Ohh the TdM Knights

BSwett

Did a reading yesterday. Horseshoe spread. In position 5, which in my version of this spread refers to the environment or external influences I (She) got the Knight of Cups.

This to my knowledge could mean a messenger, a dreamer, a lover, someone in search of inspiration. From previous studies with the RWS i've retained the idea of the Knight holding an empty cup and having trouble with this. He is the fire in the water suit which creates conflict...

I need some other ideas or better understanding of this court card.

To aid any volunteers giving me a hand I'm posting the whole spread. Her question was about guidance in confusing (feeling lost) times.

1)Past. The Chariot
2)Present. Fool
3)Hidden influence. 10 of cups
4)Obstacle. Valet of cups
5)Enviroment. KNIGHT OF CUPS
6)Advice. 4 of wands
7)Outcome. Valet of coins.

Thanks.

dancing_moon

I have a little trouble with the Courts myself. :) I'd like to share some ideas, for what they're worth.

Knights, for me, are air rather than fire, and thus Knight of Cups can mean news/thoughts/intellectualizing etc. of emotions. As the environment card, it can actually mean you, BSwett. :D As you're helping this person to verbalize/get some guidance in the time when she's feeling confused.

Hope this helps. :)

Sulis

Hi BSwett,

Since you've included the whole thread could you please also include your interpretation?

Thanks.

Sulis - moderator

Sulis

Knights

For me, it helps to clarify the courts if I think of them as stages of maturity so the knights are more mature than pages but not as mature as queens or kings.. They have a masculine energy (outgoing, questing, change) whereas pages have a more feminine energy (receptive, inward looking etc).
So after saying all that, knights have similar qualities to their kings but they haven't mastered them or learned to fully control them yet.

As far as maturity goes,I like to think of knights as roughly equal to teenagers or young adults and elementally I think of them as fire (action) so they are fire of xxx (whatever their element is).. They often act before they think things through.

The Knight of Cups is Fire of Water and yes, there's a clash there. Think of watery type of teenage personality.. They haven't yet got their emotions under control as the queens and kings have so maybe they are moody one minute, happy the next (I have my very own Page / Knight of Cups at home ;)). They have mood swings and they are lead by their emotions - they follow their hearts and that cup. They are romantic, dreamers, poets, song writers, artists, creative people and like creative people often are, they are sometimes emotionally unstable.
And also like a lot of creative (and Cups people) they sometimes are drawn to taking substances that expand the mind and so are prone to the problems that go along with that sort of personality.

Elementally I don't use the Golden Dawn system for the courts, I use:
Pages / Valets - Air, beginnings, thought
Knights - Fire, action, change
Queens - Water, deep understanding, emotions, inward looking
Kings - Earth, manifesting in the real world, being grounded, practicality, maturity, outward looking

I don't know where these elemental correspondences come from but I use the same ones in spell-work and they work for me..

BSwett

Check it out... I guess there are various opinions on what elements to assign to the different courts! I can see both of you ladies approaches, but I kind of prefer to think of the King as less fiery, since he has matured and that initial flame has calmed down.... But cool to see the alternative perspectives! And Dancing Moon, interesting to think of the Knight as myself! I like that (even though i would have a hard time saying that to the seeker infront of me...

Here's a transcription of my reading to her:

Horseshoe spread with the Tarot de Besançon.

1)Past- Chariot
2)Present- The Fool
3)What is hidden- 10 of Cups
4)Obstacle/Challenge- Valet of cups
5)Surroundings- Knight of cups
6)Advice- 4 of Wands
7)Outcome- Valet of coin

For starters, looking back at all the cards, two things jump out at me. First is the amount of cups in the spread. Probably hinting to the fact that we are mainly focusing on the heart and the emotional world. Second, I get a real sense of these three characters on the right looking at and coming towards The fool. All of them holding something n their hands, ready to help and assist him. As if the universe is conspiring to benefit this vulnerable person. This to me says that sometimes we need to be reminded that we create a network of people to support us, just like we would do for them. We need to unlock the doors to let them come in.

1) The Chariot here is showing a power struggle and opposing forces moving the car forward in not the most efficient way. Thanks to the drivers strong will and mental power, the contradictions have been held under control… but
2) The excessive efforts to maintain balance in the past have worn out the Fool who in now in search of a higher sign, path or message. I am drawn at the way he looks straight at the Knight of cups in the external influences position…. As if hoping for his environment to provide a cup-full of ‘something’; be it creativity, inspiration, a message or love (A knight in shinning armor)
3) In the position of ‘what’s hidden’ (which could be viewed as both the overlooked aspects, or what lies ahead -the future-) is the 10 of cups. I see it as an open door for a new chapter in love or an emotional restart either coming up or very close by yet undiscovered. This might be what the-
4) Page of cups is expressing in the obstacle position! Perhaps his shy approach and timid way of covering his cup (heart) is preventing the light of the 10 of cups from shinning in.
5) The knight of cups in the environment (external influences) could refer to a particular person that is offering something. He appears to be looking at the ten of cups. Maybe he holds the key? It can also signify a moving environment, where the heart is unstable and transitory.
6) The Four of wands seems to advice some organized action or adventure -venture. Building something solid, moving forward in a focused realistic way. This is the card of structured fire and passion. It can burn and give off heat for a long time!
7) For the outcome we see the Valet of coins who has a particular talent for manifesting his visions. He is focused, determined and always ready to learn. He stands in very fertile ground with confidence and healthy curiosity. He has a realistic aim (the way he looks at his coin) yet inspired imagination (the way the second coin hovers over the growing fields!). Sounds very nice, doesn’t it?

She game me super positive feedback. There were a few tears and as always, I was very very thankful to be allowed to enter her soul with the cards. I truly believe that there lies the magic of the Tarot: The way it opens a window in a persons ego mask and allows both the querent and the reader to reach in and pull out some answers and clarity.