So Many Marseille Decks But No Books

gregory

Hi! The book by Lee Bursten that comes with the TdM that you're recommending: do you mean the Little White Book with the deck, or one that comes with the set? I'm looking for a good starter book and the Jean-Michel David is just so expensive.

The one that comes with the set. It really is pretty damn good !

Metafizzypop

I've been going nuts trying to find that book by Lee Bursten, too. It used to be available on its own, but it isn't any more. I have the Universal Marseille deck, which I bought before I knew it was available in kit form with the book.

The deck does have a LWB, also by Lee Bursten, which in itself is pretty good, as far as LWBs go.

Nickigirl

I just got the set with Lee's book. I haven't had much chance to look at it yet. But the deck seemed ok. Why don't you guys like it? Is it not historically correct?

Chiriku

I just got the set with Lee's book. I haven't had much chance to look at it yet. But the deck seemed ok. Why don't you guys like it? Is it not historically correct?

I don't much care for it for aesthetic reasons. In general in art and life, I am a "more color is always better" person. But apparently not with regards to TdM-style decks. For instance, while on one level I like looking at the Fournier, on another, I somewhat dislike all the colors getting in the way of how I feel a Marseilles "should" be.

There is something about those iconic Majors against a white or neutral light background that makes them seem all the more iconic and authoritative.

And I don't think the actual lines of these drawings, such as in the Emperor, are as appealing.

Also, we must never underestimate the negative effects of the Lo Scarabeo multi-lingual titles.

P.S. I don't own the deck, but I've seen a few distant images online. does this deck have a Two of Coins after the Swiss pattern?

prudence

I don't have Jean-Michel's book but did an on-line course of his years ago which was so helpful. He's amazing, a wealth of info. I was lucky enough to meet him at a conference and got to 'chat' about his passion for tarot history. I'm not often 'starstruck' but it was absolutely the highlight of my tarot years. :)
I took jmd's course too, but had no idea he had a book! Is the book based off of his course or is it vastly different?

tarot heart

Nickigirl, I too like the deck very much. I truly believe it will become a classic.
Always remember that it is important for you to like it and not be concerned about what anyone else thinks. Follow that rule and you will never go wrong. :)

Nickigirl

I like the brightness of the universal marseille deck. Especially since my only other marseille is the Nicholas Conver by Heron which is very much not bright, but beautiful. At least these Lo Scarabeo borders are quite narrow. :) I'm excited to get started on the book, and to start learning more about reading with the marseille decks.

Richard

I took jmd's course too, but had no idea he had a book! Is the book based off of his course or is it vastly different?
My understanding is that the book is based on the course. It is an impressive piece of scholarship!