my death spread

mahimaisme

this is a spread for periods of great change...for revolutions and personal battles and transformations.
2006 is my year of death and i created this spread to help me understand this 'death' better...to see what neds to die and what needs to be born and what i need to help me along the way. it uses 8 major arcana cards as 'focus cards', drawing relevant cards to them with their inherent energy.

they are typically laid out in a circle, to represent the cyclical neture of changes and transformations but you can change that if you like.

here's how it is...i tried it and worked well for me so i'm sharing it incase there's more who would like a similar spread. i hope it helps :)

the 7 cards you will remove from the deck and lay out in a circle are:

1-death
2- fool
3- magician
4- high priestess
5- devil
6- justice
7- world

the last card is the wheel of fortune and it goes in the centre.

now shuffle your dech and focus on each of the cards laid out before you. you will deal your spread now and place one card over each of the majors, in the same order...that is:

1-you place your first card over death: this is the part of you that needs to die/change in order to allow something else to be born.

2- this goes over the fool and this is the card of rebirth...yes, the birth that follows every death. this will tell you what needs to grow and be nurtured.

3- this goes over the magician and tells you what tools you need to carry off this transformation successfully.

4- this goes over the high priestess and will tell you what your inherent strangths are and what you can rely on for stability and balance in this period of turmoil.

5- this goes ovet the devil. this is the temptation card. it tell you what to be careful of and what to control so you don't get carried away into ruining this opportunity for transformation/growth.

6- this goes over justice. this is what you must do in order to be rewarded with positive change. this tells you, also, how you can best deal with your 'devil'.

7- this goes over the world. this is the card of completion. its the eventual direction this change will take you towards.

8 this goes over the wheel and this will tell you fate's role in this transformation. it'll tell you about factors that are eyond your control.

i know this spread sounds a little complecated to read but it really isn't. try it. just lay out your focus cards first, thinking about what they are going to tell you about and focus on them as you draw your own cards to read. these cards will draw out the card they can most connect to.

lemme know how it goes! :)

my reading tells me my transformation is going to start with a change in direction of personal ambitions and end with greater fulfilment and more intimate relationships. :)

mahima.

goddessof1967

What made you choose those 8 major arcana, rather than any of the others?

mahimaisme

my 8 death cycle cards

well..i knew the issues i wanted clarifies through the reading....
what must die
what is the new beginning that will arise from that
what tools do i need
what's my strength in this area
what's my key weakness
how do i deal with them
and finally, where is this change taking me....
and so i picked the cards that best embodies each of these areas to me. and then, i know that in any situation there are always things beyond our control and so i wanted to gain an insight also into what other factors would contribute to either accelerating or hindering this transformation.
to me the death card is a powerful agent of change and its advice and insight is invaluable. so i wanted a spread that used it as its mail focus for my year of death...
would you have picked other cards?
which would you have used?

goddessof1967

No, I was just wondering more so, what the position meanings of each card was. You've just explained it very well. Why did you choose the High Priestess there rather than Strength, considering it is your strengths that you're enquiring about in that position?

I am in a Wheel of Fortune Year going into a Justice year. Got any good spreads for that.............chuckle, chuckle:grin:

mahimaisme

lol

:hello:

well, for me, in this case, the strength i was refering to was mainly inner resources...in terms of trust, intuition, perseverence etc...i always identify better with the high priest and for me, she is the symbol of inner strength and peace.
:)
ooh. i DO have a wheel spread! lol. will post that here later (i'm late for a meeting:)) if it helps! lol.

oh, justice is a card i find little hard to understand fully yet so i'm not too sure about making a spread with that as focus! maybe while you try to understand your justice year, you can help me with a spread and insight into what the card can mean!? :)

mahima.

goddessof1967

Ahhh now I understand why the High Priestess - thankyou.

Yes Justice is difficult for many people to understand. When I get it, a few things I thimk are mental balance, fairness, balancing the situation to achieve a fair outcome for everyone, weighing up pros and cons, then making the final decsion basedon those actions.

I'll be moving into Justice in June/July.

lupenrein

Great spread!
Tarot is sometimes scary to me. I just tried this one, but without removing the cards and I got a very accurate reading.
the last card is the wheel of fortune and it goes in the centre.
< and at this position I drew the wheel of fortune .....