Tarocco Francese di Besancon .. how fabbo

BSwett

Agviz, those look awesome. Where did you get that rounder? I have a bigger radius one that i don't want to use, but those look lovey, kind of like Flornoy's Dodal-Almost square!
If I can get my hands on a 2mm rounder I'm gonna start with the Besançon and then do my Pierre Madenie!

agviz

Hi BSwett. Glad you like them. I got the rounder from Amazon - just search for Oregon Lamination rounder. They have a 2, 3, 5, and 10mm. They are expensive though: $37.50 each. But they cut better than other rounders I've tried. Over time I've given in and bought the 2, 3, and 5mm. Yeah, kind of a lot to spend on rounders, but I love the results. The 2mm really looks great on the Meneghello decks.

prudence

Well Fanu, your comment got me to round the corners. I used a 2mm rounder by Oregon Lamination. I can't see using any larger radius for this deck - the tightness of 2mm almost feels like a square corner.

And after I finished that, I did the same to several other Meneghello decks including the Soprafino.

I can imagine some people cringing when they read this... but I've come to change my mind about square corners. I originally thought they were all the rage, but they were snagging my tablecloth and poking me when I shuffled. It got to be that I was just looking at the decks and not using them. Since I've rounded the corners, I've begun using them without fear. And you know what? I think they actually look better.
I did cringe when I read this, but I must admit those cards look amazing!! Really excellent work you did there, Agviz. Sadly, I do not have the cojones to take a rounder to any of my Il Meneghello decks. (though hubby is relieved about that! ;) )

agviz

I did cringe when I read this, but I must admit those cards look amazing!! Really excellent work you did there, Agviz. Sadly, I do not have the cojones to take a rounder to any of my Il Meneghello decks. (though hubby is relieved about that! ;) )

Yeah, I can understand the cringe. ;)

If I had decided I didn't like it after I started, there was no going back, no undo button. I've done my share of deck modification (rounding, removing and gilding borders, even de-glossing surfaces). You win some and you lose some. This was one I really didn't want to lose, but I took the chance and now I'm glad I did. My hope in posting the pictures is that it would make it easier to decide for someone considering this.

Le Fanu

wow, agviz, those look amazing. THAT'S how I want mine to look but I have looked closely at the deck and I only have a 5mm and a 3 mm rounder and I have looked closely at all the cards and there is a thin black inner frame which I know would lose its corner if I used either one of these rounders. And it wouldn't look right.

I need a 2 mm one. That deck looks even more beautiful. It needs the outer corner rounding but not the inner frame. Exactly as you have done it.

I de-cornered my Soprafino (OK, one of them) ages ago with 3 mm corner rounder. It definitely looks better. It feels even more compact and "squat" and chunky in the hand. Definitely more useable.

Who's cringing? Nobody's come forward so far...

prudence

Who's cringing? Nobody's come forward so far...
That would be me...I'm the cringer, but only upon first reading this, then once I saw the pix, I was won over. Certain key words can set me off, like Il Meneghello + "trimming" and "corner rounding". :bugeyed: Mostly because I imagine myself setting out to do it to one of my IM decks and the sweat starts to spring up on my forehead.... My trimming and corner rounding skills are sadly and shockingly lacking.

Le Fanu

I have (admittedly) seen some real car crash trimming jobs - pitifully loved by their owners.

But you can't really go wrong with a corner rounder. There's not much to get wrong. The only problem is if it's too wide and starts nibbling into the card design, which doesn't happen in the case of agviz' deck. It really looks lovely. Really enhances the deck.

Debra

How about a teeny snip with a teeny scissors?

prudence

How about a teeny snip with a teeny scissors?

Nooooo!!! :bugeyed:

I tried this with my Thoth, and while at the time I thought I did a pretty good job, I can only say now that it is a "real car crash trimming job". Poor Thoth. :(

Debra

Yes, I must admit, my lil' nail scissor snips have been ... quite irregular, too. But for an old-timey deck, wouldn't this be right? I mean, until the money for a really good rounder shows up ...