Holistic Tarot by Bennebel Wen

The Happy Squirrel

There is a book club discussing this book, but I can't find any post commenting or reviewing it. I have seen some reviews on YouTube and I know at least one member here likes this book (yoohoo Nemia). That was how I came across this book in fact, while we we discussing another book in this sub.

I have only 2 'how to' books for tarot (RWS) so far. Only one of them is worth the money I feel. Card by card meanings can be found online for free, and discussions on meanings of cards from decks I will never ever use is just pointless for me. If not for the fact that it is an e-book I would have given it away. But I haven't bought any other 'how to' books to fill the sparsity of my 'how to' section, because I somehow feel that none of them is what I need. (You don't really need a lot of them anyway and. it has been suggested that all you really need is one or two of them).

And then I saw this book, and its thorough review by Christina Gaudet and Divinationery.

From the quick glimpses of its pages, I felt as if this is finally the one kind of book that I have been looking for, but haven't been able to find so far.

A copy is on its way to me.

But I would love to know what everyone who have read it think of it so far?

Would you agree that if there is only one book such as this (reference/how to/ guide), this would be the best one for now?

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks Lee! I think this sounds like the book for me! Let's hope I am right! I have been searching for a beginner's book for a year now and haven't been comfortable with what's out there. So I ended up with one historical book after another. Which is awesome! Anyway best go to bed. It is close to 1.30 am and I didn't even notice since that thread you directed me to is so riveting! :p

The Happy Squirrel

PS: Lee I have put Paul Quinn's Tarot for Life on my list for future purchase :)

Lyn B

My two favorite books, as well.

Tarot for Life and Holistic Tarot are, without a doubt, the best books I've read on the subject. They both resonate with my POV almost completely. I don t even bother with the gazillion other tarot books I've read anymore. I also enjoy James Ricklef's books but they're, comparatively, almost a "guilty" pleasure.

I'm so happy to hear there are others who don't fall into the airy fairy mindset. I have no problem with opposing viewpoints, but most of them just don't fit in with the way I view Tarot...and the universe, for that matter. I'm an intellectual empath. I'm not Pagan or Wiccan. I don't pull rabbits out of hats. I never burn sage or incense. Cards are pieces of paper, not magical entities with a mind of their own. I don't converse with "spirit guides".

Feel free to hate, and verbally express it, but at 53, I'm too mature to care.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Feel free to hate, and verbally express it, but at 53, I'm too mature to care.
We try to keep Aeclectic a hate-free zone. :) Folks are encouraged to express opposing viewpoints as long as they follow the Respect Our Members part of our Forum Rules.

rwcarter, Moderator of Tarot Books & Media

Barleywine

I came across Holistic Tarot at Barnes & Noble this past week-end, browsed throught it, and decided it's one I want. But B&N doesn't discount popular titles and I thought I could do better than the $35 list price, so I bought Anthony Louis' Tarot Beyond the Basics inatead. Time to fire up Amazon.com :)

Nemia

Lyn B, I LOL'ed when I read that! That's me! Did I write that? I do burn incense because I like the smell but I totally share your point of view. We're even nearly the same age, I'm 51.

Wen's book is wonderful and inspiring and very intelligent. I'm glad I bought the Kindle edition because this huge volume is difficult to handle (although the illustrations of course are easier to use in the print version). I love Wen's approach and her strong emphasis on personal, reasoned choice. She never expects you to run after her and say: I agree! I agree! I love that. I took so many ideas from her, didn't even implement all of them, there is just so much material.

Like others, I find Holistic a less-than-ideal title because I associate it with holistic healing. "Tarot for intellectual empaths" is obviously a book waiting to be written... but Benebell Wen's book comes pretty close.

I'm off now to re-read my copy!

Tennessee

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum. I'm reading Holistic Tarot and would love to discuss it with some folks here. I see that there's a thread, but it seems to be focused more on discussing issues with the book rather than the book itself (not that there's anything wrong with that). Would anyone be up for discussion?

rwcarter

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum. I'm reading Holistic Tarot and would love to discuss it with some folks here. I see that there's a thread, but it seems to be focused more on discussing issues with the book rather than the book itself (not that there's anything wrong with that). Would anyone be up for discussion?
See Tarot Book Club: Holistic Tarot