The Wild Unknown Tarot - Son of Pentacles

Sulis

Against a dark background, which fades to white at the bottom of the card we see the head of a young, male deer.. He has antlers but they aren't very big yet. He looks serious and his head is bowed. Above him in the sky is a golden crescent moon cradling a pentacle, the suit symbol.

Sons in this deck correspond to Knights in decks with more traditional imagery so they're about questing, searching, change and movement.
I think of the Court Cards as showing levels of maturity so Knights / Sons are more mature than Pages / Daughters but not as mature as Queens / Mothers or Kings / Fathers. I think of Sons in this deck as having a teenage type of mentality and level of maturity... They've learned some of the lessons that their element has to give but their elements are by no means fully understood or mastered by them yet.

The Pentacle or Earth suit to me is about things that are real and tangible, things that can be manifested so they're about money, security, health, the body, the home etc.

The Knight or Son of Pentacles is someone who knows the value of money and knows that to get what you want you must earn it and work for it and he's not afraid to do that, in fact he's prepared to do that.. He looks as if his head is bowed under the weight of his responsibilities but he's still standing and so is still heading towards his goal.
As far as movement goes, the Earth suit is the slowest moving suit and so is it's knight. The phrase I put with this card is 'slow and steady wins the race'... He's not the most exciting character in the tarot deck but he's dependable.. If he says he'll do something, he will work at it until it is done, no matter how long it takes.. This isn't a flighty knight who quickly loses interest in something like the Wand or Sword Knight does, this guy will plod away at something and he'll get the job done.. The glowing moon in the dark sky makes me think that this knight's goal is still a long way off but he's following it and he'll get there.
This knight is cautious; he doesn't rush into things and he can be stubborn too.
He's a Pentacle court so he's good at all things practical, he's good with his hands and he's good at making and fixing things.. He's more likely to be a plumber, a carpenter or some sort of craftsman than an intellectual but he's a very useful person to have around.

Attachments

• Son of Pentacles.jpg
    Son of Pentacles.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,985

Pixna

Beautiful, beautiful and thorough interpretation, Sulis. Thank you!

A couple of things stand out for me in this particular card. The waning crescent moon cradling the pentacle (that was so poetically put, Sulis!) tells me that the Son's full abilities haven't yet come to light and are still "in process" or being nurtured.

The backdrop of this card goes from dark to light and comes almost to a point, like a downward-facing arrow. The light part at the edges looks a bit like fringe, and the black part looks soft, like velvet. It seems very soft, plush even, and a bit flowing. The downward arrow could be a reminder of the earth element (pointing toward the earth). The moon and the dark background might indicate that the Son's full strengths and skills haven't yet been revealed.

That the Son is facing left makes me wonder about his willingness to be on this journey. That, combined with his serious but sad expression and hanging head, makes me think that he has taken on a lot of responsibility but would rather be a kid again and not have to grow up.

Sulis

Beautiful, beautiful and thorough interpretation, Sulis. Thank you!

A couple of things stand out for me in this particular card. The waning crescent moon cradling the pentacle (that was so poetically put, Sulis!) tells me that the Son's full abilities haven't yet come to light and are still "in process" or being nurtured.
Ooh I love this and thanks for giving the crescent moon some significance.. I knew there would be something but it wasn't coming to me ;).

The backdrop of this card goes from dark to light and comes almost to a point, like a downward-facing arrow. The light part at the edges looks a bit like fringe, and the black part looks soft, like velvet. It seems very soft, plush even, and a bit flowing. The downward arrow could be a reminder of the earth element (pointing toward the earth). The moon and the dark background might indicate that the Son's full strengths and skills haven't yet been revealed.
And this too - wonderful insights...

That the Son is facing left makes me wonder about his willingness to be on this journey. That, combined with his serious but sad expression and hanging head, makes me think that he has taken on a lot of responsibility but would rather be a kid again and not have to grow up.
Yes. He seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders and looking to the left makes me think that he's still looking towards the past to some extent.

Maveriker

I see the crescent not necessarily as the moon, but as an eclipse. The son is the convergence of sun and moon, mother and father. The eclipsed sun hovers between his antlers, masculine organs of defence and attack, and his ears, feminine organs of deep listening and receptivity. This card says to me: go forth with eyes and ears open, but with caution.

It also speaks to me of the threshold between opposites. During an eclipse, the pattern of dusk and dawn is interrupted—dusk/dawn seemingly repeat as the sun and moon align. So it may represent a good time to to let intuition or receptivity take over at a time or situation that would normally require action. Again, it's a pause, a caution. Or perhaps it's a warning to not let melancholy "eclipse" the radiance of the sun.

Pixna

I see the crescent not necessarily as the moon, but as an eclipse. The son is the convergence of sun and moon, mother and father. The eclipsed sun hovers between his antlers, masculine organs of defence and attack, and his ears, feminine organs of deep listening and receptivity. This card says to me: go forth with eyes and ears open, but with caution.

What a unique and wonderful take on this! I hadn't considered the antlers and ears that way, but it makes perfect sense to me now that you mentioned it. I love your insights about this.

It also speaks to me of the threshold between opposites. During an eclipse, the pattern of dusk and dawn is interrupted—dusk/dawn seemingly repeat as the sun and moon align. So it may represent a good time to to let intuition or receptivity take over at a time or situation that would normally require action. Again, it's a pause, a caution. Or perhaps it's a warning to not let melancholy "eclipse" the radiance of the sun.

This Son of Pentacles does indeed look melancholy. I wasn't quite able to get a good handle on that aspect of the card and this helps quite a bit! Thank you for sharing your perspectives!