Decks or divination compatible with Alan Watts' ideas?

euripides

I suspect Watts wouldn't have approved of divination, actually. He's so much about being in the 'here and now' ... but then, I think the right deck can kind of help you to break out of some rigid thinking and connect.

I've just started listening to some of his lectures... I'm thinking the I Ching would fit with his discussion of Eastern philosophy in some regards.

He's so interesting to listen to; he seems to have a uniquely rich perspective, having been an Episcopal priest and later studying Zen. I've read that he was thought to have misunderstood some key concepts; but should he be an expert in zazen and does it matter? I don't think so. His broader understanding is of value.

These days we tend to look with suspicion at some of these older writers as colonizers appropriating other traditions, but while this may be the case, I think that being an outsider allows a different perspective - it might not be as 'authentic' as those who belong culturally to that tradition, and I think it's very important to not lay claim to other people's traditions, but we can still learn a great deal from them.

So... that's a bit of a tangent, anyway. Maybe I should look at Osho Zen tarot.

CharlotteK

Alan Watts was my route into Zen which I practiced with some intensity for 10 years. I still sit zazen, but have over time become interested in more diverse spiritual ideas, which doesn't actually sit all that well with practicing Zen. Personally speaking, I think it's a path you really need to commit to practicing exclusively. Which I don't anymore. I may do again in future but I'm not done with Tarot yet :) Divination is discouraged not because it is wrong or bad but for the reasons you identify - dwelling on the past or future takes us away from the only thing that matters in Zen - this present moment and our spontaneous, unconditioned being in it. That said, I have done a form of 'just sitting' with Tarot where I have sat with cards in front of me that I've loosely focused on and let whatever will, spontaneously arise from looking at them, which I've noted and then let go. More abstract art decks or nature decks are good for this. The other senses come into play and I've noticed that sounds and physical sensations get incorporated into the overall response to the cards. But I don't do this very often. In most cases I'd rather either just read the cards, or just sit. I've never used the I-ching. But I do have a couple of Zen friends that play with it from time to time.

euripides

Alan Watts was my route into Zen which I practiced with some intensity for 10 years. I still sit zazen, but have over time become interested in more diverse spiritual ideas, which doesn't actually sit all that well with practicing Zen. Personally speaking, I think it's a path you really need to commit to practicing exclusively.

Interesting observation. I think that's true of many paths; Joseph Campbell talks about really entering into the life, the story. And perhaps it's a problem with our contemporary western approach to such things that we want to read about them, have them interpreted for us, without really investing in them. We 'know about' without 'knowing.

BodhiSeed

I just bought this set of Spiritual Quote Cards:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/466775953/40-spiritual-buddha-tarot-cards-with?ref=shop_home_feat_1
The quotes are from a variety of sources, mostly Buddhist and Taoism. I plan on replacing any I don't resonate with. :D

I created a set of lojong cards (Buddhist mind training) several years ago. You can see the cards and the meanings by following the link in this thread:
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=226955

The I Ching might be a good fit too. :)