RWS Tarot 101 Ten of Wands

PAMUYA

I continue my journey learning and writing down what the cards say to me…what do they say to you?

Ten of Wands

I see a man overburdened by 10 wands that he is struggling to carry. I see the building and wall in the background, he is also burdened by others expectations of him. He tires from the weight of all this responsibilities, soon he will “burn out” and have nothing more to give. He is leaning forward, if he lets go of the wands now he will drop them in his path and have to pick them up again to continue on his way. He must some how toss the wands behind him so he can continue on.

Direct: Taking on too much responsibility, taking on others responsibilities, feel that your family’s happiness all depends on you, worry wart, dead end job.

Reversed: Letting go of excess responsibility, delegating, relief, releasing old patterns, letting others take care of their own responsibilities.

northsea

Sassyjackal said:
relief, releasing old patterns, .

As tens are cards of transition, it can be seen as clearing away the old or wiping the sleight clean for new projects.

The crowned one

Tens are end results or completion whether good or bad. I have in my journal " WANDS:The energy from the Ace is now used up.Trying to do everything yourself, assuming to to great a responsibility and a (manageable) overburden. I feel this card has been hit hard by new-age definitions for better or for worse as compared to traditional cartomantic idea's.

Building up to Waite,

Picatrix (c.1250's) Ill will,envy,obstinacy and deceitful acts.

Etteilla: treason, swindling, cheating, ruse, toil ,stumbling blocks,conspiracy and imposture.

Mathers is quite different: Confidence and honour.

G.D.: Lord of oppression: Cruel forces, selfishness leading to failure.

Waite: A man oppressed by the weight of the ten staves which he is carrying. Divinatory Meanings: A card of many significances, and some of the readings cannot be harmonized. I set aside that which connects it with honour and good faith. The chief meaning is oppression simply, but it is also fortune, gain, any kind of success, and then it is the oppression of these things. It is also a card of false-seeming, disguise, perfidy. The place which the figure is approaching may suffer from the rods that he carries. Success is stultified if the Nine of Swords follows, and if it is a question of a lawsuit, there will be certain loss. Reversed: Contrarieties, difficulties, intrigues, and their analogies.

rcb30872

Not sharing your burdens, keeping them all to your self. The wands are in effect covering his face, well, in the card, you can't see the face as you see the back of the head. Just use your imagination for a bit ;) someone who is burdened with something, whether that is a deep dark secret, skeleton's in the closet, being in an unfulfilling relationship but not saying anything, just staying there, perhaps. If only he would let others know what his burdens are, then the burdens would be lifted, he doesn't have to do it all himself, but he chooses to do so, anyway.

Summersnowflake

I take an optimistic view of this card, thinking of the burdens that sometimes come with actually getting what we want -- think about the responsibilities of home and family, a job promotion, or your own business suddenly taking off.

But the man has his head buried in the wands and is carrying them so awkwardly!

I think this card is saying, "look up!" Don't get so wrapped up in your responsibilities that you trudge along without looking or thinking about what you're doing.

It's good to have a bundle of wands, stop for a moment and consider how you are handling the good that's come your way.

ofbainbridge

Wands for me have to do with identity, will, drive and ambition so I also take an optimistic view of the 10 of Wands when its upright
Upright: Having worked hard on identity will drive and ambition in some area 10 of wands shows the inheritance of the work...what the seeker has put into themselves the 10 of wands shows they get out of it.
Reversed the card also shows what the person has inherited in the opposite way...