How much would you pay...

Lee

There's a deck, whose title I can never remember, that was really nice that was sold by the artist 10 or 15 years ago for over $300, I really wanted it but couldn't force myself to click "Buy" at that price.
I found it! Tarot Chesta. Apparently there were 61 made, sold with a wooden box. I see someone's selling one on the internet for 600 euros, at the time I think the artist sold it for $325 or $350. Too rich for my blood! :)

decan

Until now the most that I paid was $60 (without the shipping, expensive for me if the deck is shipped from the US because I live in Europe).
Well, we are far from $300; I don't think I'll pay this price for a deck.

Le Fanu

$800 ($888?) for a Pam-D deck from eBay followed by $600 for a Pam-B. Why? Because they are pieces of tarot history
And these won't lose their value. Since I bought my Pam B, December 2009, quite literally, the date the RWS officially became antique, I have seen prices go up and up. I definitely think high prices are worth it for antique decks. Even the ones I have paid high prices for - like the Greenwood or Ironwing - have kept their value but, it's a risky business.

Rhinemaiden

I recently paid $300 for a deck I had coveted for years. A deck I will use/am using every day. Once I had answered the "how will you pay for it?" question to my own frugal satisfaction, I felt at ease pushing the 'buy" button. Life is a trade-off. Over a year's time I will have paid less than $1 a day for the pleasure of owning/using this deck. :)

gregory

I didn't actually pay; someone spent 350 euros to buy it for me - but my killer is:

http://www.mutusliber.it/dans.htm

Given my feelings about DEATH - well, that's why it was given to me :TDEAT. I LOVE it.

Other than that

Jumbledance £240 - I don't regret it AT ALL.
Hero's Journey - original - $210.

Don't regret those either. I have no idea what I'd get if I sold them - but it does work every which way. I paid £19 for Granny Jones, for instance, and £25 for the Greenwood... })

But tarot is hardly an investment. I don't know about anyone else but it's like people who spend that sort of money on shoes, wine and cars - you do it for love of the object.

spinnachie

i can't remember the most i've ever paid, but i'm pretty sure it was less than $50. i also have the wild unknown, that might be the priciest? but i'm not much of a collector, so there's that.

however, there was one time that i saw a copy of the four heavenly kings tarot for $160 and i was dying!!! i can't even find a good link to show you, but it's a deck made in thailand that had two editions; gold and silver, both gilding. this was a gold one ~ oh, it is SOOO pretty. i gnashed my teeth and pulled at my hair, but in the end i decided that if i paid that much for a deck it would be too precious, you know? i hope whoever got it loves it to death.

generally, if there's something i've got my eye on, i'll lurk and lurk on all of the usual online tarot shopping meccas, and i'll usually find something affordable. if not, c'est la vie!

ooohhh sounds intriguing!
That's a good quote to live by! lol

spinnachie

It was the Minotarot, and it was totally worth it. I only read for friends, family and myself (I'm a serious non-pro), and this one is great for an unusual story telling game in addition to reading as we do. I use it like any other deck in my collection, aside from the unusual game. I suppose I do handle it carefully, though.

(On prices: it's not uncommon to see outrageous asks on ebay and especially on amazon, for used and out of print decks. Most of the time, it's not worth it to pay over $100 for anything mass market, as there are a lot of them floating around. Eventually you will find a reasonable offer. )

I checked some of the images on google...definitely looks like an interesting deck

$55 is the most Ive paid. $40-55 is really tops for me. Mostly I like the $10-15 range.

PS - There are several other threads on this topic.

sorry, I was looking for another thread but I never came across it

$800 ($888?) for a Pam-D deck from eBay followed by $600 for a Pam-B. Why? Because they are pieces of tarot history.

Rodney

I have to be honest, I didn't think that prices for decks even went that high

I found it! Tarot Chesta. Apparently there were 61 made, sold with a wooden box. I see someone's selling one on the internet for 600 euros, at the time I think the artist sold it for $325 or $350. Too rich for my blood! :)

hmm...if you did buy this deck ...being that only 61 were made...would you use it or would it be just something for a collection?

I didn't actually pay; someone spent 350 euros to buy it for me - but my killer is:

http://www.mutusliber.it/dans.htm

Given my feelings about DEATH - well, that's why it was given to me :TDEAT. I LOVE it.

Other than that

Jumbledance £240 - I don't regret it AT ALL.
Hero's Journey - original - $210.

Don't regret those either. I have no idea what I'd get if I sold them - but it does work every which way. I paid £19 for Granny Jones, for instance, and £25 for the Greenwood... })

But tarot is hardly an investment. I don't know about anyone else but it's like people who spend that sort of money on shoes, wine and cars - you do it for love of the object.

Ohhh you've got the right idea...we should all get people to gift us expensive decks!!!! ;)
I do know what you mean though...if you love something then it's worth the money you spend on it.

Lee

hmm...if you did buy this deck ...being that only 61 were made...would you use it or would it be just something for a collection?
I think I come down on the side of those who say decks are meant to be used and not sit on a shelf, no matter how rare/valuable. So I would have probably used it.

Annabelle

I haven't yet paid more than about $300 for a deck.

I would be willing to pay more than that in certain circumstances.

Most of the decks in my collection were purchased for less than $25, though -- and many for much less than that.

Denever

I'll only go above $60 for OOP decks, and even there, I check prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace to get a sense of what the range is.

I recently paid $75 for Robert Place's Vampire Tarot. That seemed like a good price after seeing many listings for $100-200.

I just went higher for Place's Tarot of the Saints -- $86. That deck seems to go more often for $150-250, so again, I got it for what I think is a great price. (That's the total cost, btw -- deck + shipping.)

The book is in Spanish, which I don't read, but I have enough rusty French, Italian, and Latin to get the gist. The cartas are in Ingles, though, and that's what mattered most to me.