Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

crystalrose

So I went ahead and purchased the Deviant Moon and I think I may return it. Pros - the borderless version is gorgeous and I find the artwork really well done. But I think the deck is too intensely dark for me. I see what you guys meant as far as it giving really blunt, Achilles-tendon slashing readings. It actually told me something really intriguing, but something about the deck isn't sparking my intuition as clearly as I want. I think I need a tad bit more joy. I love the Bohemian Gothic so I thought I could handle a darker deck, but this one is difficult. And the Hermit is a dealbreaker for me. It doesn't give me a spiritual wisdom Hermit vibe at all. Looking at the pic online I thought I could deal with that card but in person, no.

I see how it could be great for someone into very deep shadow work but it's too challenging for me right now. Working with it in person makes me worry that it's gonna give me nightmares. :laugh: I'm torn between sending it back to Amazon or keeping it to see if it will work for me at a later date. Or I may use it alongside other decks.

Walrus

Pros and cons of the Silent Tarot?
I find the art rather nice, but I'm wary of falling for another pretty deck that ends up collecting dust on a shelf :p Do you (people who have it) find that you use it all that often?

Padma

Pros and cons of the Silent Tarot?
I find the art rather nice, but I'm wary of falling for another pretty deck that ends up collecting dust on a shelf :p Do you (people who have it) find that you use it all that often?

I thought I would love it, but I ended up giving it to a niece. It just remained "silent" for me, I suppose! She likes it, though. I thought the cards were big, too. The lady who makes them is really nice, though :) (Esmerelda)

Myrrha

M
something about the deck isn't sparking my intuition as clearly as I want. I think I need a tad bit more joy. I love the Bohemian Gothic so I thought I could handle a darker deck, but this one is difficult. And the Hermit is a dealbreaker for me. It doesn't give me a spiritual wisdom Hermit vibe at all. Looking at the pic online I thought I could deal with that card but in person, no. [trim]

I see how it could be great for someone into very deep shadow work but it's too challenging for me right now. [trim] I'm torn between sending it back to Amazon or keeping it to see if it will work for me at a later date. Or I may use it alongside other decks.

My humble experience is that joy is closely connected with intuition. So is humor and there is humor of a kind in the Deviant Moon. The characters like to exaggerate and aren't always what they seem (maybe the Hermit isn't really crazy he just likes to play that way or is seen that way by others). I do see what you mean though. I found a lot of depth in the DM but it didn't work for me as a reading deck.

crystalrose

M

My humble experience is that joy is closely connected with intuition. So is humor and there is humor of a kind in the Deviant Moon. The characters like to exaggerate and aren't always what they seem (maybe the Hermit isn't really crazy he just likes to play that way or is seen that way by others). I do see what you mean though. I found a lot of depth in the DM but it didn't work for me as a reading deck.

Yes. I wanted to edit my post to say that I did actually notice the DM has a sense of humor. It's playful and at times childlike. The deck is growing on me, but I know it's not going to be one of my main reading decks. I'm not bonded to it in that way. But I agree it has depth so I'm going to keep it.

Walrus

I thought I would love it, but I ended up giving it to a niece. It just remained "silent" for me, I suppose! She likes it, though. I thought the cards were big, too. The lady who makes them is really nice, though :) (Esmerelda)

Ah, well it's nice someone else could enjoy it at least! I heard about the card size, although I believe the second edition now being sold is smaller. Hmm, I'm going to have to deliberate on it some more, I think :D

Padma

Silent Tarot

Ah, well it's nice someone else could enjoy it at least! I heard about the card size, although I believe the second edition now being sold is smaller. Hmm, I'm going to have to deliberate on it some more, I think :D

Bear in mind my niece is...very odd. Her tastes are very peculiar. So, it's not a vote of confidence for the deck. The images are just photos from the past - there is no artwork involved here, sadly. While the deck creator is a kind and lovely woman, I can't go on and on about the artwork, it's not hers, it is just old photos.

I suppose in the end, you must make up your own mind. :)

Madrigal

Golden Thread Tarot?

Missed out on the first printing, second printing is in. Anybody want to enable me? I'm pretty close to buying it but it feels a bit static when I spend any time online with it.

Nemia

Bear in mind my niece is...very odd. Her tastes are very peculiar. So, it's not a vote of confidence for the deck. The images are just photos from the past - there is no artwork involved here, sadly. While the deck creator is a kind and lovely woman, I can't go on and on about the artwork, it's not hers, it is just old photos.

I suppose in the end, you must make up your own mind. :)

I think "just old photos" is very harsh for a collage deck. The Silent tarot is a work of art, and collage IS an art form. The artist used not only old photos but many other materials. The choice, composition, treatment are hers.

I don't know how it reads (which is obviously very important), but I have the Stretch tarot, another collage deck, and it reads beautifully.

There is quite a number of collage decks by now: Voyager and Kat Black's decks, Victoria Regina and Baba decks, Antiquarian, Stretch and Silent tarot... and they're very different from each other, but all qualify as art.

Padma

I think "just old photos" is very harsh for a collage deck. The Silent tarot is a work of art, and collage IS an art form. The artist used not only old photos but many other materials. The choice, composition, treatment are hers.

I don't know how it reads (which is obviously very important), but I have the Stretch tarot, another collage deck, and it reads beautifully.

There is quite a number of collage decks by now: Voyager and Kat Black's decks, Victoria Regina and Baba decks, Antiquarian, Stretch and Silent tarot... and they're very different from each other, but all qualify as art.

Dearest Nemia, I am sorry if you thought I was harsh. I agree with what you say about it being her choice, composition, and treatment.

I do have some collage decks that I deeply love (Kat Black's decks leap to mind) and I am sorry this deck (Silent) didn't resonate with me. I wish it had. :livelong: