Tyldwick - Nine of Swords

BodhiSeed

The truth might set some people free, but for others it strips them bare and leaves them feeling raw and exposed. Curled in an emotional fetal position, they want desperately to shut off their minds. But what we resist will only persist; it needs to be dealt with. The mind may have manipulated things to make them sound good, but now the “writing is on the wall” (as seen by the swords pip) and the unvarnished truth is plain to see. It’s excruciating the way the brain can replay over and over the choices made or words said and the consequences that resulted. Simply saying “I’m sorry” is not going to fix what has been broken this time. But is it possible we are taking all the blame for something that is not our burden to bear? Who is really responsible for this mess? The tiny window with bars gives the impression of a cell in solitary confinement. And it does feel that way – as if we have run out of hope and options. All that seems left is regret for the past and anxiety for the future. Yet the window does let in fresh air and light; could there be another option out there?
http://www.malpertuis.co.uk/2013/

Attachments

• CurledUp.jpg
    CurledUp.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 277

swimming in tarot

Actually, the window does not let in light (unless that is just the night sky). I think it not insignificant that the window is square, with its bars echoing the swords traditionally hanging over the person's head, in this card: a boxy, fixed, rigid shape, with thoughts (bars) firmly fixed in one position, preventing exit from the situation.

-dark night of the soul
-swords of Damocles that fell (consequences)
-no light at the end of the tunnel (I remember a basement lunchroom with "windows" to a ventilation tunnel that only let in air, not light).

The figure's legs fade into absence--no feet. What is the significance of that? Is this a ghost, rather than a statue? Is this person not grounded? Are the feet of the original statue obscured by something irrelevant to the card, and the deck's artist simply deleted everything down there?

wrennish

There's a small, light-colored object at the figure's feet. I'm having a hard time figuring out what it might be. Any ideas?

BodhiSeed

There's a small, light-colored object at the figure's feet. I'm having a hard time figuring out what it might be. Any ideas?
Even with the scan enlarged I can't figure out what it is. Perhaps it is his "glimmer of hope?" :)

Attachments

• glimmer.jpg
    glimmer.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 287

swimming in tarot

I'm thinking it's a bone. You know the phrase, "throw someone a bone"? Offer them an inconsequential concession. Small hope. Cold comfort.

The person next to me suggests a roll of paper, presumably with something written on it.

Tyldwick

The figure's legs fade into absence--no feet. What is the significance of that? Is this a ghost, rather than a statue?

I also interpreted this as a ghostly image, although the pose of the figure reminds me of Rodin's The Burghers of Calais. One of the men in this collection of sculpture cradles his head in his hands similarly (http://bytesdaily.blogspot.com/2011/12/burghers-of-calais.html). Rodin wrote about his work that in "the indecision of that last inner combat which ensues between their cause and their fear of dying, each of them is isolated in front of his conscience." Seems appropriate for the Nine of Swords! More about that here: http://bytesdaily.blogspot.com/2011/12/burghers-of-calais.html

Going back to the illustration, I found it interesting that while the designer has mostly let the deck speak for itself, he said a lot about this particular card. I highly recommend reading the full interview if you, like me, enjoy reading about an artist's design process and creative decisions. Here's the full thing (http://www.malpertuis.co.uk/site/tyldwick-tarot.html#interview) and an excerpt:

"My relationship with the Nine of Swords is quite a long one and there's inevitably a bit of me in the design. It's a more subjective illustration than most of the others in the deck. In terms of what I was trying to represent, well... isolation and despair I suppose. Both of which are emotions I've known for a significant proportion of my life."