Could Dixit (and similar) be used for Tarot?

mrpants

I don't see why you couldn't use the Dixit deck in the manner of Tarot or Oracle. There's plenty to interpret. Tarot readings come together as stories, or narratives, in much the same way that Dixit is played. But because the Dixit deck is structured differently than Tarot, you of course are going to get very different results.

Padma

Dixit cards are awesome for intuitive reading :)

Check this reading exchange link at AT using the cards: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=203967 It may help you form and idea about using them for readings.

ETA - I would only use them as an oracle, imo...

nisaba

I don't see why you couldn't use the Dixit deck in the manner of Tarot or Oracle. There's plenty to interpret. Tarot readings come together as stories, or narratives, in much the same way that Dixit is played. But because the Dixit deck is structured differently than Tarot, you of course are going to get very different results.

I often thought I'd like to have a Magic the Gathering set to use as an oracle, too - some of the cards are very evocative.

Etene

I often thought I'd like to have a Magic the Gathering set to use as an oracle, too - some of the cards are very evocative.
I used M:tG cards with reasonably appropriate art/names to make my own tarot deck, to test my interest before buying. Now, it's my EDC because it's smaller than tarot standard and I've written keywords and meanings all over the rules texts so there is no need for a LWB. (I did not write on any of my Wheel of Fortunes. Winds of Change makes a little more sense, anyway.)

But now that you mention it, I wonder what kind of oracle deck could be made with them. I have plenty of old commons to experiment with. If only I find the time to dig through them all...

Duriel

Actually, another interesting game (would work best with only tarot readers playing) would be to play dixit with a tarot deck!
Would definitely spur interesting discussions on different ways of looking at tarot!

mrpants

Duriel, this exercise would be extremely fun and hilarious with the Holy Light Tarot!

Sheherazahde

I Love Dixit Cards

I have all 8 decks and I use them for divination.
I use the Celtic Cross spread and intuitively divine the meanings.
I've had some surprises. There was one card that I could not imagine what it would mean in a reading, but when it came up the meaning was obvious from the context. It kept showing up in different readings with the same meaning.

I would love to discuss the different decks and the specific cards and their meanings in readings.

The latest deck is beautiful, mythic and folkloric.
The Libellud site offers pdf sheets showing the cards of each deck in the "downloads" section for the decks.
http://en.libellud.com/games/dixit-7-revelations

Also I like the idea of using a tarot deck to play the Dixit game. especially with a diverse group that doesn't agree on the meanings of the Tarot cards. LOL

Alta

Hi all, I move this thread to the Oracle section, because even though apparently it can be used like tarot, it really is an Oracle. Alta