Done buying decks on ebay/goodwill auction site, I think

JankaV

I've bought two decks thinking they were vintage and they were 90s reprints. I didn't pay much for either, so it's no big deal but I think it's funny people think they are listing 70s decks without looking into it.

It's my fault for not asking the appropriate questions...but I assumed sellers knew more about their product. I may still impulse but a steal...but I won't assume it's vintage.

If I'm in the markers for a vintage deck I'll just look here. I just thought the thrill of a crazy steal was fun, but so far it hasn't been real ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408720947.806092.jpg

AJ

for the most part ebay is still 4 million people like you and me.
Selling things they have picked up at garage sales and left over inheritance stuff. No clue other than what they can garner from completed listings.

Goodwill listings? They haven't a clue.
And aren't adept as answering email questions in my experience.

Truly a buyer beware situation.

I very nearly almost yowza got caught yesterday by bidding on what was a great price, and turned out to have 21.00 shipping for a one pound item to bring it up to what others were getting. I would have been furious. At them but mostly at me for not reading the listing carefully. Fortunately I was outbid.

VGimlet

Yep, those auction sites are definitely buyer beware.

I have gotten some good deals from ebay, but you have to be careful and not trust the seller description unless it is someone who regularly deals with similar items - and then you often may be paying market value.

So, I still buy, but always with caution. :D

Grizabella

All the above, plus throw in Amazon's used sellers. Always, always, always ask the seller if you're buying cards or just the book, because the ad won't say.

FLizarraga

All the above, plus throw in Amazon's used sellers. Always, always, always ask the seller if you're buying cards or just the book, because the ad won't say.

YES. And sometimes they either won't answer emails at all, or they will tell you that they simply cannot check their inventory for this or that reason.

Buyer beware, indeed.

Although, to be entirely fair, I'm starting to see some Amazon used sellers that go as far as listing pictures of the actual deck in their possession. I hope it catches on.

tarotbear

It's my fault for not asking the appropriate questions...but I assumed sellers knew more about their product.

I hope you are joking .... if not - I own a bridge in NYC that I am selling cheap....

You don't know how many antique mustache cups I have seen for sale as "RARE" - with a starting bid of 99 cents ....

JankaV

I hope you are joking .... if not - I own a bridge in NYC that I am selling cheap....

You don't know how many antique mustache cups I have seen for sale as "RARE" - with a starting bid of 99 cents ....

ha, I know! I'm new to tarot collecting though...lesson learned ;)

chimera68

I got burned earlier this month on Fleabay with a moldy Robin Wood Deck!! So gross!!
Forunately a phone call to Paypal instigated a refund. I did send the deck back though.
Buyers beware!

danielnogo

OMG I hate how the used sellers on Amazon dont say its just the book, I chewed a seller out one time because of it. If the freakin book says its a book for a card set are you really dumb enough to think most people only want the book? One time it even said it came with the cards on the listing but it was just the book when it came. Freakin pissed me off, you think youre getting a steal and it turns out to be a big waste of time, especially with how slowly alot of those sellers ship, you are excited for a week and then it ruins your whole day almost when its just the book.

There are certain sellers that usually always have the cards though, Goodwill of Silicon valley is one that if you see them selling the book and it says cards, they always have the cards. never ever buy from betterworld books, its NEVER the cards.

I have gotten two slamming deals on cards though, I usually look through all the decks and there will be the occasional brand new deck still in the shrink wrap for less than 2.00!

I recently Got the archangel power tarot for 2.00, and I also got the mythic oracle for 2.00 both brand new! When they say it new you never have to worry about it just being the book. I was sent just thew book for medicine cards the other day, and I just decided to print and laminate my own cards for it since they are just a picture of an animal and a dream catcher. Better than waiting for the cards to get here and spending another 20 bucks.
Lol this is what they look like:
http://s3.postimg.org/4klqen8g3/deer.png

BrownBear

That deer...so sweet!

And thanks for the tips on buying decks secondhand.