Beginner's Book on Thoth Tarot

Alta

In my experience, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Duquette is a very good start into Thoth.

gregory

I agree. But it can be quite hard going at times. A more "basic" one, in a WAY, just for the deck itself, is Snuffin: The Thoth Companion: The Key to the True Symbolic Meaning of the Thoth Tarot. It doesn't go into CROWLEY as much, but still.

In the end there is no way around reading Crowley himself though.

I did the 78 card study - discussion thread - of the Thoth not long ago, and read both, and Crowley, and Banzhaf... THAT told me quite a lot - but I still feel like a newb !

The Happy Squirrel

In my experience, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Duquette is a very good start into Thoth.

Hey Alta that's the book which Amazon link I pasted in my original question. Thanks for confirming!

Hi Gregory. Will check those out!

Alta

I was just posting the title so others would know which book you meant without having to click on the link.

The Happy Squirrel

Ah. Cheers. In that case, the Banzhaf book I referred to above is "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot"

Nemia

The links don't work for me, sorry.

Snuffin and Milo DuQuette are both very good reading, and Banzhaf's book about Thoth (not the keywords book, that's quite weak IMO) is a good addition. But only with Milo DuQuette did I find my first foothold in the kabbalah. Banzhaf is stronger in the astrology department, which I knew before so I was in need of Milo DQ to push me into the Tree of Life.

And it's wonderful!!!

Buy a biiig Thoth, take a magnifying glass and a good reading lamp, and have fun.

I drew my own clumsy tree of life while reading Milo DuQuette. That really helped.

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks for that Nemia. I have narrowed down my list to DQ and Snuffin. But I like how Banzhaf approach things just from reading of his opening words for now. In fact he is so far my favourite, in terms of where the writers were at or were coming from :)