The fool on the top

mario

I have to say that I' m not an expert of Qabalha. The little that I know is because I' ve read something about Qabalha, reading about tarots.

However I find my own way to connect Major Arcana with sephirots.

Kether = The fool

I put only this card in this sephirot, because Kether means not distinction of the opposite and the fool seems really connected to Kether for a lot of reasons ( expecially Kether is called also the non- existence because it's a form of existence different from wich we know).

Then I put the other major arcana in the other sephirot tidely. So I have:

Chomka = The Magician, The Wheel of Fortune

Binah = The High Priestess, The Force

Chesed = The Emperess, The Hanged Man

Geburah = The Emperor, The Death

Tiphareth = The Pope, The Temperance

Netzach = The Lovers, The Devil

Hod = The Chariot, The Tower

Yesod = The Justice, The Stars

Malkuth = The Heremit, The Moon

Last three cards I connect with the Tree's ways. The Sun with the right way ( Love), The Judgement with the middle way ( Spiritual Love - I know the correct world in Italian, but i ' m not able to translate it in english), The World with the left way
( Strenghtness).

I' ve made this only because to put the cards tidely in the sephirots seemed to me the more logic and more easy thing to do. On the other side the connections between the different cards in this way make a lot more sense to me. When I read Holmes ' thread about numerology I' ve seen that in this way the position of the cards in the sephirots respects also the rules of the numbers. Before I didn' t realize that , for example, the Chariot is 7 and the Tower 16 = 1 + 6 is also 7.

I think that many of you are more in about Qabalha than me, so i' d like to know if there is some major reason because I should not use this outline. If I' m in error it's better I leave suddenly the wrong way.

Please help me !

I' m also interested in knowing, more simply, if someone connect The Fool's card with Kether.
Mario

Laurel

Direct connection between the Tree of Life glyph and tarot began with Eliphas Levi and probably his contemporaries (Papus et all) in the beginning of the modern occult revival. Typically, the 22 Major Arcana are associated with the 22 paths between the 10 Sephiroth. The non-court suit cards (1-10) are associated with the ten sephiroth within the four worlds or letters of the Tetragrammaton. All of this fits together ever so "neatly" so to speak.

However, just because its neat, doesn't mean its 'true'. To quote a modern occultist, "The Map Is Not The Territory". In other words, the Tree of Life is a model of the macrocosm and microcosm. Its not the macrocosm and the microcosm. The application of any system of correspondences between the diagram and any occult symbol set, such as tarot cards is an exercise in metaphor and any number of combinations can become meaningful. There is ultimately no 'right' or 'wrong' simply "traditional" and "personal" insight.

~LAS

mario

Thank you.

So I can use it?

jmd

The Golden Dawn and its derivatives certainly connect the Major Arcana with inter-connecting 'paths'. The major tradition on the continent of Europe, however, connects the first ten Major Arcana (ie, the Magician to the Wheel) with, in the order of emanation, the Sefirot.

In that version, then, the Magician is placed in Keter.

The Kabalah and Tarot, of course, are somewhat independent, and numerous discoveries may be made from various considerations. Those of the GD & co. yield some, other considerations others.

I personally, as you do, also place the Fool within Keter, and place the other cards in a way which differs to yours, for I use the cards in the ascent of the Tree. I realise I have listed this in other places, and will thus just be a repeat for those who have read it... but here it is anyhow - again please note that the order of ascent is not the exact reverse order to that of emanation:
  • Malkut - I & XI
  • Yesod - II & XII
  • Nezah - III & XIII
  • Hod - IIII & XIIII
  • Tifaret - V & XV
  • Hesed - VI & XVI
  • Geburah - VII & XVII
  • Da'at - X & XX
  • Binah - VIII & XVIII
  • Hockmah - VIIII & XVIIII
  • Keter - Fool & XXI
Your suggestions, Mario, are certainly worth further investigations, so thank you :)

Richard1

Another Possibility...

I'm fairly new to associating majors with sephiroth (rather than as just the paths), but here's the system I like, theoretically at least:
0 goes above Kether, in the Ain Soph, and XXI represents the whole system. And it goes much like the others listed above:
Kether - I & XX
Chockmah - II & XIX
Binah - III & XVIII
Chesed - IV & XVII (hence, perhaps, Crowley's switching of the attributions here)
Gevurah - V & XVI
Tiphereth - VI & XV (hence, perhaps the association between these two in the RWS)
Netzach - VII & XIV
Hod - VIII & XIII
Yesod - IX & XII
Malkuth - X & XI
There are some problems with it (notably the Priestess in Chockmah), but overall it seems to make sense to me.