A mini-TdM deck - recommendations needed

dancing_moon

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum...

I've been cherishing the idea of buying a mini-TdM deck, something about the size of usual playing cards/poker cards, to sit in my purse at all times. However, I'm unable to find anything but the ubiquitous LoS Burdel and the very strange Vandenborre, aka Tarot Flamand de 1780 (I might settle with this latter one if nothing better comes up).

Do they produce any other TdM decks in this size? Perhaps, the very idea is weird, and TdM decks should be as large as possible? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

dancing_moon

Hi, Alane!

Thanks for your recommendation! Unfortunately, the site you gave me doesn't specify the size of this particular deck - do you have it? And another deck, Dodal, sold at approximately the same price is 132 x 73 mm - which is quite large. :bugeyed: I'm looking for something up to 90 x 65 mm (3.5 x 2.5 in.) in size.

Thanks anyway! It's a great deck to have in mini size. :)

kalliope

Dancing_moon, if you take a peak at the second link that Alane provided, it lists the size of the Noblet as 61mm x 98mm, so it's a little taller than regular playing cards, but pretty close. (I knew it was smaller than the Dodal, but didn't know it was as small as it is, so I'm interested in this one now!)

I'm also a mini & pocket deck fan, and I've been interested in smaller TdM decks just like you. I have the Grimaud mini, which is available from Alida in Italy (item gr001, listed under "Ancien Tarot de Marseille Mini"). They ship many places internationally, not sure about Ukraine. It's about the size of a Lo Scarabeo mini, so approximately 80mm x 44mm, same as the Burdel mini would be.

There is also a very new independent mini deck by a creator in Japan, as seen in this thread here. It's based on the Madenié deck, and it's very nicely done. It's also the same size as the one above.

The Camoin-Jodorowsky deck comes in a mini size, available from their website directly. I'd also check some European Amazon websites and eBay for this one.

I also own a super tiny version of the Fournier TdM. (38mm x 58mm !!) It's even smaller than the Lenormand minis, so it's not the easiest to handle, but it's super cute and convenient to stash in your purse.

Good luck finding one you like!

dancing_moon

Kalliope, thanks so much for your recommendations!

I did look at the second link, but I didn't notice the sizes. Thanks for pointing it out to me! :) Yes, those dimensions are quite close, I'll be having another look at it.

I love the Grimaud mini, had a look at Alida website, and I think they do ship to Ukraine (they even ship to Oceania :bugeyed:). It's a bit pricey for me just now, but I'm happy to know they exist. Love this deck. :heart:

The Japanese deck looks very nice, but I do prefer my TdMs crude and ugly. :D The same applies to Camoin-Jodorowsky deck. :)

Where did you get such a tiny deck?! THAT's what I call convenient. :D

kalliope

I saw you got my PM about the Fournier mini. I think it's kind of hard to find these days, so it must be out of print. I happened to find one listed on Amazon a couple of years ago, so I just lucked out!

By the way, I just got out my Grimaud mini and realized I was wrong about the size: it's actually smaller than the LS minis. It's 75mm x 40mm, just for the record. :)

dancing_moon

Thanks for your help! The size of that Grimaud is really tempting... :D :heart:

journeyinghome

The Noblet really is lovely. Clear and small but not too small.

There's someone selling the mini Grimaud on ebay.fr at the moment, says they ship worldwide. You might want to look at that :)

dancing_moon

Thanks for the tips, Journeyinghome! I've had a look, and the deck looks very promising. :)