Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

"Tarot Triumphs" by Cherry Gilchrist

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

I've often pondered how I might work "pipless" as some here do, and am starting to get a glimmer of how that might transpire. I think I would take the 56-card "oracle" part of the deck and do more mundane readings with that, and keep the triumphs for more intricate exploration. My experiments with shifting around the astrological correspondences for the triumphs have already shown me that there are less obvious interconnections between them. I'll keep you posted as I get further into the book. Maybe someday I'll take a page from my pubescent schoolboy phrasebook and call myself the "pipless wonder!"
Top   #11
Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
I've often pondered how I might work "pipless" as some here do, and am starting to get a glimmer of how that might transpire. I think I would take the 56-card "oracle" part of the deck and do more mundane readings with that, and keep the triumphs for more intricate exploration.
By the way, I don't know if you've read any books by Juliet Sharman-Burke (not the Mythic Tarot book but her other ones), but she has a whole reading process that involves taking the client through several layouts. She separates the Majors from the Minors (she usually uses RWS-type decks). First she does a layout (Celtic Cross I believe) with just the Minors, to get a sense of mundane issues. Then she does a seven-card layout with only the Majors, to get a picture of physchological/spiritual underpinnings. Only then does she combine the deck and do a five-card (if I'm remembering correctly) layout with the full deck.
Top   #12
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
By the way, I don't know if you've read any books by Juliet Sharman-Burke (not the Mythic Tarot book but her other ones), but she has a whole reading process that involves taking the client through several layouts. She separates the Majors from the Minors (she usually uses RWS-type decks). First she does a layout (Celtic Cross I believe) with just the Minors, to get a sense of mundane issues. Then she does a seven-card layout with only the Majors, to get a picture of physchological/spiritual underpinnings. Only then does she combine the deck and do a five-card (if I'm remembering correctly) layout with the full deck.
Thanks for the pip . . . I mean "tip." I think I get the picture without buying the book. Sounds good. I might think of the triumphs more as "overarching" than as "underpinning," though. In some cases I might never get to the combined spread if I get what I'm after before that point.
Top   #13
Citizen

KhonsuMes 
Citizen

Does anyone know of a reasonable source for the Universal Marseille companion book by Lee? I got the deck years ago, but don't seem to have the book. (My record keeping was poor in those days, now I try to list all the components of packages..)
Top   #14
Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhonsuMes View Post
Does anyone know of a reasonable source for the Universal Marseille companion book by Lee? I got the deck years ago, but don't seem to have the book. (My record keeping was poor in those days, now I try to list all the components of packages..)
Hi KhonsuMes, thanks for asking. The set that has the book seems to be no longer available, and I don't know if Lo Scarabeo has any further plans for it.
Top   #15
Citizen

KhonsuMes 
Citizen

Thank you, Lee.

Khonsumes Matt
Top   #16
Citizen

3ill.yazi 
Citizen

I do see that box set show up on eBay every once in a while.
Top   #17
Citizen

KhonsuMes 
Citizen

Thanks,
I set up a search to watch for it.

Matt
Top   #18
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

I just finished the book last night. The Fool's Mirror spread looks interesting and I will try it when I get a suitable victim . . . er, subject. The last two chapters didn't do too much for me, though. Guess I'm too much of a literalist. But the "three-ring" design gave me a great idea for a new spread, which I'll post here soon.
Top   #19
Citizen

Herodotus 
Citizen

You know, I finished reading this book a couple weeks ago, and I walked away with some very mixed feelings about it. Of all the Tarot books on my shelf, this one is my least-liked (but then again, I don't usually save a space on my shelf for the books I don't like, and this one remains anyway)

But I'll have to get into why I feel as I do at a future date, because it's past my bedtime.
Top   #20

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.