Symbol in the Devil's hand

Barleywine

Maybe a palm reader can see something in it. Could be the lines in the palm of our hands.

I have a couple of palmistry books, but most of the palms show lines, triangles and rectangles, not circles. Still, some experienced input is a good idea.

ETA: I just took a look at my own palm, and there are three lines radiating out from the base of the thumb, so you could be onto something here. Maybe it's Waite's veiled poke at his arch-nemesis - Crowley's palm. :laugh:

Abrac

The lines weren't created by anyone who had substantial experience in palmistry, especially Waite. They aren't intended to "mean" anything really, I don't believe; they're symbolic only and represent the idea of fate, or a person's destiny being predetermined and inescapable. This is the evil of fatality of which Levi wrote, and the enslavement which Waite illustrated in the card. It's the mind in a state of surrender to the seeming superiority of fate. The chains about their necks are loose and easily removable.

Barleywine

The lines weren't created by anyone who had substantial experience in palmistry, especially Waite. They aren't intended to "mean" anything really, I don't believe; they're symbolic only and represent the idea of fate, or a person's destiny being predetermined and inescapable. This is the evil of fatality of which Levi wrote, and the enslavement which Waite illustrated in the card. It's the mind in a state of surrender to the seeming superiority of fate. The chains about their necks are loose and easily removable.

I'm not entirely sure of this. My palmistry book by Enid Hoffman has some excellent drawings and descriptions for the various lines.

The curved line at the base of the thumb is the Life Line. "When the right hand life line curves to the base of the thumb" (as here) "the person feels extremes in the physical sense."

The straight line across the middle of the palm is the Head Line. "A horizontal head line shows a strong business acumen." Since it isn't connected to the Life Line, there is no indication of extreme caution or defensiveness.

The four lines radiating out from the Life Line and intersecting the Head Line are Ambition Lines. "They are strong, straight lines which indicate the presence of ambition in whatever direction they point to. This implies that the energy of the life line is funneled into a particular goal and helps ensure success in that area."

The vertical line crossing the end of the Head Line is the Apollo (Sun) Line (which always points to the third finger, as here), indicating success later in life. "If the head line is deep and straight, and the Apollo line is strong, success in the material world is likely."

This all sounds like a summary of the Mars and Saturn energies of the Devil. I would love to hear from an experienced palmist on this, since I could be misinterpreting some of it.

Abrac

Waite didn't have many kind things to say about palmistry. From The Occult Sciences, 1891:

"Could anything be more futile than chiromancy and card prognostication, it is probably the zodiacal astrology which has been just described, and which limits the varieties of human destiny, disposition, and physical appearance to twelve kinds."​

His attitude doesn't change over time, if anything he has less use for such things. In The Secret Doctrine in Israel, 1913, he comments on its material on chiromancy and physiognomy:

"I need some indulgence for bringing in these details, and I will forbear from dwelling on chiromancy, except to say that the lines of the hand are believed to shew forth great mysteries, including those of the fingers. On the contrary I might not be forgiven by the few who know if I omitted to certify that a man with two great hairs between the shoulders is one who swears without ceasing and to no purpose. The presence of three such hairs is the sign of a happy nature. To make an end of these fantasies, he who has been guilty of adultery and has not done penance is identifiable by an excrescence with two hairs, below the navel. If he repents, the swellings will remain but the hairs will fail off.

"Hereof is the Zohar when it makes an excursion into by-ways beyond its province, and it is likely enough that those who take palmistry and physiognomy seriously will regard the indications as worthless, even from their standpoint. It is none of my own concern."​

It seems unlikely he would've used something he knew very little about, and cared even less, to send a message that only a few chiromancers would understand. The more likely scenario it seems to me is one in which the chiromantic image is symbolic and matches Waite's description.

Barleywine

Waite didn't have many kind things to say about palmistry. From The Occult Sciences, 1891:

"Could anything be more futile than chiromancy and card prognostication, it is probably the zodiacal astrology which has been just described, and which limits the varieties of human destiny, disposition, and physical appearance to twelve kinds."​

His attitude doesn't change over time, if anything he has less use for such things. In The Secret Doctrine in Israel, 1913, he comments on its material on chiromancy and physiognomy:

"I need some indulgence for bringing in these details, and I will forbear from dwelling on chiromancy, except to say that the lines of the hand are believed to shew forth great mysteries, including those of the fingers. On the contrary I might not be forgiven by the few who know if I omitted to certify that a man with two great hairs between the shoulders is one who swears without ceasing and to no purpose. The presence of three such hairs is the sign of a happy nature. To make an end of these fantasies, he who has been guilty of adultery and has not done penance is identifiable by an excrescence with two hairs, below the navel. If he repents, the swellings will remain but the hairs will fail off.

"Hereof is the Zohar when it makes an excursion into by-ways beyond its province, and it is likely enough that those who take palmistry and physiognomy seriously will regard the indications as worthless, even from their standpoint. It is none of my own concern."​

It seems unlikely he would've used something he knew very little about, and cared even less, to send a hidden message. The more likely scenario it seems to me is one in which the chiromantic image is symbolic and matches Waite's description.

Well, that's pretty clear! Maybe it was Pixie's contribution, since I've long suspected she and Waite weren't completely on the same page regarding the imagery the way Crowley and Harris were. It's most obvious when comparing some of the minor card images to Waite's interpretations, but who knows? Regardless, the lines do seem to make some sense, even if unintended by Waite.

Abrac

If it was Pamela's contribution I could accept that if there was anything besides speculation to support it.

Barleywine

If it was Pamela's contribution I could accept that if there was anything besides speculation to support it.

OK, we can leave it there. I was looking at Snuffin's discussion of Levi's Baphomet illustration. The hands in the picture don't suggest anything, since the upraised right hand is closed and the lowered left hand doesn't appear to have anything on it. There is also nothing relevant in the text, either Snuffin's or the quotes from Levi. Your source seems to be more revealing. Now I'm curious enough to keep on looking. It can't have completely escaped notice for all these years, although any input other than that of the decks' creators is bound to be more speculation.

Abrac

Looking for straight answers from Waite isn't always a simple task. Even when you have lots of evidence its oftentimes circumstantial. So you can make educated guesses but in the end they're still guesses. If you familiarize yourself with enough of Waite's writing there are common threads that start to emerge and you can get insight into what made him tick. A lot about the RWS has gone unnoticed all these years; or if it has been noticed the conclusions turn out to be pretty unsatisfying. It was out of frustration I finally turned to Waite himself and things have slowly started making sense.

Abrac

I beginning to find places where Waite contrasts Providence and fatality. Two of the most clear ones are in his comments on the Wheel of Fortune and Justice. From the Wheel of Fortune:

"The transliteration of Taro as Rota is inscribed on the wheel, counterchanged with the letters of the Divine Name—to shew that Providence is implied through all. But this is the Divine intention within, and the similar intention without is exemplified by the four Living Creatures."​

and

"Behind the general notion expressed in the symbol there lies the denial of chance and the fatality which is implied therein."​

And from Justice:

"It will be seen, however, that the figure is seated between pillars, like the High Priestess, and on this account it seems desirable to indicate that the moral principle which deals unto every man according to his works—while, of course, it is in strict analogy with higher things—differs in its essence from the spiritual justice which is involved in the idea of election. The latter belongs to a mysterious order of Providence, in virtue of which it is possible for certain men to conceive the idea of dedication to the highest things."​

With Providence there is the idea of "Divine intention" at work outside the purely material law of cause and effect.

The message of the Lovers is one of Providence:

". . .but she is rather the working of a Secret Law of Providence than a willing and conscious temptress."​

While that of the Devil is fatality:

"Hereof is the chain and fatality of the material life."​

Abrac

I ran across this in Waite's Manual of Cartomancy and Occult Divination, 1889, written under the name Grand Orient; this section is entitled "Ruling by the Law of Grace." I've posted it before but it seems especially relevant here. He talks of entering another sphere of existence through the exercise of will, a sphere where the "good and evil" forces of fate have no influence upon the person. It's interesting that he includes the good forces; his reasoning is that living in a state of grace is better than the best of outcomes fate has to offer. Here it's worth mentioning that in the PKT's section "The Greater Arcana and their Divinatory Meanings," one of the meanings for the Devil says, "That which is predestined but is not for this reason evil." From this it would seem Waite viewed the Devil as fate but that not all fate is necessarily evil; it does keep a person imprisoned to a certain extent though. It makes me think of life under the control of a benevolent dictator. Sometimes benevolent, but still a dictator. :)

"Those who consult the oracles of this Manual will not be aware in most cases that there is any philosophy of the whole subject, and I have hinted already that this is scarcely the place to speak at any length on the serious side of things. That which seems necessary has been said in the introductory part, and in "The Book of the Secret Word" a single illustration has been given of certain high phases which may be assumed by seeming divinatory methods. It is not my proposal now to rescind the unofficial covenant into which it may be held that I have entered; but because we have been dealing with questions of fatality and omen, and have still some words to say on the observation of times and seasons, it seems desirable to express with simplicity one law which has always been recognized by the wise as governing from another sphere the common laws of destiny. It has been usually put forward in the past as the art of ruling the stars [fate] by the Law of Grace, and if the imputed operation were restricted to astrological influence, there would be no call to speak of it, as this is not a handbook of astrology. It obtains, however, in all questions of doom, fortune and presages. I should add further that it is the more proper to our purpose because in collecting these lesser curiosities and trivialities of the old occult sciences, I am offering them for what they are worth and in no sense enlisting belief in regard to them at this day. Those therefore who, on any prior considerations, or by some predisposition of the mind, may give credit already to such arts, can and should fitly be cautioned that there is another side of the whole matter from which it is well to approach it.

This arises from the theological consideration that man by his material constitution and external environment is normally under the law of Nature, which may not be incorrectly described as one of imperfection and fatality, but that it depends upon his own will whether he shall pass under the ruling of the higher Law of Grace, whereby he is so assisted that he can overcome the operation of Nature on the moral and personal side within him, and so earn a title to the eternal Kingdom. It is obvious that he cannot control the forces of the physical universe and the rising or the setting of the stars, but he can soar above the sphere of natural temptation and thus of the fatalities which it exercises.

Now, therefore, the art of ruling the stars by the Law of Grace does not result from any formal process of prayers or invocation, by which their evil influences can be arbitrarily averted or their benignant effects drawn down in the particular direction of the operator. It depends rather, and indeed wholly, upon the soul’s entrance into another sphere, where they cannot operate, either for evil or good. But if it be suggested to any mind that after this manner the happy celestial influences may be perchance missed, the answer is that they have been exchanged already for that which is better infinitely, since no one will affirm that it is not preferable to live under the Law of Grace than any lower law which governs—occultly or overtly—the starry heavens, the times, the tides, the days and all the dubious region of blind and automatic influences. It follows in this way that the lesser can be exchanged for the greater good, and when this has been accomplished there will never be any cause to repent of such a transfer. If it be, asked whether the malefic work of the stars and the other fatal forces is cancelled entirely for those who dwell in the world of Grace, I believe this to be true—largely on the hypothesis that such fatalities exist; but I am quite certain that should the Querent follow this high counsel, till he comes where material misfortunes cannot signify, it is reasonable to think that what has become void of import has been reduced to a thing of no effect.

It is understood that the influence of the stars can only be exercised on man by a certain similitude or analogy which subsists between them and him. Hence it has been said by some theologians of the occult school that the heavens are truly within man and the stars thereof. It behoves a man who realizes this truth to change his own aspects, and, so acting, he shall have no reason to fear what can be done to him by the world without. It is further well known, and has been experienced by many, that the whole creation moves in order and harmony along the path of those who by reason of their clean heart and unfailing inward fire do proceed daily in the mystery of the love of God. To sum up therefore, those who by the Law of the Spirit overrule the concupiscence and the appetites of the natural man, confessing only to a Divine motive, do cancel the correspondence which exists between the stars and the course of our life; and it is in this sense—as an old writer has told us—that by operating upon the stars which are within us it can be said mystically, and for the attainment of our proper term, that we can rule all the others. When a man sets his face towards Jerusalem the offices of all the world are rendered subservient to his purpose and become his helps thereto. The Sun of Justice rises over his soul; the stars in the heaven within him utter counsel to one another."​