Why the Noblet?

cjxtypes

Yes @ Yves Le Marseillais, I was at this site just earlier this morning and am much intrigued by the Pierre Madenié.....

Cindy

Philippe

Charm and old lines of old tarots may help us to enter in symphaty with their sense no ?

Yves

Yes, but that is true for the GENUINE Noblet such as we can see it here :

https://www.sendspace.com/file/kqgdty

In the Flornoy's deck which looks neither old nor new, the horses particularly remind me some
child's toys. There is less quirkiness in the original.
Recreations are not necessarily successful.

Rose Lalonde

Unless I'm mistaken, the Noblet is the oldest deck to be labeled a TdM. That's enough to make it of interest to many people. And as has been said above, it has unique details. The books that suggest studying/reading with it have certainly helped, but I imagine people will have an interest in the oldest and the unusual. I'm glad Flornoy left us with a Noblet we can hold in our hands.

I find it very readable. I also love the smaller size. Given what little I know, I like Flornoy's choices (excepting Le Chariot). But I don't care for Noblet's flat expressions and small faces, which can give readings a less than warm feel to me.

Because of that, I switched to the Pierre Madenié for most readings. Everyone has their own preferences, and to me it's just beautiful. Plus the expressions are my favorite of any TdM I've seen. They're sort of similar to the kind expressions the CBD got by altering Conver's faces.

inanna_tarot

To the OP...

I cant give you detailed historical 'stuff' on why I love the Noblet.. but here are my reasons.
1) the size.. its so rare to find a perfectly formed small deck that isn't just a larger deck with the image squished into size. Its a perfect size for me.

2) The fact its the only TdM that I actually like and enjoy a lot rather than just the historical decks I have for interest and comparison.

3) There is something really personable and cheeky about the deck - yes the figures can look a bit odd and the horses from a funny angle... but I find it that is gives the images and figures more character and more expression than just a mere woodcut that's perfectly formed. I don't really like CGI decks that are all shading and fake light - I prefer real art, and for a while the woodcut press was the 'real art' of the working man. Its part of history, of human history, and not just of the super rich who could commission decks like the Visconti's of Italy.

4) The colours, the patterns, the way the leaves and flowers are.... they all hold so much more imagery and flow to a reading than just a mere pip card - yes this is true to all TdM, but I like the Noblets the most.

So, theres some Noblet gushing for you.. if its not for you then that's fair enough. Plenty of decks out there. But I find my Noblet to be cheeky, lovable and more interactive than other TdM. My Dodal I have but I don't 'enjoy' it as much as my Noblet and I have mostly used it for TdM circles.

Rose Lalonde

3) There is something really personable and cheeky about the deck...

Agreed! I get the feeling Noblet was a pretty charismatic guy. There's also a confidence in his choice of straight, bold lines in a lot of places... I can't really explain it well, but I can see it, especially in the pips. It would still be my go to deck if not for having fallen hard for the (admittedly very different) Madenié.

cjxtypes

Now I do really like the pips in the Noblet that I will say. I do really like the size. I love the back pattern. What books are out there may I ask that suggest studying/reading @Rose Lalonde with this particular deck? Again Im still banking it may grow in me. Other decks in the past..

cjxtypes

Any reviews on the Jean Michel David book?

Richard

J-M. David's Reading the Marseille Tarot is illustrated primarily with the Flornoy Noblet, although it contains comparisons with other decks and is intended to be an adjunct to all Marseille-type decks. It is the best book I have ever read on Tarot iconography.

Here is a thread about it.

cjxtypes

Is there any place where you can look inside this book? Amazon like?