Gaian Tarot...the good, the bad, the anything else

ann823

I've been looking at the Gaian Tarot (mass market edition)and I think I'd like to get it. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of threads on here (I've read what I could find)and many are about the non mm edition. It's been out for a while an I'm wondering what peoples opinions are after using it?

Alta

I am fairly sure that the MM version and the LE version share imagery, so the thread comments will help you there. The size and cardstock may well be different though in the MM version.

AJ

I trimmed mine and use it as an oracle

Mi-Shell

A couple of month ago I used it as a Deck of the week for a couple of weeks. I found, that for me personally it is a bit too "cheesy" I have trouble with the photographic - over realistic depictions of real people (= the artist, her family and friends..)
to me it felt - either I am supposed to know these people - or i felt like I am intruding in a voyeuristic way... :bugeyed:
I was by far not alone with that sentiment.

Bluefeet

I also think that the images are a bit cheesy and New Agey, but overall it is a nice earth-honoring deck. I have the LE deck and really like the sturdy card stock and printing quality of the cards.

Yasmin

As for me, the longer I worked with the deck, the more it grew on me. I was iffy at first but now it is one of my top 5 decks that I go to and sits next to my bed for easy reach. It is a nurturing deck for me and the new-agey feel to it was one of the reasons I was drawn to it.

magpie9

I had the LE and sold it when the MM came out. No real difference in the images...just smaller. I find it a hard deck to be into. I don't mind the new-agey-ness so much as the utter political correctness of it. None of these people have ever said the hell with it and bought something at Wallmart in their entire lives! I really like some of the different places the artist comes from, and the way it connects to Earth and everyday things and people. I don't like her departures from RWS meanings on so many cards, tho I like her departure from RWS symbolism. It feels like there's more learning required by this deck than I really want to do. I adore the majors, and want to love the minors a lot more than I do. I dislike the pages, but I never like very young children as Pages. I feel like maybe someday will be the time and place for this deck in my life, but meanwhile it sits on the shelf waiting. I do feel I should like it better, want it more, connect with it on the levels I had expected when I ordered it. Sometimes I feel really resentful that I kinda feel guilty about not connecting with it. Is that nuts, or what?

Carla

The deck is certainly not for everyone, but it has loyal followers.

PROS:

*It is earth-honouring. An attempt is made to show the beauty of the natural world.
*It depicts contemporary neopagan types fitting their spirituality into their real everyday lives. It shows the artist's conception of the energies/meanings of the cards being played out through everyday activities.
*It is pretty and colorful.
*The deck features a variety of body types and ethnicities.
*It is overall a positive and affirming deck.

CONS:

*A very narrow life experience is depicted here--a particular community of apparently quite affluent suburban neopagans/New Agey types living in the Pacific Northwest.
*The deck lacks grittiness.
*The deck lacks scope for something beyond the Birkenstock sandals and genuine handmade buffalo drums.
*The photographic realism of some of the cards can be jarring. People look too much like real people, if that makes sense.
*The apparent perfection of the lives of these people (shopping in farmers markets, practising yoga facing the rising sun, surfing, working together in the kitchen to preserve their harvest of herbs, swimming in shimmering rivers, etc) is offputting to some. I think they may see these images as smug.

For some reason, the deck makes me think of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU That guy wantsta be a gangsta. These folks wanna be pagans. Kinda.

I have mixed feelings about the deck. It's fun to look through. I personally find their lifestyle appealing. While it's certainly a sanitized version of life, I also find it realistic, in some ways. We all really are pretty much well-fed and clean and lead lives as consumers--we live in the Western world. When most of us do our spiritual practices, this is pretty much how we're dressed and how we look. So I don't have a problem with that.

One thing the deck lacks for me is a sense of mysticism. It's almost like a New Age hipster's photo album, snapshots of friends on holiday and daily outings. The deck seems very steeped, to me, in the day-to-day activities of this small circle of friends, and so it's hard for me to use for higher connections, meditation and contemplation. Readings done with the deck always seem to point to very simple answers.

There is not a lot of pain in this deck. There is a bit of angst and annoyance, but for the most part, the folks in the cards are groovin to their chakra vibes.

There has been some debate over whether this is even a tarot deck. I can see that argument, and see why AJ chopped hers down to make it an oracle. To be honest, I hardly look at mine. When I do get it out to look at it, I almost never go on to read with it. So I guess that means it's an unsuccessful deck, for me. If I want a reading, I choose something less personal and specific to a time, place, group, artist...right now I'm really into old-fashioned pip decks like Ancient Italian, so...!

Le Fanu

I don't mind the new-agey-ness so much as the utter political correctness of it. None of these people have ever said the hell with it and bought something at Wallmart in their entire lives!
:D :D
It gets worse...
One thing the deck lacks for me is a sense of mysticism. It's almost like a New Age hipster's photo album, snapshots of friends on holiday and daily outings.
As for me, I pride myself on sleeping at night safe in the knowledge that I'm not the target public for this deck. Phew.
(pet hate; decks that have smiling friends and family in them.)

Sulis

I think it's all been said - Carla's review is excellent, I particularly like the bit about the people in the deck 'groovin to their chakra vibes' :laugh:.

I was really looking forward to getting it but when I did I just thought 'yuk' and had the same reaction as Le Fanu - I just couldn't identify with the people shown on the cards and I was very glad about that.

Far too middle class, new-age for me but I can see that it's a well thought out deck and that there are probably loads of people out there who would really connect with it and find it to be exactly what they're looking for in a tarot deck.

I gave my copy away.