Javanese Folktales Tarot (in progress)

Maygreen

For my Final Project in university I choose this title. I kinda fear not everyone know about Javanese Folktales but I really think it's interesting to take this culture into Tarot imageries. Whimsical Tarot kinda inspired me for this but I don't take children as my market target. With this limited time (around May's 1st week) I choose to make major arcanas only.

So far I only finished one card, I still have to ask my professor more about my drawing style and many things about these project. I hope he's fine with my illustration style or I have to start over again. T___T And there still 21 more cards, the booklet, packaging, etc. I hope I could make it in time. --;

theworld.jpg

I choose "Gunungan" or "Kayon" for The World. It's a very famous wayang instrument that represent "Kalpataru" or the tree of life and kinda simbolyze the universe. I really appreciate your critics and comment about my project.
Thank you very much.

Sidhe-Ra

Wow! That's very impressive! An excellent representation of The World. You've clearly put some thought into this, and your style is lovely!

Blessings,

Em x

Alta

That is unusual and very striking. I must admit it is rather daunting to finish even the Majors in such a short period. Maybe you could ask if you could do just a representative selection of cards.

Cerulean

Very beautiful.

Thanks for posting.

I loved the topic and choice.

Cerulean

blue_fusion

wow! very nice. i'm from the philippines and we share some common folktale themes and even mythological creatures, so this is something i'd have an affinity with. :) the style itself is really beautiful. :)

Maygreen

Thank you very much. I actually enjoy making this project, although the time limit kinda make me stressed out. ^^;
Today my prof were sick and I can't asked them about the style --;. But if I didn't go on I wouldn't make it in time so I decided to just do the next one.
*The Fool - High Priestess in progress*

I must admit it is rather daunting to finish even the Majors in such a short period. Maybe you could ask if you could do just a representative selection of cards.

I wish... but I couldn't --;. It'll leave bad record. I have to make it as best as I can . \>,</ Thanks for the concern.

wow! very nice. i'm from the philippines and we share some common folktale themes and even mythological creatures, so this is something i'd have an affinity with.

Thank you ^^, I wish I could know more about Philipphines folklore. Indonesia itself has really many many many folklore which is why I kinda specialized it into Javanese only where many of the folklore should be quite famous (at least in Java itself). ^^;

PeterS

Great Start!

I just wanted to let you know that you are off to a great start. The World card is simply beautiful and I would love to see more. I understand the stress of school. Do what you can but I would encourage you to take the time that it will take to make a great deck.

I love decks that direct me to stretch my understanding of the world. I love a deck that force me to look beyond my western cultural assumptions. Honestly you will be doing the world a favor by producing a quality deck with a honest eastern point of view.

Peter

Maygreen

The Magician

PeterS : Thank you very much. I'm very honored that you like it. ^^
Currently I'm working The Empress - Hieropant.

Here's my Magician. I choose "Joko Kendil" for the theme. He's a deformed human who always have optimistic nature and bravery to marry a princess although he's ugly and not even a noble. ^^;; After the marriage he can change into normal handsome human but still can return into his deformed form. Well, whatever he likes. ^^;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Maygreen/themagician.jpg

I change the layout so I could put 2 lines for the card names. I also change the font since many of my friends kinda complain about it ^^;;. I hope it'll be more Javanese.

Papageno

these are quite lovely. are you planning on getting them published?

Maygreen

I actually think about it but I don't know how or what steps to publish it. I also only make major arcanas so I don't know if it'll be acceptable to be published or not. ^^;;