Tendril: Their Will Be Dreams

Ryan

+O+ Hello - I'm the creator of the Naos Deck Sinister Tarot mentioned elsewhere on the site. One of my only regrets about the deck was my lack of skill in drawing the human form to deliver what I envisioned in my head but could not portray on paper. My friends and I are collaborating on a new Sinister Tarot to be ready maybe by the end of the year.

I have begun teaching myself to draw the human form and am confident that I will be able to learn the necessary skills to create a new Tarot pushing my esoteric understanding and artistic skill to the maximum in partnership with my friends. I will post some occasional images of our cards as we go.

For now, I've attached two of the crude looking faces of the Naos Deck. And recent drawings of mine of the human face following a week of learning how to draw from a manual I downloaded online on drawing portraits. Slowly I am beginning to understand the form of each feature and tie them all together - I am also studying the human form.

Should be an exciting project :)

ISS,
RA

Attachments

• pent4.jpg
    pent4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 465
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 379
  • sketch 1 001.jpg
    sketch 1 001.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 364

SixDegrees

My goodness, I wish I could draw that well after only a week of practice! Good luck on your new project! :)

Alta

That is quite a step forward Ryan!

Bhavana

Your drawing is really not that bad!! I think there are people born with artistic talent, and that it certainly makes a difference - however, drawing is also a technical skill, and can be improved upon with work/practice.

Besides, when it comes to tarot, I can think of a lot of decks where the art is not "technically"
perfect....it doesn't have to be....yet it is still effective and awesome to look at. Our visions are so individual. I can draw a human body perfectly, but where is the excitement and creativity in that? I draw what I see - but I envy those who have their own vision, people who draw from the inside. Improve on your skills, it can never hurt, but try to keep some of the style you have, because it really is interesting, and it is part of you and your vision as an artist.

Ryan

Drawing

Your drawing is really not that bad!! I think there are people born with artistic talent, and that it certainly makes a difference - however, drawing is also a technical skill, and can be improved upon with work/practice.

+O+ Thank you. I have an advantage in already being able to draw, so my improvement is based on just understanding how the human face goes together and being able to replicate it. One of the most interesting and useful things that website stated was that faces are not symbols and that we need to abandon that way of seeing them - and owing to my method of perception in forms, symbols, structures it was helpful to loosen the strictures of my thinking about the human face. But my way of drawing was servicable too when I drew the Naos Deck - regardless of the depictions as you say, these in themselves being only asethetics - I have seen many many decks with beautiful aesthetics but felt no energy from them, no passion or meaning.
But there are forces, forms, esoteric energies and secrets that I feel can only be shared and correctly portrayed with a mastery of the face and posture of the body - to pass on the intensity and transmission of them to the beholder of the images. In some cases, despite being a writer, the best way and only way to unlock things in people, is through the emotions not the intellect. And I feel it important that I understand the human body to 'presence' what I'm trying to say. +O+

Besides, when it comes to tarot, I can think of a lot of decks where the art is not "technically"
perfect....it doesn't have to be....yet it is still effective and awesome to look at. Our visions are so individual. I can draw a human body perfectly, but where is the excitement and creativity in that? I draw what I see - but I envy those who have their own vision, people who draw from the inside. Improve on your skills, it can never hurt, but try to keep some of the style you have, because it really is interesting, and it is part of you and your vision as an artist.

+O+ A friend has said the same thing to me - I guess we will just have to wait and see how improving my skills affects my artwork or if it does at all... I do not in fact think I have a style - as much as I have a desire to say something through hundreds of different styles - some of which can't be related back to my creation, Ryan Anschauung. Looking back through my work from when I was a boy to now it has changed and changed and changed so much with all manner of experimental phases - just like life and life's journey changes, matures, learns lessons, fine tunes or grasps an archetypal energy or force as one's own and knows the Self - and gains insight into how things really are as opposed to how they seem to be - and in that regard, I am willing to step off the ledge once more and risk losing my style to presence something deeper. Thanks for your comments and support. +O+

ISS,
RA

Attachments

• CHANGE VII.jpg
    CHANGE VII.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 190
  • 13 mr beamishes store C64 pic.jpg
    13 mr beamishes store C64 pic.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 18 tattoo design lil grim reapers.jpg
    18 tattoo design lil grim reapers.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 193

Ryan

Drawing

+O+ If I may - and I'll remove them if they use too much bandwidth or compromise rules - here are a very few of the hundreds of images I have drawn as me, not in the narrow stream of Sinister imagery most know from Ryan Anschauung - himself a life-like portrait so real many mistake him for the man behind him. I was not trying to being facetious when I said I had no style. I have and will use any method necessary to express myself even if I have to create new ones and I think that will show in this new tarot. +O+

Attachments

• 15 ae.jpg
    15 ae.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 32 ae.jpg
    32 ae.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 33 ae.jpg
    33 ae.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 57 ae.jpg
    57 ae.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 113 ae.jpg
    113 ae.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 162

Ryan

Drawing

+O+ These are only a very few of the pieces I have scanned, many are not - this is Nox, a large painting of mine and how I first envisioned Archetypia but later changed my mind.
The story behind my resistance to draw human faces is rather a sad tale not to be related here - but perhaps this attempt mid-life is an essential healing process in exacto, a long time coming... internal processes expressing themselves externally and painting light on a canvas of a decade of darkness, a human recognition love and feeling and closeness to humanity that was previously in danger of going another way.

Whatever I draw, you can be sure my spirit will be imbued in it. More than that, I will be joined by others whose spirits burn just as brightly... +O+

Attachments

• Nox.jpg
    Nox.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 104 ae.jpg
    104 ae.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 61 ae.jpg
    61 ae.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 32 ae.jpg
    32 ae.jpg