Atu XXI, The Universe- The end of a journey is the start of another!

Owl Tarot

And welcome folks, welcome- to The Universe, the last (or first depending on your point of view!) Trump, Atu XXI! I am Owl Tarot, and here goes the last -but not least in any way- Trump of the Major Arcana! It has been a wonderful journey for me, this. As some of you already know, I decided to start weekly threads about some of the thoughts and interpretations, as they come to me the moment I am writing, of the Trump I am currently studying. It is the third time I undergo this process (of weekly Trump study I mean) because in the previous two I gained further insight about the cards so I decided to follow this process yet again, but with a slightly different twist in it, which is to create weekly threads about the Trump of the week! You know the drill, if you have something which you want to say to add to the discussion and make the thread alive, I'm all ears for your thoughts, emotions, energies and experiences with this Trump as with all the others!

XXI- The Universe

Planetary Trump of Saturn- Elemental Trump of Earth (Double Duty)

32nd Path, connecting Yesod to Malkuth. Hebrew letter: Tau (Cross)

I don't know where to start, this Trump overwhelms me so easily but I have to find a starting point to take it properly into consideration. I will start from a point which I consider of great importance when one wants to appreciate this Trump: The very nature of the element of Earth and it's function, or rather the most precise word for me would be the perspective under which Earth is regarded both in the New Aeon and, following that lead, in the Book of Thoth Tarot deck as well. Crowley in his comments about the Ace of Disks, the Root of the Earth element, states

Book of Thoth said:
These historical data are necessary to explain why all previous packs are of little more than archaeological interest; for the New Aeon demanded a new system of symbolism. Thus, in particular, the old conception of the Earth as a passive, immobile, even dead, even “evil” element, had to go. It was imperative to restore the King-Scale colour attribution to that of the Aeon of Isis, Emerald Green, as was understood by the Egyptian Hierophants. This green is, however, not the original vegetable green of Isis, but the new green of spring following the resurrection of Osiris as Horus. Nor are the Disks any more to be considered as Coins; the Disk is a whirling emblem. Naturally so; since it is now know that every Star, every true Planet, is a whirling sphere. The Atom, again, is no more the hard, intractable, dead Particle of Dalton, but a system of whirling forces, comparable to the Solar hierarchy itself.

Emerald Green is a huge part of our Trump, and the justification Crowley attributes to that very fact is pretty self-explanatory. The Minor Arcana of the Earth element is no longer to be regarded merely as Coins, a symbol of material wealth, but as Disks, a symbol of motion and movement towards a purpose. Earth is no longer to be viewed as the "evil" element, but as a symbol of the Divine energy crystallized and as much a part of Life as any other element.

Book of Thoth said:
The first and most obvious characteristic of this card is that it comes at the end of all, and is therefore the complement of the Fool. It is attributed to the letter Tau. The two cards together accordingly spell the word Ath, which means Essence. All reality is consequently compromised in the series of which these two letters form the beginning and the end. This beginning was Nothing; the end must there fore be also Nothing, but Nothing in its complete expansion, as previously explained. The number 4, rather than the number 2, was chosen as the basis of this expansion, partly no doubt for convenience, to enlarge the “universe of discourse”; partly to emphasize the idea of limitation.

The letter Tau means the Sign of the Cross, that is, of extension; and this extension is symbolized as four-fold because of the convenience of constructing the revolving symbol of Tetragrammaton. In the case of the number 2, the only issue is the return to the unity or to the negative. No continuous process can be conveniently symbolized; but the number 4 lends itself, not only to this rigid extension, the hard facts of nature, but also to the transcendence of space and time by a continuously self-compensating change.

The Universe is the Trump which represents the last Path the Kabbalistic concept called the Lightning Flash or the Flaming Sword takes. What is presented as beginning with The Fool, the Primal motion of the energy of God (Kether), reaches it's completion as depicted The Universe. The Will of God to crystallize it's endless energy in form is here completed. Every single manifested being is a Star, is connected with God because it is a child of God's Will and it contains it's personal Divinity within. So the Totality of God, the Nothing which cannot be exactly conseptualized, is here completely expanded and manifested.

Tau means a Cross, but here we haven't got the Cavarly Cross of Tiphareth, but the Equilateral Cross. The Equilateral Cross is a symbol of the 4 Elements, the revolving formula of Tetragrammaton and in Ancient Greece it was a symbol of Zeus, whose Trump is Atu X, Fortune, a presantation of the Universe's revolving mechanism. A direct reference to the number 4 is apparent, and Crowley explains carefully why 4 is so important in this case.

Book of Thoth said:
The letter Tau is attributed to Saturn, the outermost and slowest of the seven sacred planets; because of these dull, heavy qualities, the element of earth was thrust upon the symbol. The original three elements, Fire, Air, Water, sufficed for primitive thought; Earth and Spirit represent a later accretion. Neither is to be found in the original twenty-two Paths of the Sepher Yetzirah. The world of Assiah, the material world, does not appear except as a pendant to the Tree of Life.

In the same way, the element of Spirit is attributed to the letter Shin, as an additional ornament, somewhat in the same way as Kether is said to be symbolized by the topmost point of the Yod of Tetragrammaton. It is constantly necessary to distinguish between the symbols of philosophical theory and those more elaborate symbols based upon them which are necessary in practical work.
Saturn and Earth have certain qualities in common-heaviness, coldness, dryness, immobility, dullness and the like. Yet Saturn appears in Binah in respect of its blackness in the Queen’s scale, which is the scale of Observed Nature; but always, as soon as the end of Saturn and Earth have certain qualities in common-heaviness, coldness, dryness, immobility, dullness and the like. Yet Saturn appears in Binah in respect of its blackness in the Queen’s scale, which is the scale of Observed Nature; but always, as soon as the end of a process is reached, it returns automatically to the beginning.

Saturn is -Astrologically speaking- the planet corresponding to Binah, the Supernal Mother residing above the Abyss and the He primal of the formula of Tetragrammaton. The Formula of the Tetragrammaton is a revolving and "alive" Formula which in the end results in the Daughter, the He final of the Tetragrammaton corresponding to the element of Earth, to take the throne of her Mother by marrying The Son (Vau, the element of Air, Sun) which results in her "becoming" He primal and the circle goes on. We can see her in her beauty dancing right at the middle!

The Yetziratic Text of Malkuth will help to further clarify the connection between the Daughter (He final, Malkuth) and Her Mother (He primal, Binah):
The Tenth Path is called the Resplendent Intelligence because it is exalted above every head and sits upon the Throne of Binah. It illuminates the splendours of all the Lights, and causes an influence to emanate from the Prince of Countenances, the Angel of Kether.

The Throne of Binah is behind her as we see the Trump I think, and the black sickle she holds with her right hand is a magical weapon of this Path (Liber 777, Table XLI).

Crowley directly refers to the beautiful function of Earth in the New Aeon when he says that "when the end of a process is reached, it returns automatically to the beginning." This Path is the last, thus the next step is for the opposite Path to be followed, by ascending from the ending point to the starting point. The Yetziratic Text really reveals the beauty and importance of Earth as an Element of equal importance as any other.

Book of Thoth said:
It becomes then reasonable to argue from analogy that since the end must beget the beginning, the symbolism will follow; hence, blackness is also attributed to the sun, according to a certain long- hidden tradition. One of the shocks for candidates in the “Mysteries” was the revelation “Osiris is a black god”.

Osiris is a Solar Deity and thus black, a color usually used to indicate the element of Earth when the Earth was considered to be the opposite of Spirit, which is usually represented by the color white, in our Trump we have two spheres in the two serpent coils: One is black and the other is golden. Gold is the metal assosiated with the Sun, but what's black doing there? This is where the previous consideration of Osiris as a black God comes in handy. In Egyptian mythology, the Sun and the Moon are seen as the Eyes of Ra. The Moon corresponds to Yesod, so the binding of the symbology isn't so hard from here onwards.

What we considered up to now is nicely packed in BoT:
Book of Thoth said:
Saturn, therefore, is masculine; he is the old god, (the god of fertility) the sun in the south; but equally the Great Sea, the great Mother; and the letter Tau upon the Tree of Life appears as an emanation from the moon of Yesod, the foundation of the Tree and representative of the reproductive process and of the equilibrium between change and stability, or rather their identification. The influence of the path descends upon the earth, Malkuth, the daughter. Here again appears the doctrine of “setting the daughter upon the throne of the Mother”. In the card itself there is consequently a glyph of the completion of the Great Work in its highest sense, exactly as the Atu of the Fool symbolizes its beginning. The Fool is the negative issuing into manifestation; the Universe is that manifestation, its purpose accomplished, ready to return. The twenty cards that lie between these two exhibit the Great Work and its agents in various stages. The image of the Universe in this sense is accordingly that of a maiden, the final letter of Tetragrammaton.

But a very central feature which we haven't yet considered is the dancing patern of our Lady in gold, the Snake whose head she is stepping on to. Those who know of Christian imagery might have come across the same theme, the Virgin Mary stepping on the head of the serpent. Eliphas Levi explains this symbolism in his Transcendental Magic:

The sovereign will is represented in our symbols by the Woman who crushes the serpent's head and by the rediant angel who restrains and constrains the dragon with lance and heel. In this place let us affirm that the Great Magical Agent- the double current of light, the living and astral fire of the earth- was represented by the serpent with the head of an ox, a goat, or dog, in ancient theogonies. It is the dual serpent of the caduceus, the old serpent of Genesis, but it is also the brazen serpent of Moses, twined about the Tau, that is, the generating lingam...
(It) is really that blind force which souls must overcome if they would be freed from the chains of earth;
The whole magical work consists therefore in our liberation from the folds of the ancient serpent, then setting foot upon its head and leading it where we will.

Levi assosiates the serpent with the serpent from Genesis, the serpent responsible for the event called the Fall of Man. It is a serpent with dual qualities and it is a force which can be utilized in many ways. However, in out Trump, the Daughter is stepping on it's head, so her sovereign will is directing it's force where she Wills. The serpent also has two colors. Crowley will also indicates that
Book of Thoth said:
In her hands she manipulates the radiant spiral force, the active and passive, each possessing its dual polarity. her dancing partner is shown as Heru-Ra-Ha of Atu XIX.

Heru-ra-ha is the dual Deity which consists of Ra-hoor-khuit and Hoor-pa-kraat. If we consider this along with Levi's text, which also focuses on the dual aspect of the serpent, we can see how it relates. Ra-hoor-khuit is the active part of the equation and Hoor-pa-kraat is the more passive part of the equation. Heru-ra-ha is a Solar deity, so it corresponds to the Sephira Tiphareth, the Sun. The dance depicted, thereoff, I think is the dance of the Earth with the Sun.

In the corners of the card we have the 4 Kerubim in the same order we see them in The Hierophant, but in this instance they are manifested and wind is issued from teir mouths. Wind is Air, and The Fool is the Trump corresponding to Air, the Breath of Life itself. What began with The Fool is now complete and the beautiful result of the process of creation is proudly standing in the middle!

The myth of Persephone is really relevant here, but since it is already too long I will now talk a bit about the position of the Path on the Tree of Life. This Path connects Yesod with Malkuth. Yesod is the Sephira which can be seen as the machine room of a ship, the foundation on which all manifested reality rests on, since "It proves and corrects the designing of their representations, and disposes the unity with which they are designed without diminution or division." as the Yetziratic Text so nicely puts it. When this is considered, it becomes apparent why the symbolism is so rich and complex. On the other end, we have Malkuth, the manifested universe itself. The Moon receives the Solar light and reflects it to Earth, as one may like to see this Path while considering the image. The Vision assosiated with Malkuth is the Vision of the Holy Guardian Angel, which is good food for thought since the Solar symbolism is really there in the Trump. Also on the bottom of the card, Crowley states that we have the table of the chemical elements further suggesting concrete matter.

For the last time (for now at the least), I created a really long post which was a good exercise in itself for me and I hope it both helps you and motivates you to give me some food for thought! The truth is that the complexity of this particular Trump is gigantic (as with the rest of them) so I indeed ommit a good ammount of symbols, but I think I covered some of the essense of the Trump in this post. As usually Those are just a few from the things I could say about this card as I see it today of course, I hope you enjoyed it and that it helps you and I'm looking forward to hear some your thoughts as well!

smw

Thanks for your thoughts again.

This card does seem overwhelming and full of mysteries. Like the reference in the BOT to the wheel of light in the centre which initiates the tree of life for the wholly pure of heart only...

I was grappling with this card earlier in the week and then went off on a wild good chase to find out about Samael and Lilith for some reason. I was sure they were in there somewhere, as both seem mythically involved with Adam and Eve, also mentioned in places as the slanted and torturous serpents. I also read something interesting on a gnostic site about Samael being considered the ruler of the primitive animal and instinctive kingdom, with the jurisdiction of killing, linked to the strength of Geburah, serving God in Justice. Lilith or a similar earlier figure being represented by eros the serpent (sometimes both of them together androgynously). Going off a bit more this kind of reminded me of 'Love under will' perhaps a little in the aspect of disciplined will, not giving in to animal instincts but being in control of them in the dance. This seemed to make sense at the time..

smw

What seems incredibly difficult to say about this card and it's path to Yesod is that is does feel like a tiny and at the same time huge first step in appreciating how awesome our universe it. Like you have discussed :) it is glowing...A celebration !

I think I am oversharing too much now by saying that on the personal level, sexuality and spirituality, (or sense of the divine) for me have been totally separate. The dance of this card speaks to me as the start and the completion of this integration - with balance and control.

Owl Tarot

Sorry about the late response, I was kind of busy. Thank you for your responses btw!

Thanks for your thoughts again.

This card does seem overwhelming and full of mysteries. Like the reference in the BOT to the wheel of light in the centre which initiates the tree of life for the wholly pure of heart only...

I was grappling with this card earlier in the week and then went off on a wild good chase to find out about Samael and Lilith for some reason. I was sure they were in there somewhere, as both seem mythically involved with Adam and Eve, also mentioned in places as the slanted and torturous serpents. I also read something interesting on a gnostic site about Samael being considered the ruler of the primitive animal and instinctive kingdom, with the jurisdiction of killing, linked to the strength of Geburah, serving God in Justice. Lilith or a similar earlier figure being represented by eros the serpent (sometimes both of them together androgynously). Going off a bit more this kind of reminded me of 'Love under will' perhaps a little in the aspect of disciplined will, not giving in to animal instincts but being in control of them in the dance. This seemed to make sense at the time..

Nice thoughts here! And it should as well if you ask me. The Virgin Mary is many times depicted stepping on the serpent's head as well. My quotation from Eliphas Levi above may aid one in understanding that Virgin Mary crushing the serpent's head has the same basic idea: Guiding one's own kundalini, or personal power, where we Will. By itself, it is a neutral force that can go many ways. Under the direction of the Will, it serves one's personal God.

What seems incredibly difficult to say about this card and it's path to Yesod is that is does feel like a tiny and at the same time huge first step in appreciating how awesome our universe it. Like you have discussed :) it is glowing...A celebration !

I think I am oversharing too much now by saying that on the personal level, sexuality and spirituality, (or sense of the divine) for me have been totally separate. The dance of this card speaks to me as the start and the completion of this integration - with balance and control.

From the perspective of Kether-Hadit-God the Father-Amoun, it is a celebration. The series of events which began by the Prime Mover is here complete, so from God's perspective, it is a feast! I think a couple of verses by the Gospel of John can help appreciate why this is such a joyful event (you could read them side to side with the 1st chapter of Liber AL):

John 4:7-8 said:
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Also, this card is so complex since the lower we descend into the Tree, the more ideas become complex as far as I understand. A title of Kether is "The Simple Light", and this can be easily understood when someone finds the essence behind the first few Trumps. They all have a certain idea, no matter the complexity under which the idea may be presented. But the lower we get, the more complex things become. Especially here, where we are talking about the mechanism of the entire material existence!

I just kind of "cut" my OP short as with all the Trumps, since I would need a lot of pages to write all my thoughts, energies and feelings. I merely write what comes to me when I'm writing, so it is actually the "tip of the iceberg". This is one of the reasons I don't cover all the symbolism as I interpret it.

smw

Sorry deleted

smw

Sorry will reply again- need to work out quotes

smw

Nice thoughts here! And it should as well if you ask me. The Virgin Mary is many times depicted stepping on the serpent's head as well. My quotation from Eliphas Levi above may aid one in understanding that Virgin Mary crushing the serpent's head has the same basic idea: Guiding one's own kundalini, or personal power, where we Will. By itself, it is a neutral force that can go many ways. Under the direction of the Will, it serves one's personal God.

:) Sorry though, for not referencing your thoughts here, I must have taken that in and then forgot whilst reading around the net etc.. I did get rather bogged down.

Owl Tarot4249175 said:
From the perspective of Kether-Hadit-God the Father-Amoun, it is a celebration. The series of events which began by the Prime Mover is here complete, so from God's perspective, it is a feast! I think a couple of verses by the Gospel of John can help appreciate why this is such a joyful event (you could read them side to side with the 1st chapter of Liber AL):