The negative side of Aces?

Nao

In most books that I've read and most sites that I've visited...Aces are almost always described as great cards of new beginnings, etc. What I'm curious here is...do you guys mostly read it as a positive card? Or have you come across an Ace where it's clearly resonating a negative meaning in a particular case? If so...what/how is it? I'm not talking about reversed cards here...I'm talking more just about Aces in general.

I know some people who read Ace of Swords as a bad card...where they say it's the beginning of hard times or conflicts, etc. What are your takes on that? Are there different levels of positive and negative in each of the Aces according to how you read them?

Another thing I've been wondering about....is receiving the Ace cards in positions that heeds advice or positions that are "negative"....how do you read those cards? I actually did a reading recently where the negative crossing card is Ace of Swords, the positive crossing card is Ace of Pentacles, and what is hidden that needs attention is Ace of Wands. An extra clarification card on the current situation later pops out as Ace of Cups. That was quite an overwhelming amount of Aces that popped up in all positions. In this case, then...how do you read the positive crossing of it, the negative crossing of it, etc?

Thirteen

Nao said:
have you come across an Ace where it's clearly resonating a negative meaning in a particular case?

All cards have a negative and positive side. But most times, I see Aces as neutral. To me, they're the spark, neither good nor bad. Depending on how they're focused, what tinder you light with that spark, you'll either have a fire in which to forge your future--or burn down the house. But right now it's too early to tell. It also depends, of course, on where the card appears--and who you're reading for. Ace of Sword may mean new ideas, the brain turning on--or a signal that new trouble is forming. Ace Wands may mean new energy well or poorly spent. Ace Cups may mean new love or a new addiction. Ace Pentacles new Luck and money--or new finance woes.

is receiving the Ace cards in positions that heeds advice or positions that are "negative"....how do you read those cards?

Why would the card in only THIS position be negative? No, of course not. It's negative or positive according to the rest of the reading. The advice is usually simple--time to start afresh. Ace Wands, find new passion, Ace Cups, find new love, see?

I actually did a reading recently where the negative crossing card is Ace of Swords, the positive crossing card is Ace of Pentacles, and what is hidden that needs attention is Ace of Wands. An extra clarification card on the current situation later pops out as Ace of Cups.

New troubles can be blocked by new luck and money coming the person's way. The person needs to attend to what they've just begun to put their energy into, and the current situation could involve a new romance--or a new addiction (depending on what the other cards indicate and the person).

And yes, this is a lot of Aces, and you should certainly pay attention to that. It indicates that the person is in a state where they have fresh feelings, thoughts, and new things coming into their life, but no real direction yet, no real focus for the new energy or emotions. As their reader, you would best advise them to try and make up their minds, to decide what they want to focus on, where they want to put their hearts.

The energy of an ace can be directed and used to create something, can vanish, if not directed--or can grab the person and take them in a direction they don't want to go (as with swords and troubles). Best if the querent decides what fire the spark will light.

Astraea

Thirteen, what a wonderful answer to these vexing questions! I, too, see the aces as sparks, germs -- in fact, I often find it helpful to think of them in terms of fetuses in the womb. Many factors affect the development of the new life, some of them environmental, some genetic, and some that are completely open to choice; decisions we make can potentially modify environmental and genetic factors, even those that might seem to be fixed. For example, there could be an innate tendency toward the development of a problem, but with wise choices about food, exercise and thought patterns, the mother (or the querent) can support positive outcomes. And even if the developing life should demonstrate particular problems (related to the Ace's suit), the approach and attitude one takes toward them can make all the difference between inexplicable suffering, and enduring growth.

ihcoyc

You absolutely have to watch out for that hand from Heaven. Who knows what it's going to dump on you?

I tend to view Aces as eruptions, which may not be a good thing. Surprises. . . I hate surprises.

Especially that Ace of Wands. The Ace of Swords is noble and lofty and wreathed and crowned. But when that Ace of Wands shows up, you're going to end up getting hit with the ugly stick. You can tell from the look of that thing that this ain't going to be civil.

DarkElectric

It sounds to me as if the person who's reading "Holds all the Aces" is in a phase in their life where they are really doing the new beginnings/end of old cycles thing in a major way.

The Ace /Swords as a problematic crossing card coupled with the Ace/Pents as a beneficial one could indicate the condition of potential growth in the material department, but being limited by the influence of beginnings of worries, fears and doubts.

Area needing attention being Ace/Wands would indicate to me that instead of beginning to worry, the person might want to be aware that new fresh energy was coming in, and the potential for new happiness was also in the neighborhood. Therefore, they might want to concentrate on directing that energy in useful directions, to strengthen Ace/Pents energy so Ace /Cups energy can also become stronger.

And, I totally agree with Thirteen on Aces being more neutral in nature.

To me Aces are really nebulous. They're sort of like overhearing about some opportunity while standing at a bus stop, then deciding whether or not to act on that information.
The energy is around, it's available, but can disappear like mist, because it's nearly in the realm of suggestion. To me Ace energies are not as solid in their development as, perhaps, a page/princess would be.

krysia322

Nao said:
What I'm curious here is...do you guys mostly read it as a positive card? Or have you come across an Ace where it's clearly resonating a negative meaning in a particular case? If so...what/how is it? I'm not talking about reversed cards here...I'm talking more just about Aces in general.

I know some people who read Ace of Swords as a bad card...where they say it's the beginning of hard times or conflicts, etc. What are your takes on that? Are there different levels of positive and negative in each of the Aces according to how you read them?

Another thing I've been wondering about....is receiving the Ace cards in positions that heeds advice or positions that are "negative"....how do you read those cards?

Aces, to me, represent instigation, initiation, and catalyst. As for positive versus negative... Whenever the Ace of Cups and/or the Ace of Wands shows up in a spread, instantly, I feel much better about the question, the situation, and its outcome. To me, the AofC and the AofW are both extremely positive cards. The Ace of Pentacles is also a positive card, but IMO, the AofP is more about financial/career-based concerns than personal-emotional, and since I always am more interested about the personal/emotional side of things, the AofP gets less of a thrilled reception from me than its C and W counterparts. That's not to say I'm not happy when it appears -- AofP is a positive card, IMO; I just don't relate to it as well as to the AofC and AofW.

However, if there is a negative Ace... IMO, it is the Ace of Swords. To me, there's always too much force behind this card, that it has the potential to overshadow/sweep out/cast doubt on its surrounding "positive" cards in a spread. When I see this card in a spread, I think that it's a warning to pull-back, to go easy, and to use less force. Whereas the AofW tells me that using force at this time would be a good thing (AofW doesn't overdo it like AofS).

To me, all of the Aces are "a start of something big". Be it positive or negative (that has more to do with the surrounding cards). But AofS is less positive than not.
JMNHO. ;)

HudsonGray

Another way of reading Aces in a negative position is that the enrgies there may be strong, but not directed. They may be dispersed too much to use, basically something started but will peter out if left alone. New beginnings that don't go anywhere. Too much energy built up to affectively grasp and do something with. Or no interest in using them even if they are there ready to go.

Could be false starts, too.

Alex

Ace of Wands

I'm quoting Osho here, not literally but close: "Either you make your energy creative, or it will turn sour and become destructive. Energy is a dangerous thing--if you have it, you have to use it creatively. So find something--whatsoever you like--to put your energy into. Something in which you can become completely lost. If you can be lost playing a guitar--good! In those moments when you are lost, your energy will be released in a creative way. If you cannot be lost in painting, in singing, in dancing, in playing guitar or a flute, then you will find lower ways of being lost: anger, rage, aggression; these are lower ways to be lost."

It could also indicate "libido" what in a very broad sense, is life energy, and opposes Thanatos, the drive towards death. Freud could write a treatease on the consequences of "repressing" or mishandling the A-Wands_ if he'd known about the Tarot.

Alex.

MeeWah

Nao & All: Have occasionally seen an Ace in a lesser fashion, though not necessarily reversed. Any of the Aces can indicate a delay or blockage; ignorance; abuse or improper use of a particular energy.

The following are examples from how I have had occasion to read them. None of them were actually reversed.

Ace-Wands could denote lack of enthusiasm or motivation; lack of commitment; selfishness; lying.

Ace-Cups: negative attitude (towards love); inability to accept love or affection, to reach out to another; not open to love; selfishness; looking for love in all the wrong places.

Ace-Swords: narrow-mindedness; impaired mentality or thinking; issues with self identity; combative or argumentative; a deadend; slander or gossip; lack of information or knowledge.

Ace-Pentacles: a loss, such as loss of a job or security; an unexpected bill; an illness, etc.

For one client, an upright Ace-Swords in part of her reading warned of violence against her person & theft. I saw a man I thought was her husband. Told her to remove herself, her children & her valuables until such time she could be assured of personal safety & security. After she went home, she discovered her estranged husband had broken into their home & stolen from her things. He was still there & was verbally & physically abusive.

pualani

ihcoyc said:
But when that Ace of Wands shows up, you're going to end up getting hit with the ugly stick. You can tell from the look of that thing that this ain't going to be civil.

Oh my goodness. I got such a good chuckle out of these lines. I hope my view of the ace is not forever altered... I always think that I am going to get it good that night when the ace of wands shows up, but I hardly think of those sticks as ugly - ha! I also think of those nice big burst of energy that make you rearrange your house, or jump into a cool new project...I will have to see if it comes up relating to conflict now...hmmmmmmm.