Four of Sword

Freshreader

I've just noticed that there's a small and obsure picture on the left and up side of the card.Maybe two ladies in it and some mosaic-like things I can hardly see clearly enough. I wonder if it is something outside the window or just a picture on it. Has anyone ever noticed that? What does it mean or symbolize? Is it something that appears in the mind of the man who is sleeping??

Dean

Freshreader said:
I've just noticed that there's a small and obsure picture on the left and up side of the card.Maybe two ladies in it and some mosaic-like things I can hardly see clearly enough. I wonder if it is something outside the window or just a picture on it. Has anyone ever noticed that? What does it mean or symbolize? Is it something that appears in the mind of the man who is sleeping??

This is funny as i was thinking the same thing earlier today with my RW Deck, i was just looking at the 4 swords card image and was wondereing what is the stained glass window showing.

Mostly here in the UK most chapels of rest have those same mosaic windows showing a Holy figure of some sort, and as the man is seen lying down he also looks like he's praying to that figure.

Elnor

Because the figure lying down gives the impression of being the effigy of a knight in a tomb, I've always thought that the window would be a reflection of that... near several actual tombs that I've seen in old medieval churches, the windows carry symbolic messages of hope- often of the resurrection.

So that's probably why I interpret that window in the card the way that I do- I see it as being Christ risen in the Garden of Gethsemane, with Mary Magdelene kneeling on the right, (that might possibly be the tomb in the background, with the light illuminating the doorway)... I saw this as implying that although there might be a time of difficulty ahead which could lead to either physical, mental, or even spiritual exhaustion- there will be light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. To allow the body, mind, and spirit a place in which to heal and recover.

elnor

arya ishtar

the figure to the left has a yellow halo, and in it is the word, "pax." latin for "peace." and i don't think the guy is dead. i don't think it's even a guy. notice that he's lying on an askew coffin cover. i think he's a statue carved in stone. don't think there's anyone in the coffin, either, or it would probably be completely open or closed. but regardless he represents the ultimate peace. when i get this i know i need to chill a little. or a lot.

ps notice that his getup is almost exactly the same as the fella in the chariot. wonder what THAT means...

MagsStardustBlack

I agree he looks like he is part of the stone catacombs such as the style that are in The Vatican. I think it is closed and the dark strip is a shadow representing depth.

The figures in the glass - is it a woman\child or angel\kneeling person in prayer??

arya ishtar

and the resemblance to the charioteer?