Can we talk about The Pages?

Beastmaster

[ETA: I'm not sure this is the right subforum-- perhaps should be in Using Tarot Cards?? Sorry!!]
Can you all give me your feedback on the Page cards? What do they mean to you? Do they usually represent people (children)? Are they more situational? (and what situation may they be pointing to?) How can you tell?

I have a hard time with court cards in general, determining if they are people or just situations or influences, but especially with Pages. I have 3 children under the age of 15 so when the Pages turn up in my own readings, I wonder if they refer to one (or all??) of my children, or if they mean something else. I know when the Queen of Pents shows up, it usually means me, but don't know for sure about which suit would represent my children- they are young after all and "not done" yet, so it seems hard to assign a hard-and-fast descriptor for them.

And just generally, wondering how you suss out what Pages mean in your readings!

Thanks so much!

Sulis

I don't think that any of the court cards 'usually represent people' or 'are more situational', it entirely depends on the question, the context, the story that the other cards in the reading tell, the position of the card in the spread etc.

Court cards show levels of maturity so any court card can be any sex or any age depending on the situation you're reading about.

Pages are the first level of maturity (think young children) so they speak about needing to learn or gain experience in the element that they represent. So for example, the Page of Coins or Pentacles needs to learn or gain experience about something practical or in the realm of finances or security.
Pages were traditionally Knights in training or apprentices so they fetched and carried, took messages etc so they often mean a message about whatever element they are representing.
Any of the court cards in a reading could be advising you or your querant to act in the way of that court card so for example the Page of Cups could be advising you to be open and honest about your feelings or to examine your feelings.

I think of Pages as representing the first stage of something so they often talk about thoughts, Knights are the second stage so actions or movement and change, Queens have reached a level of maturity so that they understand their elements and the Kings are masters of all of those stages and are capable of manifesting their elements in the world.

No-one is represented by the same court card all the time.. You may be a King of Pentacles at work and a Page of Swords or Cups in a reading about your relationship. As I said before, context is everything.

Does that help.

Barleywine

I see the Pages first and foremost as something new and often immature. I don't usually see them as messengers unless the context of the reading invites that interpretation. As far as whether they (or any of the court cards) represent actual people, I leave it up to the sitter to tell me that. I run the three possibilities by them: other people, personal characteristics or attitudes of their own, or impersonal forces at work in the matter, and see which one they relate to most strongly. On one recent occasion I had the sitter exclaim on seeing the Page of Cups "Oh, that's my son. which is what I came to ask about." (I didn't ask her to tell me her question in advance, so it was a case of the cards speaking directly to her unspoken concern.)

If I happened to be doing a written narrative for someone not present (I normally work only face-to-face, but you never know), I would float all three possibilities: "if this is a person, then . . . ;" "on the other hand, if it represents characteristics or attitudes you should cultivate or avoid . . . ; "or it might simple mean a new current of inspiration or opportunity coming into the picture . . ."

page of ghosts

I'm not the best with the courts either, but because of my reading style (introspective self-reading) I do feel that most of the time they refer to some kind of level of experience, maturity, power, responsibility, etc. I've seen them as people once or twice but mostly it is like an aspect of myself to look at, connect with or imitate/experience.

The pages then, I think can be the initial burst. They are curious, energetic (maybe not as much as the Knights though!), can be eager to learn and explore. Sometimes I think they can point to a kind naivete that can be both good and bad dependig on the situation. A page could be the start of a project or a new discovery. I don't know if it's a "correct" thing or not but I feel like they can relate to the Aces of their suits? What exactly a page means depends a lot on the other cards and the question, like with all other cards.

GoodnessGracious

The Pages (and the other court cards for that matter) can indeed be confusing sometimes as they can represent situations, messages, or people/personalities. Other cards in the reading should give a clue and indication of what the Page could mean, but other than that, I think it takes a lot of practice and really getting to know your cards.

It took me a long time to get to know the Pages, but I have finally realized :)laugh:) that in my own readings they mostly pop up to show an early/beginning stage or an immature aspect of oneself. The Page of Swords tells me when my thought process and communication is hasty and immature - and I need to watch my tongue. The Page of Wands warns me when my fire is immature and I'm acting impulsively. The Page of Pentacles wants me to begin manifesting my goal or dream in the physical world and to learn and be studious.

Practice and get to know your cards, and you will get the hang of it! :)

Beastmaster

I don't think that any of the court cards 'usually represent people' or 'are more situational', it entirely depends on the question, the context, the story that the other cards in the reading tell, the position of the card in the spread etc.

Court cards show levels of maturity so any court card can be any sex or any age depending on the situation you're reading about.

Pages are the first level of maturity (think young children) so they speak about needing to learn or gain experience in the element that they represent. So for example, the Page of Coins or Pentacles needs to learn or gain experience about something practical or in the realm of finances or security.
Pages were traditionally Knights in training or apprentices so they fetched and carried, took messages etc so they often mean a message about whatever element they are representing.
Any of the court cards in a reading could be advising you or your querant to act in the way of that court card so for example the Page of Cups could be advising you to be open and honest about your feelings or to examine your feelings.
I think this is where I have trouble- just not feeling familiar with the various meanings/interpretations. Hopefully as I keep at it, my clarity will increase!

I think of Pages as representing the first stage of something so they often talk about thoughts, Knights are the second stage so actions or movement and change, Queens have reached a level of maturity so that they understand their elements and the Kings are masters of all of those stages and are capable of manifesting their elements in the world.
This is very helpful- I have read this before but it didn't really stick with me, thank you for the refresher!

No-one is represented by the same court card all the time.. You may be a King of Pentacles at work and a Page of Swords or Cups in a reading about your relationship. As I said before, context is everything.
Very good reminder-- thanks!

Does that help.
Yes, thank you! :)

Beastmaster

I see the Pages first and foremost as something new and often immature. I don't usually see them as messengers unless the context of the reading invites that interpretation. As far as whether they (or any of the court cards) represent actual people, I leave it up to the sitter to tell me that. I run the three possibilities by them: other people, personal characteristics or attitudes of their own, or impersonal forces at work in the matter, and see which one they relate to most strongly. On one recent occasion I had the sitter exclaim on seeing the Page of Cups "Oh, that's my son. which is what I came to ask about." (I didn't ask her to tell me her question in advance, so it was a case of the cards speaking directly to her unspoken concern.)

If I happened to be doing a written narrative for someone not present (I normally work only face-to-face, but you never know), I would float all three possibilities: "if this is a person, then . . . ;" "on the other hand, if it represents characteristics or attitudes you should cultivate or avoid . . . ; "or it might simple mean a new current of inspiration or opportunity coming into the picture . . ."

That's helpful, thank you. I like seeing your "hierarchy of meaning" - first, as something new and immature, and then based on the context, other people, personal characteristics/attitudes, or impersonal forces.
I think I mainly struggle with meanings in general because they seem so fluid and vary so much, so putting a context together and sensing the interplay of the cards is something I need more practice doing!

Beastmaster

I'm not the best with the courts either, but because of my reading style (introspective self-reading) I do feel that most of the time they refer to some kind of level of experience, maturity, power, responsibility, etc. I've seen them as people once or twice but mostly it is like an aspect of myself to look at, connect with or imitate/experience.
this is interesting- thank you!

The pages then, I think can be the initial burst. They are curious, energetic (maybe not as much as the Knights though!), can be eager to learn and explore. Sometimes I think they can point to a kind naivete that can be both good and bad dependig on the situation. A page could be the start of a project or a new discovery. I don't know if it's a "correct" thing or not but I feel like they can relate to the Aces of their suits? What exactly a page means depends a lot on the other cards and the question, like with all other cards.

Yes - this is so right on, but also where I tend to struggle. I'm still figuring out how they all influence each other. :D I think you're right though, if I can just keep a general meaning in mind (new start, a level of immaturiy/naivete, youthful energy) then the more nuanced meanings will come.

Beastmaster

The Pages (and the other court cards for that matter) can indeed be confusing sometimes as they can represent situations, messages, or people/personalities. Other cards in the reading should give a clue and indication of what the Page could mean, but other than that, I think it takes a lot of practice and really getting to know your cards.

It took me a long time to get to know the Pages, but I have finally realized :)laugh:) that in my own readings they mostly pop up to show an early/beginning stage or an immature aspect of oneself. The Page of Swords tells me when my thought process and communication is hasty and immature - and I need to watch my tongue. The Page of Wands warns me when my fire is immature and I'm acting impulsively. The Page of Pentacles wants me to begin manifesting my goal or dream in the physical world and to learn and be studious.

Practice and get to know your cards, and you will get the hang of it! :)

Thank you! I will keep at it. It's funny how my perspective of the cards has changed since I first got them. I was so overwhelmed!! :laugh: Now some are just second nature and I find them easy to interpret-- but obviously it's not that way with all of them!! The court cards especially! Practicing is definitely needed!

Prilica

I may sound odd but I see them similar to the aces, just in the sense that sometimes they bring that new energy of the suit, like newborns and the aces usually also represent that new fresh energy.
I see the pages like more versatile tough. They could be children, situations, personalities... beginners... news in some matter. We all are pages in some sense. I feel they challenge us in a good way to learn in this life.