Help...Newbie unable to find the right deck!

hhngkk

I know this sounds dumb, but I am not able to find any deck that suit me the most.

I know the first deck that most people suggest would be Rider-Waite, or some Rider Waite clone. However, for me those are too simple, I found it hard to concentrate on such simple illustration.

So any better suggestion?

gregory

Not stupid, but almost impossible for anyone else to answer ! I don't even know which deck suits me best; that's one of the (many) reasons I don't read yet. BUT - to get some ideas, browse through as many illustrated reviews as you can stomach - like the ones here on aeclectic, or at tarotpassages.com. Or look at all the decks which are fully illustrated on line - you can find huge numbers in the thread here under "tarot decks". Sometimes what is said about the decks may put you off - but ignore that; they are only reviews,and you may disagree. I have lots of decks (don't laugh, everyone !) which I like, but which have had blisteringly bad reviews..... (Hello Kitty, to name but one. I would not recommend it for you though - or for anyone else; feelings about it run high in this forum !) If you like complexity, the Revelations may just appeal to you - but that's only a very personal suggestion for investigation; DON'T take it as the answer to your question. It is just one that happens to be fascinating me at the moment.

You might also like to think about what type of imagery you like and can relate to - animals ? traditional ? multicultural.... the list is endless.

You are going to have a lot of fun looking into this though. Best of luck.

Lillie

What's all this about 'hello kitty'?
In what way do feelings run high?

I have only seen pics, but I thought it was so cute it was almost edible.

My husband, however, associates anything 'hello kitty' with murderers and severed heads!

As to what deck to get...
Well, I was lucky, I fell in love with the 2nd deck I ever bought.
That was the Thoth, and if you want someting from a similar tradition to the RWS, but with more complex pics, get the Thoth.
Some people say that the pips are 'unillustrated'. But they always looked very illustrated to me.

Other than that, I can only echo Gregory, think about what you like, the art style, the theme... all that.

Do you like cats? there are lots of cat decks
Native american stuff? Lots of that
Celtic, dragons, unicorns....
The list is endless.

Good luck finding your deck.
And remember, if the first one you get isn't right, keep looking. You can never have too many decks. (ask Gregory about that!)

jujubee

So true - each person is different! I love Legends Arthurian Tarot best because I love the entire mythology. I don't own the Rennaissance Tarot yet - but that's another one I see myself falling for. I also own the Goddess Tarot- again I am very much into Goddesses in mythology and religion. Just keep looking and if you buy and it doesnt work out - you can always trade or sell them! (Or hold onto them for reference :))

Cerulean

Do you like photos or modern paintings instead of older pictures?

Perhaps a photo-montage or collage deck might assist you.

Knowing an art style that appeals to you is very helpful.

Some people don't relate to old pictures, so perhaps describing what kind of art might appeal to you will be quite helpful.

Best regards,

Cerulean

la-luna

Adding my two cents of wisdom.......and probably they won’t help you at all
because you could be one of the many people (I’m one of those who find there isn’t such thing as the best thin ) only decks that suit certain moods or situations most sometimes you may feels more connection to the Ttoth deck on other moments that may be the golden dawn magickal or even the ‘hello kitty’
The thing is (once again in my opinion you or others may disagree) finding the deck that suits you the best is probably a long journey of discovery sometimes you may find a deck that online may look fantastic and really THE deck for you but once you have it be a disappointment or the contrary a deck that online doesn’t do anything for you may be once in your hand be the best thing you aver had.
The only advice I could give is look as many decks as you can study them and make also for yourself a list of what your deck sound be like that may help you on your search for it

L'Etoile

If you like the basic meanings of the pictures in RWS, but don't like their simplicity, try the Robin Wood. The general meaning are the same, but the pictures are more complex and, I think, more enjoyable.

Cerulean

I saw by your profile you are looking at a Gothic deck

...and a thread that you started looking for dark decks...some people like the decks with Vampires in them.

Some decks with an interesting twists that might be in your liking that aren't vampire, but do have 'darkish' as well as balancing cards:

Secrets Tarot...all images online:

http://www.gambler.ru/sukhty/decks03/d01541/d01541.htm

Tarocchi di Roboti, which has a suit of the Void, which is actually a bit humorous...a creeping painterly wash of dark...so if you like sci-fi:

http://www.wicce.com/robotpix.html

Best regards and good luck on your hunt!

Cerulean

hedgecub

I agree with gregory: there are many tarot websites with scans of some (or even all) of the cards from various decks, and having a browse of these sites is probably the best way to get an idea of which decks appeal to you. Of course, you'll only find out for sure whether or not you like a deck after you've got it in your hands and done some readings with it, but looking around online before hitting the shops will help you narrow it down and save you some money too. :)

Wicce, Tarot Passages, Tarot for Life and The Mystic Eye all have deck reviews accompanied by scans of selected cards. Aeclectic also has scans of just about every deck out there, and you can browse them alphabetically, by deck category, or by deck theme. So if you know you're into, say, ancient Egypt, or Goddess mythology, or black-and-white decks, or whatever, you can head straight for the appropriate category.

This is the thread gregory was talking about; it links to websites with full scans of one or more decks. If you like what you see in a review, but want to see the whole deck before you buy it, it's worth a look in here.

As for suggestions, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Rohrig yet, or the Tarot of Prague, both of which have a lot of symbolism packed into each card. :)

ben bailey

i must agree with all that has posted so far

i agree with everybody so far they are all on point in what they are telling you the perfect deck(the best tarot deck)is the one that you are drawn to .my favorite or best deck is different than everyone else's so yours will be different than mine, i suggest you go to your local book store (which i did two days ago)and you look at all of the tarot decks they have and let the deck chose you instead of you choseing it......

blessings to all

ben