. They share it with Shining Tribe. hum. Not exactly likely box-mates, now I come to think of it. It is just that I wanted them both available, and they live right where I can get them. Neither deck has complained. I am a bit late to this thread but it is making me wonder if I did the right thing.

Logiatrix

It's never too late, Marion!

It took some time, but my Faeries finally settled on their home.
I initially gave them a pretty black velvet zippered bag with embroidery in nicely coordinated earth-tones. They didn't like it.
Then I tried a green silk zippered bag with rainbow-colored spirals. Still, no go.
Next, I tried a dark brown velvet drawstring bag with a pictograph styled embossed design. Again, it didn't work for the Faeries.
Finally, I just wrapped them in a denim bandana, until the right pouch came along; I was suspecting I would have to resort to purchasing a whole new bag and cloth ensemble for my picky Faeries, when funds allowed it.
Well, no purchase necessary!
I found a favorite bag of mine that has served me in different capacities over the years. The denim is very faded after many washings, but this only makes the bag look nicely aged. The seams and zipper remain very sturdy and ready to take on the Faeries.
I put the Faeries in the bag, thinking it would be temporary, but they settled right in, and have decided that this is their permanent home ("The Lady of the Harvest" was their spokes-faery regarding this decision).
I have no idea why THIS bag.
It's used and old. It's already been a cosmetic bag, a pencil case, a portable stereo holder, a tote for medications, and protection for a pocket-sized Bible. When I found it in the closet, it was holding a hand-held game. Perhaps it's all those stories that draw the Faeries to it?
So, my Faeries are casual and laid-back, preferring denim to velvet or silk. Who knew?
Actually, that makes sense...
:)
EDITED to add: I have a few nice bags available for anyone interested...see descriptions above! :D