Javanese Folktales Tarot (in progress)

PeterS

Wayang Playing Cards

MayGreen,

The deck I have unfortunetly is a playing card deck. It has pictured on the court cards and they are pictured with different characters and the Jokers are also two more different characters.

The deck I think is published by Toelen, which is the only name I found on the box or the LWB that seems to imply the publisher.

I hope you had a good meeting with your professor.

PeterS

Maygreen

At lasst~

The deck I think is published by Toelen

Aa, yes. That one was created by one of my professor. I also had the Java and Bali version of that card ^^.

Btw I've finally complete it!!! \^o^/
Well, at least for now, some of the cards will be revised or replaced by new illustrations since didn't satisfied my prof and didn't satisfied me either. ^^;

The Fool - The Empress
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Maygreen/00-04.jpg
*The Fool will be revised

The Emperor - The Chariot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Maygreen/05-08.jpg
*The Emperor will be revised

Strength - Justice
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Maygreen/09-12.jpg
*Strength will be revised and I'm also still not sure about Justice

The Hanged Man - The Tower
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Maygreen/13-16.jpg
*I'm quite satisfied with this row so I hope I won't be revised ^^;;

The Star - The World
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Maygreen/17-21.jpg
*Still not sure with The World since many of my friends kinda complained about it. ^^;

Still lots to do. If anyone have comment or critics I'll gladly accept it. Thank you very much for the support until now.

Bat Chicken

These are truly amazing! I hope you will have time to share the stories with us at some point...... I know I would be interested in a deck like this.....

Maygreen

Thank you very much Bat. I'd love to share it but it's quite complicated ^^;. I'll put the legend for each card, perhaps sometimes I'll put it on my websites.

But I'll put the name and legends title for each card.

The Fool - Joko Bodho
The Magician - Joko Kendil
The High Priestess - Rara Anteng (Legend of Tengger Clan)
The Empress - Dayang Sumbi (Legend of Tangkuban Perahu)
The Emperor - King Sumedanglarang (Tampomas Mountain)
The Hieropant - Ajar Sukaresi (Ciung Wanara)
The Lovers - Ande Ande Lumut & Klenting Kuning <--- Javanese type of Cinderella
The Chariot - Sangkuriang (Legend of Tangkuban Perahu)
Strength - Timun Mas (Golden Cucumber) <--- the protagonist name --;
The Hermit - Ki Ageng Wonoboyo (Baru Kelinting Spear)
The Wheel of Fortune - Purbasari & Lutung Kasarung
Justice - Bawang Merah & Bawang Putih (Red Onion and White Onion) <--- these are character's names. --;;
The Hanged Man - Raden Kusuma (Legend of Kasada Ceremony)
Death - Sanghyang Sri or Goddess Sri (Legend of Rice)
Temperance - Sri Tanjung (Legend of Banyuwangi)
The Devil - Princess Coban Baung (Coban Baung Waterfall)
The Tower - Princess Gilang Rinukmi (Telaga Warna / Colorful Lake)
The Star - Princess Candra Kirana (Keong Mas / Golden Snail)
The Moon - Nawang Wulan (Jaka Tarub and 7 Nymphs)
The Sun - Cindelaras
Judgement - Batara Guru (Shiva in India, but in Javanese Myth he is the ruler of Gods)
The World - Kayon / Gunungan (represent world or universe)

I put Legend of Tangkuban Perahu twice for the tribute as it's the most famous and twisted legend in Javanese. ^^;;;

About Jaka Tarub and 7 Nymphs, it's a story about a man who peeping 7 nymphs when they were bathing in some lake. That man then took one of the 'selendang' (in english maybe it's a shawl) and hide it in his rice barn. After 6 nymps going back to heaven, Nawang Wulan left alone and couldn't find her shawl and she cried in sadness. That man then cheer her and asked her to marry him. After a long time (and after some complex event) Nawang Wulan discover her shawl and leave her husband and son to go back to heaven. This story is very popular in Indonesia.

I found out there are also similar stories like this in Japan and I wonder is there any stories like this in Europe or somewhere else. ^^;

PeterS

Simply amazing!

Maygreen,

I just took a look at the majors and they look amazing. I am definitely interested in purchasing a deck if you find a publisher. What I have seen in the majors makes me very interested in seeing the minors done.

You are making amazing progress, I hope that your professors are continuing to give you good advice and praise that you deserve.

Peter

Maygreen

Thank you very much. I've done very fine with my second trial. The last will be awaiting me at August and right now I'm in rush finishing revises and all additional items.

I'm making the booklet now. It's quite challenging to storytelling all of the folklores in English. ^^;;; But I try my best.

HudsonGray

I can't believe you've done all those in such short a time! Wow.

Maygreen

Deadline somehow give me power to work faster. ^^;;

Bat Chicken

These are truly excellent. I am so glad I found this thread! Well done! You must publish.....!:)

Maygreen

Thank you very much. I also looking forward to publish it. ^^