A new spread idea: the Dialectic

Geenius at Wrok

Inspired by idle thoughts about tarot that got tangled up with idle thoughts about Hegel, a simple three-card spread.

[4][fixed] 3

1   2[/fixed][/4]​

1. Thesis. The essence of your problem or question.

2. Antithesis. The obstacle or challenge that you must deal with.

3. Synthesis. The resolution of the thesis and antithesis.

How elegant is that? :)

Liliana

Very, too bad Mary Greer beat you to itinTarot For Yourself. On page 35 she lists possible meanings for the 3 card spread, andthose are among them hehe :)

Geenius at Wrok

Heh. Great minds think alike, and so do ours, I guess.

Kiama

Geenius at Work: I have to take this opportunity to say I love your sig!

Kiama

Geenius at Wrok

Merci beaucoup.

Ninly

Geenius at Wrok (13 Feb, 2002 02:27):
Inspired by idle thoughts about tarot that got tangled up with idle thoughts about Hegel, a simple three-card spread.

Thinking Hegel, couldn't this be an(other) expandable spread? Synthesis becomes the new thesis, inspires/provokes a new antithesis, and so forth ad nauseum…

Geenius at Wrok

Ninly (13 Feb, 2002 14:15):
Thinking Hegel, couldn't this be an(other) expandable spread? Synthesis becomes the new thesis, inspires/provokes a new antithesis, and so forth ad nauseum…

Indeed it could.

xeper

Geenius,

I usually can't help but to think in terms of dialectic. You can look at most spreads in dialectic terms, and the celtic cross seems to be the snuggest fit.

In fact, I'd say the first six positions , the actual cross, is a "double" dialectic, resulting in positons 2 and 5 respectively, either one fitting the role of thesis/antithesis its self. These in turn synthesize resulting in the more linear continuation of the spread.

I see positions 1,3,4,6 as simply being different "veiwpoints" on positions 2 and 5- resulting in some a priori insight (7 on up) into how the situation is most likely to unfold.

I'd be happy to explain in more detail if anyone is curious.