Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles

Major Tom

My Latest Tarot Deck

I have not named it yet but have started a tarot based on the Marseilles pattern as part of 78 Weeks of Study. I'm writing a bit about each card in each of the appropriate threads on the Using Tarot Cards board as well as posting my weeks effort.

My thoughts are that the Marseilles tarot decks are difficult for modern people to relate to their everyday lives because people don't dress in those fashions anymore. So I am attempting to retain the same 'woodcut' style of artwork but depicting the characters in modern dress.

The method of creation is to draw in pencil on and A4 size drawing pad and then over the pencil with a black roller ball pen. Stray pencil marks are erased. I then scan the image into Paint Shop Pro where I clean and colour the image and add titles and frames.

I provide links to the images thus far:

The Conjuror
The High Priestess
The Empress
The Emperor
The Pope

Whether you love it or hate it I'd like to hear from you about my efforts. :)

Le_Corsair

I couldn't link to the Conjuror, Major Tom. The others look good. In sticking with the theme of modernity, how about cricket bats, softball bats, fishing rods, etc., instead of maces and croziers?

Bob :THERM

baba-prague

These are a lot of fun and I think will be well received. I have to say that I'm not sure about the HP being dressed as she is - but that's only a first reaction - I could get used to it!

I would really like to hear some responses from Marseille fans (have to say I don't use Marseille so much currently).

What do you plan with the pips? Will they be completely unillustrated or will they be decorated in some way? Maybe it's too early to ask?

Major Tom

baba-prague said:
What do you plan with the pips? Will they be completely unillustrated or will they be decorated in some way? Maybe it's too early to ask?

I will follow the Marseilles pattern with the pips too so I'd say they will definitely be decorated. ;)

Oh and Bob, the suites are: Batons, Coins, Cups and Swords. :laugh: I've fixed the link for the Conjuror. I think most people have some experience of these things. :)

firemaiden

Hey Major T...

They are very challenging... :laugh:

Taken all together they are less of a shock then one at a time. I was wondering what made you choose the backward base-ball cap for the emperor (a gang leader?) (the associations I have with back-ward baseball caps are more along the lines of disempowered - disenfranchised). (or was that the point?)

They are clever caricatures of the Marseilles cards-- in some ways charming, in other ways, suggest barbed criticism of today's society (as a good caricature should....) the larger-than-life pope looks hauntingly sinister, and I worry for the fate of those two little boys at his feet...

baba-prague

Major Tom said:
I will follow the Marseilles pattern with the pips too so I'd say they will definitely be decorated. ;)

Whoops - well said! I can hear Diana laughing from here...

Astra

First impressions - the High Priestess, Empress and Emperor have a sort of down home country redneck dissipated look, and the Pope looks irritated - it felt like a tarot parody rather than a straight deck. Which I can deal with, I think, given a little time. Let me bounce off a few walls before I say anything more.

Major Tom

firemaiden said:
I was wondering what made you choose the backward base-ball cap for the emperor (a gang leader?)

the larger-than-life pope looks hauntingly sinister, and I worry for the fate of those two little boys at his feet...

The backward baseball cap was chosen because of the shape of the Emperor's crown in most Marseilles renditions. I thought he looked more like a modern day rapper. :laugh:

There are many in the world who find the Pope sinister and worry about the fate of little boys at the hands of priests. My version was inspired by a photo I found of the Pope projected upon a large screen supported by scaffolding. The smaller figures were modelled on figures from the crowd in front of the screen.

Astra - I can assure you that for me this is no parady - it is a serious attempt to make a modern Marseilles style deck. You can tell me I've failed. :laugh:

firemaiden

LOL, Tom, I agree with you that there are many who see the Pope as sinister, etc. That's why I say the deck is "challenging" -- and/or a parody/caricature - somehow the modernization manages to bring out certain negative aspects of each archetype.

That's brilliant if you think about it, it really makes you stand back and think, as art should, you know. It challenges me, because, well, I'd prefer a softer, prettier world... I'd prefer not to think of the Pope as sinister, although reversed, maybe. It forces me to reconsider my view of the Pope as a beneficent, godly, altruist.

Same with the Emperor, I'd much prefer to think of the Emperor as a great, distinguished, and dignified person, rather than the local thug... (forgive me, those are the associations I have with backward baseball caps, due to exposure to New York City gang/crime environment), but admittedly, thuggery is an aspect of emperor-hood LOL, I mean, that lovely eagle is as much a symbol of the glory of Ancient Rome, as it is of Hitler's Third Reich...you've sort of brought out the shadow aspect. At the same time, your forcing me to reevaluate my concept of rappers as thugs -- if you see him as an emperor, then there must be something askew in my understanding, so that's another way in which the card challenges me. :D :D

As for the High Priestess, :D :D, I remember our threads about her being a cocktail waitress... certainly that's an aspect of the card... hahahah, but er.... again, you've taken the challenging viewpoint....

The Empress is a challenge too, I'd perfer to think of her as soft and flowing, elegant, and motherly. This one looks like she'd bite my head off. :laugh:

The Magician I can live with LOL.

So are your cards a success Tom? Absolutely, they make me think. Its a fascinating concept.

Imagemaker

I like the colors and style of drawing. I like the *impact* of the images and look forward to more!

The Emperor is nonchalant in his arrogance. I don't even mind the backwards baseball cap, in relatively peaceful NH it mostly means just saucy and clever.

The Empress, however, looks to me like Arnold Schwartzenegger in drag :D I mean, that jaw! those knees! I don't need a really beautiful Empress, but I want a more female one!

And yes, the Pope's face is malevolent and sneaky--but that can be a good thing for meaningful readings!

Keep going!