"tarot History" versus historiography

Debra

Sorry to be so out of the loop here, but...who IS Diane OD? She doesn't have her name or her articles etc. on her profile.

Teheuti

Diane - It would be interesting to see what a Tarot deck would look like using all the pictorial images you've found in your map & Almanac research. Have you thought of creating such a deck?

Mary

Debra

I understand privacy and all that, but if you all are talking now about scholarly standards and the importance of peer review, etc. well, who the heck IS our Diane here? I appreciate that Mary G signs her posts--we recognize her expertise. I've got a PhD and a university post and I don't sign my contributions here because my professional credentials are irrelevant to tarot. But if it's head to head on scholarship, identity matters....we can find Huck through his website; ditto for jmd and others.

Debra

Thank you, Mary.

It appears this is a long-term work in progress, as yet unreviewed by other historians, with a number of provocative hypotheses supported so far by fragmentary evidence and argument.

That's just fine with me.

DianeOD

Just fine...

Debra

Really??

Teheuti

Debra said:
as yet unreviewed by other historians

Dummett may not have been aware of Diane's writings but many amateur tarot historians on the internet have lauded her work as intriguing and worthy of further investigation. The problem is most people don't have the necessary language background, access to materials, or inclination to thoroughly evaluate, substantiate or disprove her research. I know of several who have not integrated Diane's theories into their works 1) because it is not yet substantiated as relevant, 2) because Diane has yet to formally publish her thesis and should have the opportunity to do so first, and 3) they don't want to take the space to go into the detail required to thoroughly explain it.

Right now it's a theory with some intriguing details that I think should be explored further.

Mary

Debra

DianeOD said:
Debra

Really??

Sure, of course!

As long as the status of the research is clear, why would I complain?

Here, where people have a variety of interests and backgrounds, when we are simply fooling around with ideas, speculating on connections, etc., we usually say so.

But DianeOD, you didn't do that. You presented yourself as
an historian and expert, but did not identify yourself or provide any links to research or evidence of credentials. The rational person might well ask: so who are you, and why should I heed your comments more than others? I'm glad that Mary Greer gave us a few links and that you're back, I hope for further discussion.

I see the summary at the website Mary linked but it looks like you've deleted the essays with the evidence itself, I assume because you want to protect it from poachers, refine it, make corrections, etc. Still, if there is evidence you want to share, I hope you will.

mac22

Teheuti said:
Diane has a website, summary of her hypotheses, and articles at:
http://daanamindon.wetpaint.com/

I think her work speaks well for itself.

There's also a short bio at:
http://info.newcastle.edu.au/service/archives/symbiosis/index.html#diane

I hope we can take advantage of the opportunity to talk to her here about her ideas and research.

Mary

Ok I came late to the discussion but as I was reading Diane's site you mention above --- Where is the evidence that the Tarot was used anywhere as a memory aid & teaching tool? And if so.... what was it used to teach?

I use many memory techniques from Dame Francis Yates such as the memory theater -- no where in her works do I recall her mentioning the Tarot being used for such a purpose(s).

I joined the wetpaint site and cannot read any of the essays....:(

Mac22

Debra

They're deleted but you can see them if you go to the top of the page and click "complete history" and then fool around a bit. I imagine that's not what she had in mind by deleting it, though....