Herbal Tarot - The Magician / Astragalus I

rainbowmoon

I have decided to pull one card every day or two and study it to better learn and know this deck.

Today's card for me was The Magician/Astragalus.

I'll come back later and update with my reflections on this card. (ie; when my kids are in bed for the night!)

rainbowmoon

I don't have the book that goes with this deck. Does anyone have it out there?

I know this card is supposed to signify creativity. Otherwise I am trying to find magical meanings for astragalus itself.

Astragalus is an antiviral and good for boosting the immune system.

I'll be back with more thoughts soon..

Horace

magician/astragalus

Hi rainbowmoon...this is a good card to start with.:) This little known herb is sitting on my counter. It was first given to my cancer stricken husband around 14 years ago. I checked on google and they don't know much more now. I use it all the time in my crockpot soups. The most common words with it are, immunity and potential benefits.
Tying in with the Magician, I think, would be the word, potential. I guess that's why he's holding the crystal ball, looking for something to create for the future. Does it mention that in any of the book? IS there a book?
This is an herb that is typically used with other herbs to create an herbal cocktail. It 'boosts' the work of the others. and it does look like the tools are laid out in succession. My other thought was the color blend in the background was the area of the body the herb works on, lung, liver, digestion.

Did you notice there is no infinity circle on this Magician card? Maybe the crystal ball has a tie in with that..

I don't even have the LWB with this deck. Hopefully hunter will have lots to add, or anybody else with the book. :) Hh

hunter

I have the LWB, but not the big book. I cannot afford it right now. Used copies start at $60.00 I think.

Increases energy
powerful immune tonic

Symbolically used for: poor assimilation of food and ideas. Weakness, fatigue, sluggishness, tendency to be cold.

Poor assimilation of ideas sticks out to me.

Assimilation: The process of absorbing nutrients into the body after digestion. The process of assimilating new ideas into an existing cognitive structure.

I feel like there is so much meaning to this card that I am just scratching the surface of. This card is really speaking to me today. I picked the magician yesterday in another deck. Also the 4 of cups.

I feel like I'm missing some stuff or just not able to use it properly. Maybe doing a little ritual with this card would help me get unblocked? I have the tools, they are all right there. I just need a little astragalus to help me assimilate things?

I'm going to lay this card on my altar tonight. I need a little boost.

rainbowmoon

Thanks so much for your post. I feel alot of the same about this card. Like I am missing something exactly!

I am going to reflect on it or a few more days and will post more when I can!

hunter said:
I have the LWB, but not the big book. I cannot afford it right now. Used copies start at $60.00 I think.

Increases energy
powerful immune tonic

Symbolically used for: poor assimilation of food and ideas. Weakness, fatigue, sluggishness, tendency to be cold.

Poor assimilation of ideas sticks out to me.

Assimilation: The process of absorbing nutrients into the body after digestion. The process of assimilating new ideas into an existing cognitive structure.

I feel like there is so much meaning to this card that I am just scratching the surface of. This card is really speaking to me today. I picked the magician yesterday in another deck. Also the 4 of cups.

I feel like I'm missing some stuff or just not able to use it properly. Maybe doing a little ritual with this card would help me get unblocked? I have the tools, they are all right there. I just need a little astragalus to help me assimilate things?

I'm going to lay this card on my altar tonight. I need a little boost.

hunter

I think maybe this card is like electricity. It powers up the other cards. Or is very individual to the situation. I think maybe it will reveal itself in each reading. Maybe what we are missing is the context.

fairybugg

I might end up talking to myself here since the group looks very quite but that is fine... Sad but fine.
I do have the book it is now in re-print. Everyone did a really good job with the meaning without the book but I just re-read the section and the part that sticks out for me a part about being "spacy" because of low blood sugar. I am Hypoglycemic so I know this feeling well. Your body just does not processes right or is lacking.
Something else that struck me as interesting, "Since, obesity is a condition in which we have lost to some extent out ability to transmute and digest food, just as in the spiritual realm we have lost our ability to transmute ideas, feelings, and experiences, astragalus can be taken regularly to help overcome this tendency." I find this facinating given the epidemic of obesity in the US and our lack of real wholesome foods... Just something to chew on.

Soaring Eagle

I - Magician - Astralagus

See the Major Arcana cards in Constellation 1.

Description: A man stands pointing at the ground with his right hand, and raising a crystal ball in his left. On the rocks to one side of him are a cup, a disc with a flower on it, a sword, and a wand or staff that is lying upon the ground. There is a large astragalus plant growing in front of him.

Significant Details: The cup represents water (life force and emotions), the disc represents earth (physical), the sword represents air (thoughts), and the wand or staff represents fire (action). The astragalus plant is representing the assimilation of new ideas, and a boosting of energy.

Keywords: Potential; Assimilation of ideas; Concentration, Action, Creation, Willpower

Medicinal Uses: Astragalus is used to suppress coughs, and the gum it produces is used in lozenges and emulsions. Symbolically used for poor assimilation of food and ideas, weakness, fatigue, sluggishness, tendency to be cold. It is also considered an immune booster.

My Interpretation: This is a time to realize your potential. You may be assimilating ideas to put into use. Your thoughts and energies flow in harmony to accomplish what needs to be done.

Number Significance: The Magician is in Constellation 1 with the X Medicine Wheel, XIX Sun, The Aces, and The Tens. Communication; Self consciousness; Individualization; Self-expression; Initiative; At-one-ment; Originality.

Thoughts/Points to Ponder: The magician is pointing down, possibly signifying that he is finding his footing, grounding himself while looking to the future and what lies ahead of him.