Your Tarot Journal

EvaSegovia

So I recently started a new tarot journal. I had an RWS mini deck laying around without a job, so I taped the cards to a sheet of paper and color copied the sheet in multiples; then cut these sheets apart into MORE cards. A lined notebook, a written question, the card layout done with the cut-up cards and a glue stick, and VOILA! I like this SO much more than just writing the card names. I'm very visual so it helps me a lot... Anyone else want to share their tarot journal creations? Cover ideas? Anything really... I'd LOVE your input for my own inspiration.

Nemia

I still have my old tarot journals on a shelf - mostly drawn and written. But some years ago, I switched to Evernote. Now all I have to do is take a picture of the spread, upload it to Evernote and write down the ideas I had.

Evernote is great for collecting ideas, material etc. I also have a tarot purchase journal, a reading diary, reviews of Kindle samples, a collection of spreads etc.

It's much less haptic and creative, but it serves my purposes well. I use my creativity to make tarot magnets, tarot pendants and tarot greeting cards, spread maps and study cards.

Seldes Katne

I'm still using physical journals and writing in them by hand, although that's partly because I have a bunch of blank journals sitting around for various reasons.

One journal is strictly for my impressions of individual cards. My color printer doubles as a copier, so I photocopy a page's worth of cards, cut the copies up, and paste each card on a journal page. This is especially helpful right now because I'm working through the Universal Goddess Tarot, and each card is a mini mythology lesson.

Another journal is just for new spread layouts that I've found in various places.

I have a third journal for recording actual readings of two or more cards. For that one I note the deck used, the date the spread was performed, etc.

A fourth journal contains my exercises done with various books (21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card, The Tarot Playbook, etc.).

Should I ever run out of hardcopy journals I will probably try something electronic (I do keep a Microsoft Publisher file of new spreads), but so far I prefer the print versions.

Michellehihi

I also write everything by hand, but all in the same journal. I used to have separate journals for creative writing, morning pages, gratitude thoughts and quote, my readings, readings for others, spreads, dreams, etc....

It started to be a lot of management haha! So now I put everything in the same journal.

DaughterOfDanu

I don't journal much, probably because I'm not always in the mood to physically write. But I do have an idea of how I'd like to go about it in the future. At some point I was just snapping a quick picture of my reading, but when I'd go back through my photos I had forgotten what the reading was even for.

For all my casual readings for myself and little notes from playing with my cards I think I'll use Evernote (thanks to Nemia!) I can upload a picture and just type up some quick thoughts.

I have a beautiful journal that I want to use for more serious and deep readings. Luckily it's only got a few pages of tarot notes so it's like new.

I also have a mini journal I keep in my bag for little on the go readings and notes.

I think the hardest part is just making it a habit. I love the idea of cutting and pasting card images into a journal- as a visual learner that does appeal to me. Also it's back to school time so now's the best time to stock up on notebooks and supplies for the year :D

krs887

I just started a tarot journal and so far I've been mostly writing everything by hand. I find that by physically writing notes - more so than typing helps me remember.

Having recently begun learning the cards, I find this to be a very important process for me; so I try to be good about journaling as often as I can. Again, it's just hand-written notes for now, but I do plan on adding images of the cards and whatnot. I'm more of a visual learner as well.

I like the idea of keeping a mini journal in my bag for when I'm at work or on the go - it'll help with my daily drawings and other notes.

That being said, I may eventually move everything to one big binder so it's all together.

EvaSegovia

Evernote sounds like a very good option. Clear and concise. I like that. On the other hand, I'm also drawn to the slow study that a handwritten journal demands... Hmmm... And then there's the creative aspect... Hmmmm..... One thing's for sure though: I'm getting a mini journal for my bag. Thanks

Teheuti

While I have readings and ideas in individual journal notebooks that I carry with me, I have so many of those that I can't find or remember where something is. I also have hundreds of computer files. So, my important notes get printed out and go in ring binders. I keep having to expand these (keep getting more and larger binders) but at least it's easy to rearrange pages. I can include a napkin or something from a smaller notebook by glueing it to standard size sheet or put in a plastic sleeve, and I can photocopy/scan/print tarot images or sketches and punch holes so they fit in my binders. I have notes from 40+ years ago as well as recent material.

Many people don't realize that you can have a blog that's set to 'private,' which can be a good place to keep photos and commentaries of readings as well as notes. Plus you can use multiple categories to sort each post.

EvaSegovia

Many people don't realize that you can have a blog that's set to 'private,' which can be a good place to keep photos and commentaries of readings as well as notes. Plus you can use multiple categories to sort each post."

No, I didn't realize until you mentioned it...thanks

Venus Rising

There are so many great ideas here for keeping a tarot journal. Thanks so much for sharing them. I like the idea of using Evernote and keeping a photo of the spread/card, but as krs887 said, I also find that I remember things that I have handwritten more easily than if I type them. Maybe the best idea for me is printing and pasting a photo in the journal and then writing in the rest. I will definitely give it a go! Thanks everyone! :)